Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchasing out-of-state

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 05:30 PM
rvisdew
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing out-of-state

I live near Las Vegas where "the" H-D dealer sells their bikes for "over" MSRP. I am finding that when I talk to dealers out-of-state that they don't want to sell to me, stating that they will lose an allocation (for the coming year) if they don't sell in "their" area.

I dunno if there is anyway a dealer could not sell to me, if I pushed it, but don't think this is right.

Any comments?

Old 10-20-2005, 05:56 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Purchasing out-of-state

Carolina H-D in Gastonia will not sell to anyone who lives more than 60 miles away. I never understood their reason.

Old 10-20-2005, 07:07 PM
LouieWideGlide
Cruiser

I bought my 05 Wide Glide from an out of state dealer. They shouldn't care, money is money. I live in NY, and I picked it up in CT. Bridgeport Harley sells for MSRP, no questions asked. I didn't pay setup fees or any of that other nonsense. What it said on Harleys website is what I paid. Great dealership, although it is quite a trip for you.

Old 10-20-2005, 08:26 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 65 Posts

I thought Henderson HD sold for MSRP? I know they are owned by the same people as Las Vegas, but being a lot smaller they deal a little.

Old 10-20-2005, 08:35 PM
rvisdew
Road Master

So far, Henderson H-D is not willing to move off of the "inflated" MSRP ... they will "give" me the Riders Edge class ($350) ...

Old 10-20-2005, 08:42 PM
Wide Glide 05
Tourer

I have a good story on HD prices. I have been riding bikes since I was 17, always a rice burner, never had sense to get a HD. Finally, after working with more Harley owners than other brands, I got the fever. Everybody had a HD it seemed, even a babe in the shop! I was due to go to Deleware for 2 months of C-5 aircraft school so I sold the Honda Magna and started to locate the HD Dealers in Deleware. I had priced them in Ohio before leaving and even found the silver pearl I wanted. One weekend while in school, we went north to New Castle, home of Mike's Famous HD. Well, there on the floor sat the bike I wanted for a long time, a Wide Glide. It was white and I wanted the silver pearl but I flipped the price tag over and then about FELL OVER!!! $5,000 more than the same bike in Ohio! I ask what the heck was added to the bike and the kind salesman said "nuthin, why??? Well, I bought a t-shirt and hat and proceeded to call back home and put money down on the silver pearl. Picked it up on a weekend when I came home and then went back to school for a long month wait till I got back home for good. 4,900 miles later and it is still the greatest feeling in the world when I start it up!

Old 10-20-2005, 09:44 PM
SHEP
Tourer

Dealers can charge whatever they want to but I will not buy from one who inflates their prices. Shop around.
I probably will never buy a new bike again unless it's a new model and I "just have to have it", although I really don't see that happening. There are to many decent deals on used bikes. I bought a really nice '01 Heritage last spring for $13,000. Had a lot of nice extras. I just got back from a 2400 mile trip and didn't have a bit of trouble with it.

Old 10-20-2005, 11:24 PM
Unibomber
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WHOOP WHOOP, ALERT, DONT BUY FROM A VEGAS DEALER !!!!
My dad, has been taken for a ride twice, once from Vegas Harley and Once from Henderson Harley, way over MSRP no dealing, not even a reach around. Do yourself a favor and slow down, take a deep breath and do the following.
1. Make sure you know the exact bike you want (not based on hersay or anything else) test ride before you make a decision.
2. Get your butt on the net and on the phone, find 10 good dealers as close to your home as possible.
3. Determine the total price including gas to get the dahm thing, and the travel expenses if you plan on riding it home.
4 DONT be afraid to pick one up a state or two away, the ride home is worth it !!! and knowing you didnt get screwed is even better.

I would start checking www.cycletrader.com use their search engine, it will give you an idea of some msrp dealers and some REAL prices. If your getting prices over the phone make sure the dealer isnt mistakenly taggin on their sales tax, you dont pay theirs, you pay your home states when you register.

Also check this dealer for a guide, they are an MSRP dealer that advertises thier bikes out the door price no BS
www.hdcoosbay.com
Happy Trails
I bought mine in Washington two months ago, no probs, under MSRP with extras......
I live in Nevada

Old 10-21-2005, 05:57 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

I bought my Springer out of state and they didn't have any problems with it. I live about 90 miles from the nearest dealer to me.

Old 10-21-2005, 10:59 AM
Twohulabears
Road Captain

What shop in Washington did you buy from?

Quick Reply: Purchasing out-of-state