General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm ready

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 12:52 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
Here is the deal, -Most people think because they can ride a bicycle that the
transition to a motorcycle should be EZ and no problem, it is just balance.
Right?
Wrong!
That's one problem.
The next one -the cadre at large means well, and wants to wish everyone well,- get your murdercycle, you will be OK.
Have a great life!
All will be OK
That is horrible advice!
Here is the probably the best solution-
On a motorcycle, people are trying to kill you from all directions.
We need to train ourselves by hard knocks or the EZ way, - thorugh a school(s) to survive .
Immerse yourself in some motorcycle training, that may include buying a smallish bike and keeping it for a month or six.
It doesn't matter, it is just cost of the training to survive.
They can train you to fly a helicopter in 40 hours or so-
A bike should be looked at about the same way, as you have almost as many axis to deal with.
In a helicopter, we are trained over and over to get reflex reactions.
That should be everyone,'s goal and if you apply it hard it does not take too long .
I know it might seem harsh to some but that's been the thought that I've kept in my mind since I started riding back in '80. ride like everybody is out to kill you. To me, it's better than just floating through life thinking that somebody else will look out for you and take care of you. When I started riding, they didn't have any schools so I learned how to ride on the paved back roads where I live. I practiced and practiced and learned my basic skills there. so you're right, training over and over is the best way, at least in my book anyway, how to do something but then again, I'm old school in my thinking.

The following users liked this post:
Kingglide549 (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 01:00 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

I learned in the hard knocks school in the 60s
( No school like you)
I got run over once in an intersection, I might come across as harsh, caustic, as an **** hole, but I know hat I am talking about.
Again to prove my point-
Go to any busy intersection and watch the presumption from the inexperienced riders.
Watch them blow through never checking anything.

Old 06-29-2018, 01:24 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRINGER
I know it might seem harsh to some but that's been the thought that I've kept in my mind since I started riding back in '80. ride like everybody is out to kill you. To me, it's better than just floating through life thinking that somebody else will look out for you and take care of you. When I started riding, they didn't have any schools so I learned how to ride on the paved back roads where I live. I practiced and practiced and learned my basic skills there. so you're right, training over and over is the best way, at least in my book anyway, how to do something but then again, I'm old school in my thinking.
Originally Posted by Kingglide549
I learned in the hard knocks school in the 60s
( No school like you)
I got run over once in an intersection, I might come across as harsh, caustic, as an **** hole, but I know hat I am talking about.
Again to prove my point-
Go to any busy intersection and watch the presumption from the inexperienced riders.
Watch them blow through never checking anything.
I was old enough to ride back in the 60's but couldn't afford a bike. I sat on/ rode any little bike that they'd let me on. I got a late start in '80 at the age of 29 because that's when I could finally afford one of my own.. I hear ya about the intersection thing, been there, done that many times.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:00 PM
Kingglide549
Banned

Yup, bought my first bike when I was about nine or ten.
It was called a lil Indian Mini bike with a 3.5 HP Brigs & Stratton!
WHOOooooooo whooooooooo
They did not have tiny little dirt bikes back then to get started on.
So like most of us have said - Learn the hardway or the EZ way.
The hard way might kill ya!

Old 06-30-2018, 12:15 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 641 Likes on 495 Posts

Ya know, kingglide549 often says things that I feel like saying...but like me, he came up in a world with no World Wide Web...there was another name for political correctness...and snowflakes definitely did not ride Harleys.

Fortunately, there are Vespa forums for sensitive folks. If someone wants to pony up on a Harley forum, they'd best be prepared for a hardtail ride.

Just sayin'...

The following users liked this post:
Kingglide549 (06-30-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 03:15 AM
Kingglide549
Banned

I thinks you said that pretty dang good!

