General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UltraCool oil cooler- not exactly what I was expecting

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018 | 05:17 PM
Bluraven
|
Grand HDF Member
Default UltraCool oil cooler- not exactly what I was expecting

I just installed an UltraCool ST-1C oil cooler.
The install went fairly well and I would say that most people could do the install themselves as long as they've got basic mechanical abilities.
I took my time and the install took me about 3.5 hours and that included about 20 minutes watching an UltraCool install YouTube video.

Here's the bike specs-
2009 Heritage, V&H staggards, FuelPak 1, SE air cleaner, Reckless Fairing, Leather Pros leather lowers (mentioned only due to their potential in depleting airflow), AMSOIL synthetic 20W50 oil and AMSOIL 75W110 gear oil.

Prior to the install I took the bike on a 20 mile ride where-as about 13 miles was highway and 7 miles was moderate stop and go traffic.

Here's what I noted:
Prior to cooler install-
Outside temp- 90F
Starting oil temp- 82F (based on Harley digital oil temp gauge)

After the 20 mile ride-
Outside temp -90F
Oil temp- 256F.

The next day I installed the UltraCool oil cooler and took the same route.
Here's what I experienced:

After cooler install-
Outside temp- 94F
Starting oil temp- 82F

After the 20 mile ride-
Outside temp- 94F
Oil temp- 240F

So it appears the oil cooler lowered the temp by 16 degrees which to be honest I was expecting 20+ degrees.
The fans didn't turn on for the entire 13 mile highway ride but turned on almost immediately once I got into stop and go traffic.

It was 4 degrees warmer on the day of the install so that might have a minor impact on the oil temp but I wouldn't think that would be more than a degree or two.

I went ahead and installed the optional LED that comes on whenever the fans are running which is when the oil temp is 210 degrees.

The LED is installed just to the left of my stereo head unit.
The first pic the LED is off due to the fans are off and the second pic is with the fans running.

I guess the question is what value is an oil temp. that is around 20 degrees cooler and is it worth $420 to obtain it?
Well I will say I could certainly notice the lower temp on my legs so that's a plus.

Obviously lower oil temp should result is less oil breakdown which should result in improved engine life however seeing the V-Twin is designed to run hot I'm not sure if 20 degrees cooler is a great benefit.

Anyway, I'm glad I went ahead and got this oil cooler and certainly think a fan assisted one is the way to go.
The $420 I used to purchase the oil cooler was from a surprise incentive bonus I got from work so it was kind of "free" money.

Tomorrow I'm going to take the same test ride but this time I'll turn on my Love Jugs Mighty Mites and see if air cooling has any impact.

Last edited by Bluraven; 06-28-2018 at 05:20 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Bluraven:
benscratchin (11-01-2021), Big Mule (06-29-2018), lionsm13 (06-29-2018), tmac00333 (09-12-2018)
Old 06-28-2018 | 05:28 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member

I'm interested in the results with the love jugs running

Old 06-28-2018 | 06:41 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Put me down as interested as well. I have a 107 Twin Cam that only has Wards fans, no oil cooler. I run them anytime the engine is running above 60 degrees. I couldn't tell you what my oil temps are.

Old 06-28-2018 | 07:13 PM
Tarkus60
Road Warrior

So to me 20 miles is not enough.....if the oil cooler keeps your temp at 240 or below after a all day ride then you are golden.
I installed a MoCo cooler....on my 88, 219 is the highest I have seen. Before the cooler I was in the high 220's.
I think its a long term solution.
My 2 cents........

Old 06-28-2018 | 07:34 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

IIRC the cooler on the twin cams is on the pressure side of the engine, not the return side. Depending on where you were taking the temp from, (oil pan?) that oil is still nearly 20 degrees cooler AFTER passing through the motor. Cooler oil allows for a greater temperature differential between the parts, and the oil that is attempting to cool it down. This is a good thing. Also, going easy (ish) for 20 miles isnt a real test of what the cooler will do for you. In my opinion, its going to be most beneficial under a loaded moving condition (going up a long hill.....) where you still have airflow, but the motor is working its *** off, and therefore producing the most heat.

Bottom line, any cooler is better than no cooler, and additional fans can only help.

Old 06-28-2018 | 07:39 PM
Tired
Grand HDF Member

I've been using an UC Reefer on my Street Glide for a couple years. So far I'm pretty pleased with the job it does. Especially if you have been running long and fast on a hot day then hit stop and go traffic. That's when I really noticed it keeping the oil temp reasonable and not getting the big hot spike.

Old 06-28-2018 | 07:41 PM
Flstcjay
Tourer

Originally Posted by Tarkus60
So to me 20 miles is not enough.....if the oil cooler keeps your temp at 240 or below after a all day ride then you are golden.
I think its a long term solution.
My 2 cents........
I agree with this. If it keeps the bike from overheating on rediculous hot days it’s doing it’s job. In particular would be in stop and go traffic where a normal engine would be burning up.

Old 06-28-2018 | 07:45 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

I have the Wimmer twin tube oil cooler.

I spoke with Ryan Wimmer prior to my purchase and he informed me that I could expect about an 18°-20° drop in oil temperatures. He was spot on. I had a 20° reduction in my oil temps. I live in Texas and, in the summer, my oil temperature is approximately 242° F. It was in the low 260s. I am satisfied with my oil temps in the 240s.

Honestly, I would expect your fan assisted Ultracool to reduce oil temperatures more than the 20° mine did but your 240° oil temperature is reasonable. It is better than 260° which makes your $420 investment worthwhile. It will be interesting to see how much more cooling you get with the jug fans as well.

Old 06-28-2018 | 08:24 PM
Tarkus60
Road Warrior

Bone Doc...nice bike!

The following users liked this post:
Bone Doc (06-29-2018)
Old 06-28-2018 | 10:13 PM
Bluraven
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tarkus60
I installed a MoCo cooler....on my 88, 219 is the highest I have seen. Before the cooler I was in the high 220's.
I think its a long term solution..
I agree 20 miles isn't really a good test but what I was looking for was just proof of some sort that the oil cooler was doing it's job.
I believe it is even if I'm not getting a better than 20 degree drop.

I think you're correct in that an oil cooler is a long term solution.

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
I have the Wimmer twin tube oil cooler.
I looked at the Wimmer and others similar.
I liked the look but felt that the dual fans that turned on at 210 degrees would provide the best performance in stop and go traffic which is where the oil gets the hottest.

I personally think that going 65mph on the open highway any oil cooler should perform equally well.

I will say the UltraCool unit is very well made and there ain't anything cheaply about it.
From the braided lines to the screw in fittings, I'm not anticipating anything to fail on this unit.

I did send an e-mail to UltraCool asking for any other tips to dropping the oil temp.
I got an immediate reply and their Lead Tech is going to call me tomorrow to discuss some other possible options.

Last edited by Bluraven; 06-28-2018 at 10:14 PM.

Quick Reply: UltraCool oil cooler- not exactly what I was expecting