General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UltraCool oil cooler- not exactly what I was expecting

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018 | 06:24 AM
Bluraven
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Death Valley Ultra
I do not use any coolers what so ever. I just ride for pleasure.
Thanks for your input but the subject here is the UltraCool oil cooler not whether or not an oil cooler is needed or beneficial.
Ride Safe!!!

Last edited by Bluraven; 07-02-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-02-2018 | 08:03 AM
Robb Liupo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I think it's just a matter of picking one (or both) that you can live with. I have a Corbin saddle on my bike and I can tell you, I feel the heat on my right leg but it isn't too bad because my right foot doesn't hit the deck until I put the jiffy stand down. In the end, I think these engines are a lot more durable than some of us give them credit for and they'd continue to run without either cooling system. I just lucked up on a spare set of Jason's fans here on the forum, I wish I could find a set of silver ones for my old Super Glide.
I totally agree these engines are much more durable than some give them credit for. I recently opened up my 2010 twin cam 96 with 70,000 miles on it and was amazed at how good of shape everything was. No real wear to speak of, absolutely No sludge anywhere. The upper cylinder head looked almost new.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (07-02-2018)
Old 07-24-2018 | 03:12 PM
Tired
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tired
I've been using an UC Reefer on my Street Glide for a couple years. So far I'm pretty pleased with the job it does. Especially if you have been running long and fast on a hot day then hit stop and go traffic. That's when I really noticed it keeping the oil temp reasonable and not getting the big hot spike.
I shouldn't have commented. Noticed a small puddle under the filter area a couple days ago... tracked it down to the UC adapter. Yeah, it's coming off.

Old 07-24-2018 | 06:46 PM
Bluraven
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tired
I shouldn't have commented. Noticed a small puddle under the filter area a couple days ago... tracked it down to the UC adapter. Yeah, it's coming off.
Well no problems with mine so far.
I've check the temperature a few different times and it's always under 230. (assuming my HD oil temp gauge is accurate)

The other day while on an open road ride the fans came on for about 30 minutes and then they shut off which told me the oil had cooled down to 210.
They didn't turn back on until I got back into town.

I'm pleased with it and don't regret the purchase.

Old 09-12-2018 | 06:36 AM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army

XiED's will cool things off a bit also.

Old 09-12-2018 | 07:08 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

As an aside;

a passive way to gain some reduction in operating oil temp is to install a filter relocation kit. I achieved a consistent reduction of about 5 deg F after installing mine, ( according to my now broken HD dipstick temp gauge ).

I also use one of the permanent type filters which have integrated cooling fins but I can't see why any filter, moved from its 2/3 shielded position at the base of the front jug, and hung out where the flowing air can reach it all around, wouldn't achieve similar results. The kit increases oil capacity marginally too which has gotta help.

Old 09-12-2018 | 07:57 AM
RHPAW
Banned

Temperature is just one factor in determining effectiveness. One of the things I noticed was better oil pressure.
BEFORE OIL COOLER - After extended riding near 95+ degrees, the pressure was about 5 lbs. at idle.
AFTER OIL COOLER - Under similar conditions, I've never seen my oil pressure dip below 12 lbs. at idle. Stays at around 27-30 lbs. going down the road.

Old 09-12-2018 | 08:15 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Temperature is just one factor in determining effectiveness. One of the things I noticed was better oil pressure.
BEFORE OIL COOLER - After extended riding near 95+ degrees, the pressure was about 5 lbs. at idle.
AFTER OIL COOLER - Under similar conditions, I've never seen my oil pressure dip below 12 lbs. at idle. Stays at around 27-30 lbs. going down the road.
That a good thing ? One of the reasons I purchased a "high flow" filter was to increase flow, (reducing operating pressure).

Pressure remains at 40 or so on cold startups for me but reduces to negligible levels at hot idle.

Last edited by HKMark23; 09-12-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-12-2018 | 08:26 AM
RHPAW
Banned

I figure the viscosity isn't breaking down as much in the heat. I always hated it when I see my engine oil at the consistency of water. It's like it doesn't stay on a surface long enough to lubricate it.

Old 09-12-2018 | 08:36 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RHPAW
I figure the viscosity isn't breaking down as much in the heat. I always hated it when I see my engine oil at the consistency of water. It's like it doesn't stay on a surface long enough to lubricate it.
Oil viscocities are temperature dependent and by design automotive oils are all around 10 cSt. (Centistokes) at 212 degrees F. Synthetic oils, for example, thicken less on cooling giving rise to the mistaken notion, even by some HD technicians, that synthetics are too "watery" to function. At operating temps, again, all oils are virtually the same with synthetics being superior in film strength,,, just FYI.

Quick Reply: UltraCool oil cooler- not exactly what I was expecting