Old 06-30-2018, 03:58 AM
RedRanger7
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Dont buy til you have taken your course!!! Im sure your trainers and fellow students will be putting ideas into your head, just like this forum. A few students in my class many years ago bought new bikes before the course, and were trying to sell them off right after the course, most were 250 cc. We will be waiting to hear your story after the course is completed, and see what you are going to purchase. Get a feel and then decide.
Dave 2004 XL1200C Sportster

Old 06-30-2018, 04:00 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 641 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Samjs
Thanks for the replies. I am signed up to take the safety course. I work in insurance, so I know the risks. From what I take the Fat Boy is not the easiest bike to ride and the road king is more comfortable which I like. I don't plan on any aggressive riding. I am 5'11 200 pounds and pretty coordinated. Just wanted to hear from people with experience on these bikes. I drive my truck with caution and plan on the same with the bike. Never had a ticket. I plan on using the bike as my get away from the stresses of life. I have some great roads with not much traffic around. Thanks again.
Some points I'd like to make...with all due respect...You actually don't know the risks until you, yourself, are exposed to them, and often. We probably never PLAN on aggressive riding, however, at the same time, you don't want to be a timid rider. There's an acquaintance I ride with from time to time who is VERY timid, and he actually puts other riders at risk. He's too stupid to realize it, and he is not receptive to suggestions, because, again...he's stupid. Only reason I ride with him ever is because he's the husband of my wife's best friend...otherwise, I'd have cut him loose long ago.

Who you REALLY need to hear from is another person who has ridden a Fat Boy or Heritage as their FIRST bike. Because you are coming back into the hobby some time after you left it, in my opinion, you are at high risk. You might think that your physical abilities and reactions are the same as when you were first riding...and unless you have kept riding for all those years, that's simply not gonna be the case. If you take advice from someone who rides a similar scooter as the one you're interested in, but they've been riding for the last thirty years that you've been out of it, it's an apples and oranges comparison.

If you're considering just puttin' around, don't limit yourself to Harleys...you can get the same satisfaction as riding any brand that actually fits you and your mood.

So, good luck to you, and work on thickening your skin when you get onto Harley forums. It ain't the same thang as the old 'You meet the nicest people on a Honda'...if you can remember that old ad line.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:11 PM
moparnut72
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I am gonna disagree with some of you guys. I say stay away from small light bikes. I started on a bike similar to a Honda 90. I fell on that bike twice. Once on a wet road due to a shower on a slow 90* turn. The second time was on a oil cover exit ramp that was composed of well worn concrete. That time was 30 or 40 mph. I tried to ride it out, It would have made Mees look like an amateur but eventually down I went. I moved up to a 250 Yamaha and even went into a slide once on that due to some reside on the road from a high tide that washed over the road sometime during the night. These bikes were too light to maintain significant traction when conditions got bad. Unfortunately I would have like to have had a Sportster or a Bonneville but the resources weren't there. Granted tires weren't what they are today but still, a heavier bike would not have done any of these slides.

I believe that a Softail would be a perfect choice for this rider.In fact i would recommend a new Fat Bob. I haven't ridden one but have sat on one it feels light and would be agile to ride. I did ride the new Lowrider, nice bike and very easy to control. I wouldn't expect the Fat Bob to be much different. A bigger bike is going to be much more stable than a small light bike. And remember he doesn't have to hit the rev limiter every shift. I have never hit it on mine and probably never will. I race outboard boat and one thing that is said in every drivers meeting is "The throttle works both ways."

I know I said Sporty earlier but after more thought, get a Softy. You might try a Slim, the most stable bike I have ridden.
kk

Old 06-30-2018, 07:46 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,773 Likes on 984 Posts

Samjs, I was pretty much where you are 3 years ago. I had a Honda 50 as a kid but never got a bike as an adult, and suddenly I was 49 and said it's time! I really wanted a Dyna, but ended up with a Sportster XL1200 as my first bike. I'm so glad that's where I started! I LOVED that bike, and I put 24K miles on it. I took all the MSF classes and really learned a lot and became a good rider.

I figured I'd have the Sporty another year, but low and behold, I got the Dyna I always wanted. It probably would've been too much bike to start with, but I'm super comfortable with it now.

Take your time, learn all you can, be safe, and enjoy!