General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Road Glide or Street Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 01:58 PM
Red Ninja
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2018 Road Glide or Street Glide?

Hello,

I am looking at a couple 2018 bikes, but cannot seem to make up my mind. I test rode a 2018 street glide special and a 2018 road glide special. Road glide was super comfy, but I don't really care about the looks of the front fairing.

Anybody run into same dilemma? Also, the dealer insist on not showing the msrp tag. It looks like they have road glide 1, 2 and 3 as I was looking at some trunks on the store's website. It would be nice to store a drone or the full size helmet. How do I know which version is a particular bike? Also, anybody have any ideas on when the 2019s come out? Will it wort to wait?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:07 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,716 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Ninja
Hello,

I am looking at a couple 2018 bikes, but cannot seem to make up my mind. I test rode a 2018 street glide special and a 2018 road glide special. Road glide was super comfy, but I don't really care about the looks of the front fairing.

Anybody run into same dilemma? Also, the dealer insist on not showing the msrp tag. It looks like they have road glide 1, 2 and 3 as I was looking at some trunks on the store's website. It would be nice to store a drone or the full size helmet. How do I know which version is a particular bike? Also, anybody have any ideas on when the 2019s come out? Will it wort to wait?

Thanks in advance.
Both bikes are identical, except for the fairings... the Street Glide is mounted to the forks, and the Road Glide is mounted to the frame.

I love the look of the new Road Glide, so that wasn't an issue for me. Having gone from a "batwing" (the fork mounted Street Glide fairing) to the Road Glide, I find the bike roomier, less turbulent, and easier to handle, both high and low speed (your mileage may vary).

The 2019's will come out in a little over a month. Is it worth waiting? HELL YES! If only because the 18's will begin to get discounted.

Good luck!

Old 07-05-2018, 03:15 PM
rjrides
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer the Road Glide as I come from the sport bike world and prefer the fixed fairing. I ended up with the Road Glide Ultra as I like the extra space the tour pak provides, now if I had to do it again I would probably go with the Road Glide Special and add on the tour pak as I like the looks of the special's fender and painted inner fairing among other things that the Special affords.

MSRP, just ask that salesman to see the printout or match up the model to that listed on H-D.com

2019 models should be unveiled in August... If there's anything new other than colors is going to be just a guess at this point

Old 07-05-2018, 06:07 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Road glide was super comfy, but I don't really care about the looks of the front fairing.
........ get over it.

How do I know which version is a particular bike?
........ Road Glide Standard is the base version w/non-touch screen radio
....... Road Glide Special has CVO bag bottoms & a painted inner & other stuff
........ Road Glide Ultra comes with tour pak, touring saddle & a headset connection in the dash
.... the same tour pak fits all the models

anybody have any ideas on when the 2019s come out
... new models are intro'd at the summer Dealer Meeting
........ August 20-23

Old 07-05-2018, 06:39 PM
RKC1965
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I walked into dealer in same situation. Planning on a SG but ended up with the RG. Bike tracks way better on highway. I wasn’t big on the looks at first but I got over it real quick.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:08 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Too many Road Glides out there. Get the black Street Glide and be different.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cygnusx51:
JohnSWA (07-06-2018), mastergunnera8 (07-05-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 09:05 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 216 Posts

SGS, yet, I wish I had spent more time with the RG. Either way, you can't really go wrong.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:25 PM
DelRider
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51
Too many Road Glides out there. Get the black Street Glide and be different. /s
Hey,you forgot to add your sarcasm tag, let me take care of that for you ;-}

To the OP, ride both, it is just a matter of personal preference. The SG feels more compact, the RG feels more open and can have some glare off the screens if the sun is _just_ right. The RGS is the perfect bike, but you should get the SG just to be different :-D

Old 07-06-2018, 04:37 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 459 Likes on 358 Posts

Road Glide or Street Glide the debate continues LOL

For me it all came down to the test ride, after 20 years on WideGlides I decided to move to a Touring bike and the Street Glide was high on my list. I had never ridden a Road Glide but had ridden several bat wing touring bikes. I know some have an issue with the looks of the RG but for me I liked the looks so I decided to give one a try. My first reaction was that the bike handled much lighter/easier in slow speed maneuvers, I honestly felt like it was much closer to turning/controlling a cruiser with no faring. The other thing that made an impression with me is the RG felt roomier behind the fairing than the SG, I am 6'7" so this was very noticeable to me. I ended up with a Road Glide Ultra and have been very happy, I have been pleasantly surprised at how well this bike handles wind, no matter if it is strong cross winds or turbulence from 18 wheelers, the bike tracks great and is not affected by the wind at all.

You mentioned wanting to add a Tour pack , the tour pack is one of the main reasons I went with the Road Glide Ultra vs the Road glide Special. In 2017 there was about $2500 difference between a RGU and RGS with the biggest differences being the lower fairing and Tour pack on the RGU. The lower fairings was not a big concern for me but I did know that if I purchased a RGS I would be adding the tour pack and passenger backrest for my wife who rides with me a lot. To add that at the time was going to cost close to $2500, so why not just go with the RGU and have everything there.

In 2018 the pricing changed when they blacked out the RGS, for example if you compare MSRP on a black RGS and a black RGU there is only $100 difference in the cost. The main differences is the RGU is chrome where the RGS is blacked out, the RGU comes with tour pack and lowers. So basically if you are wanting to have the bike blacked out it may be worth it to purchase the RGS and add tour pack, However if you want or are OK with chrome it makes more since to pay $100 more and get the RGU that already has the tour pack there.

As far as waiting on the 2019s vs buying now I would probably say wait at this point as the new bikes will release within a couple months. There may be some new things on the 2019s or there may be a color you prefer vs 2018, also when the 2019s release you will probably be able to cut a little bit better deal on the 2018s

Old 07-06-2018, 09:59 AM
Dwebber18
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I liked the feel of the Street Glide over the Road Glide personally. The Road Glide felt really big even though I know it really isn't, I'm also not sure I could get it in my garage where I wanted to. I also got more buffeting on the Road Glide but I'm tall and either bike would have needed a taller wind screen. That being said, I got a Road King Special and it fits my needs just fine. See if you can get a bit longer test ride on each and hit the highway and side roads. I also distrust dealers that won't show a price on a bike forcing you to ask. There is a big dealer near me that does that and when I asked the price on a base Road King Special he "had to go check" and told me a price $5k over MSRP and one with a stage 3 was $15k over base MSRP. I held on to my wallet while I walked out and went to another dealer who advertise MSRP and are willing to negotiate. My wife asked why I didn't negotiate at the first dealer and I told her it would be a waste of time to do all that negotiation and just end up right back at MSRP. Go to a dealer that doesn't hide pricing or play games like that. Also, write down or print out what you are looking at from HD and some comparable bikes from Cycle Trader on identical/similar models. That way you have a better idea about fair market price and what other dealers across the country are asking.

Quick Reply: 2018 Road Glide or Street Glide?