General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Road Glide or Street Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 12:36 PM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

I was planning to get a SGS for the extended bags and big touch screen. Ended up getting a SG standard with premium radio upgrade. The extended bags didn't seem like they were worth the difference in money...although the anti-lock brakes would be nice to have.

Last edited by Cowpokey; 07-06-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:53 PM
n5tf
Tourer
Received 184 Likes on 67 Posts

2017 RGS and its perfect for me....Added quick disconnect travel pack kit and bought an aftermarket box on ebay because I only use it on trips... Like many here, I went into dealership thinking I was going to buy SGS and ended up with the shark. Not sorry at all.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:46 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

It's amazing how many people are going sharks anymore. Couple years ago you could count on one hand the people wanting to even look at one, let alone buy.

Harley must of did it right.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:49 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,716 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Originally Posted by DanHappy
It's amazing how many people are going sharks anymore. Couple years ago you could count on one hand the people wanting to even look at one, let alone buy.

Harley must of did it right.
I was the first in my group to go shark. Now, there are four more.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:58 PM
Blackline Nagurski
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went to dealership leaning on a 18' RGS in the pearl white and ended up with an 18' SGS in the salt denim white. I really preferred the console up close and the tighter feel. Riding them I noticed a tiny difference with handling at low speed but not enough where it would matter. Coming off a chopped up softail I was floored with the handling and ride quality on both. I used to **** on baggers but I've never had a bike that I just wanted to ride and have enjoyed more than this one and I've had a lot of bikes over the years. Overall both are outstanding bikes, cant go wrong with either, it comes down to what you like.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:02 PM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior
Received 509 Likes on 344 Posts

From a SG owner, if looks dont matter..... Get the RG. Its the better all arounder. Im just a SG guy and have zero issues riding all day in the saddle thru twisties or open road. Just cant get past the face of the RG, especially with tall bars I like to run. They just look off to me.

The following users liked this post:
Cowpokey (07-06-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 02:04 PM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member

Received 6,489 Likes on 1,796 Posts

HD dealer meeting this year ( In San Diego) is Aug 20-24, and new models will hit the dealers at the same time. 19s are supposed to have a couple different components addressing issues with the 17/18s.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:17 PM
Firenailer
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

I test rode them both and felt like the SGS was a better physical fit for me. 11K on on the odometer and I’ve got no complaints. I guess it comes down to which one YOU feel better on.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:22 PM
n5tf
Tourer
Received 184 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Firenailer
I test rode them both and felt like the SGS was a better physical fit for me. 11K on on the odometer and I’ve got no complaints. I guess it comes down to which one YOU feel better on.
Agree 100%, buy the one that fits you best...

Old 07-06-2018, 09:21 PM
Red Ninja
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tony P

SGS, yet, I wish I had spent more time with the RG. Either way, you can't really go wrong.
Funny, this is the color too. Red ones are always faster.

Originally Posted by rigidthumper
HD dealer meeting this year ( In San Diego) is Aug 20-24, and new models will hit the dealers at the same time. 19s are supposed to have a couple different components addressing issues with the 17/18s.
What are those issues you mentioned? Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by Mxdad
Road Glide or Street Glide the debate continues LOL

For me it all came down to the test ride, after 20 years on WideGlides I decided to move to a Touring bike and the Street Glide was high on my list. I had never ridden a Road Glide but had ridden several bat wing touring bikes. I know some have an issue with the looks of the RG but for me I liked the looks so I decided to give one a try. My first reaction was that the bike handled much lighter/easier in slow speed maneuvers, I honestly felt like it was much closer to turning/controlling a cruiser with no faring. The other thing that made an impression with me is the RG felt roomier behind the fairing than the SG, I am 6'7" so this was very noticeable to me. I ended up with a Road Glide Ultra and have been very happy, I have been pleasantly surprised at how well this bike handles wind, no matter if it is strong cross winds or turbulence from 18 wheelers, the bike tracks great and is not affected by the wind at all.

You mentioned wanting to add a Tour pack , the tour pack is one of the main reasons I went with the Road Glide Ultra vs the Road glide Special. In 2017 there was about $2500 difference between a RGU and RGS with the biggest differences being the lower fairing and Tour pack on the RGU. The lower fairings was not a big concern for me but I did know that if I purchased a RGS I would be adding the tour pack and passenger backrest for my wife who rides with me a lot. To add that at the time was going to cost close to $2500, so why not just go with the RGU and have everything there.

In 2018 the pricing changed when they blacked out the RGS, for example if you compare MSRP on a black RGS and a black RGU there is only $100 difference in the cost. The main differences is the RGU is chrome where the RGS is blacked out, the RGU comes with tour pack and lowers. So basically if you are wanting to have the bike blacked out it may be worth it to purchase the RGS and add tour pack, However if you want or are OK with chrome it makes more since to pay $100 more and get the RGU that already has the tour pack there.

As far as waiting on the 2019s vs buying now I would probably say wait at this point as the new bikes will release within a couple months. There may be some new things on the 2019s or there may be a color you prefer vs 2018, also when the 2019s release you will probably be able to cut a little bit better deal on the 2018s
I like the option of having room for some storage for long trips. I didn't know it is only $100 difference between these 2 bikes. I must mention that I like the sportier looks of the road glide / street glide special with something like a quick release trunk. Thank you.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-07-2018 at 09:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Tony P (07-09-2018)

Quick Reply: 2018 Road Glide or Street Glide?