General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Virginia Introduces $3550 Speeding Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 10:58 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Virginia Introduces $3550 Speeding Ticket

ORIGINAL: YUCK

arn't the speed limits down there around 75mph on the interstate???? I'm all for that,,,apply the funds for more cops,,,maybe throw in some jail time too.....
Nope. The speed limit on the interstate is 65. 80+ on the interstate is reckless driving and gets you all the new fees.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:00 PM
YUCK
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bottom line is,,, there'snot enough patrol on our highways,,,,so everybody is outta control.....

Old 06-26-2007, 11:04 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ram

IMO tofine / tax or what ever you want to call it to only "state residences" and not to those passing through is DISCRIMINATING.

I can tell you why it only applies to in state residents is because it is a civil action, not a fine fortraffic offense or a criminal offense. Here's how it works.....If a resident doesn't pay the fee, the DMV will suspend their license as part of a civil process. The state can't make an out of stater come back and face civil penalties and they can't suspend your license in your homestate. However, beware that if you are from out of state and get one of these fees imposed and do not pay the state will suspend your priveledge to operate a motor vehicle in Virginia.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:16 PM
57springer57
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this will put a big dent in the harley chrome fund guys [sm=escape.gif]

Old 06-26-2007, 11:24 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldn't have a problem with it at all....if it were not for the fact that the guy introducing the bill is a partner in a freakin traffic law firm . It reaks of impropriety.

When it comes down to it....75 MEANS 75, and if you have a problem with paying attention to your speed, set the cruise control. It would appear on the surface however, that Mr. Legislator is getting a client list built up for after his run in politics.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:27 PM
Law Dawg
Road Warrior

Heard a couple Lawyers have already commented anonomously about this new legislation. anonomous cause they are waiting in the wings for $$$$. As one put it I stand to benefit from this legislation

Old 06-27-2007, 12:25 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,858 Likes on 807 Posts

At least the scumbag politician is being honest. No hiding behind some bogus "public safety" bullsh*t... it's all about revenu generation... like ALL speeding fines. Sadly, I'll have to be going through part of VA during my Gettysburg trip...

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 06-27-2007, 12:43 AM
BuckeyeHD
Tourer

6 friggin points for no turn signal? Legislate my a$$ out of Virginia will ya? What happened to land of the free? I see more and more legislation coming down the pike every day and it makes me puke. Of course, I wouldn't knowingly not signal (or speed) but what if my signal cancelled just befoie the turn because I put it on early and that's when the Leo saw me?

Old 06-27-2007, 12:43 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

Isnt it nice to be 40 somethin and to blind to speed? I remember when you couldbe goin a 130 and runof the road drunk and out of your mind and it would cost ya 100 bucks and even do it twice in one day!!!

Old 06-27-2007, 02:08 AM
Jules
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow that's way overboard. I have 3 speeding on my record right now, one for 11 over trying to beat the rain on a deserted 2 lane, one 14 over as I was pulling into town and the limit dropped, didn't slow down in time, and another one I forget the speed but it was in a construction zone at night with noone working,I figured I'd be good since noone was there, I was wrong. Basically with the new laws written up like that I'd be looking at a few thousand dollars in fines, jail time, and an annual speeding tax? That's more than what a lot of real criminals get in other states. I'm an MP on Fort Riley, we had a guy a few weeks ago get 120 days jail time for Arson and insurance fraud for burning a car then claiming insurance money. How does Arson get a lighter sentance than speeding?

Quick Reply: Virginia Introduces $3550 Speeding Ticket