General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacific (West Coast) Rally - Sept 14 to 17, 2007 (update 08/19/07)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007 | 11:57 PM
The Punisher
Banned
Default RE: Pacific (West Coast) Rally - Sept 14 to 17, 2007

Bluerose good luck with planning your rally. I hope it works out well for you guys. I started planning the Mid-Atlantic Rally last year and it's 13 days away and I still don't know if I have everything done for it yet.

Old 06-29-2007 | 04:04 PM
Bluerose

Thanks for the encouragement Punisher...ours will just be smaller and simplerthis year due to the time constaints then hopefully grow.

Any good tips?

BTW...good luck with yours!

Old 07-03-2007 | 03:49 PM
Bluerose

OK guys I only have 1 person so far that as confirmed they will come.
To get any kind ofhotel discounts I will need a few more...I can't call up and say there will be at least 10 rooms booked without at least some clue. I know this is short notice but please PM me if you are planning to come.

Old 07-03-2007 | 03:50 PM
Bluerose

T-Shirts ----

OK I will be posting some t-shirt designs in the next couple of days....

I was thinking a Black long sleeve. I'm trying to keep the cost down but a long sleeve will be more expensive then a traditional short sleeve. Were talking like 25 - 30 for a small run of the shirts a little cheaper if we get to a price point.

Comments on this? Sound reasonable?

Old 07-05-2007 | 06:15 PM
HD Jake
Road Warrior

Dates look good, I am in.
We should look for groups that will leave around the same time travel out so we can have a road captian and travel safely to and from

Old 07-05-2007 | 06:33 PM
Scurvy Jack
Tourer

First...thanks for stepping up and being willing to take this on BlueRose. I know what it's like to plan these trips and it's not easy getting it rolling. (FYI...I help plan 2 four-day trips each year and it involves 80-100 bikes in a group each time, around 1500 miles roundtrip)

May I ask some questions?
What is your latest date that you can book a group of rooms at the hotel? This and a ballpark price for each room (close quote/estimate) will help many decide if it's worth going since the room cost will be the largest expense, then gas and food, then entertainment/fees for the parks.

This sounds a bit odd (?) but would you be willing to move the event location closer to LA/SoCal area if there's not a whole lot of response from further out...ie. Bay Area, Phoenix, Nevada, etc.? I'm asking this based on the amount of miles that people would have to commit to just getting to Mammoth and back. I don't mind the mileage from San Diego, but then again I ride to Phoenix and Silver City, NM on a regular basis so I'm used to it. Many people don't ride those distances on a regular enough basis to really want to commit to it for a weekend. Some of the longer distances will have people putting on over 1200 miles just to visit people they only know by "screen name". I'm saying this not to discourage but to possibly make the event easier to manage.

Would you be willing to make it a three-day event? It may be easier to get people to commit to riding to Mammoth on Friday, spend Saturday with the group, then head for home on Sunday. Give them the option to stick around until Monday if they want.

Someone also suggested some alternate rides. For starting an event like this it actually is a good idea because people don't know each other and their riding habits/skills for large group riding. I'll probably be safe in saying that most all of us have ridden in groups of 5-6 bikes, maybe more. Plan several rides to choose from, ranging from a couple of hours long to an all day ride such as Yosemite, find out what people are interested in and then schedule around those interests. Then plan evening group activities where people can get better acquainted like around a pool/jacuzzi or a local bar with music.

Some other random notes: The larger the group ride, the better organized it must be with a couple of lead riders and a couple of sweeps, both of which should have experience doing so. This will keep the group safer and make for a more enjoyable ride.

The bigger the group, the longer it takes for gassing up and getting food.

Our 4-day events, we usually plan the last dinner meal as an entire group event and reserve a restaurant that can give us a meal at a reasonable price.

To keep the cost of t-shirts within reason, try to stick with an easy design that can be done with one color. The price climbs when you start adding color, especially if you're planning on a run of 25-40 shirts. (unless of course, someone on the forum knows someone who knows someone, etc...)

I'll help you where I can from down here. Feel free to ask here or PM me. I'll check my calender and see if I can get that weekend set aside. If not with the wife, then by myself. I know there's several forum members from this area.

Dan

Old 07-05-2007 | 06:42 PM
HD Jake
Road Warrior

I work for a major Hotel chain and if it was in or near a more metro area I could probubly get us a nice rate.
Blue Rose or Survy, PM me and I will give some details

Old 07-05-2007 | 11:03 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: Scurvy Jack

First...thanks for stepping up and being willing to take this on BlueRose. I know what it's like to plan these trips and it's not easy getting it rolling. (FYI...I help plan 2 four-day trips each year and it involves 80-100 bikes in a group each time, around 1500 miles roundtrip)

May I ask some questions?
What is your latest date that you can book a group of rooms at the hotel? This and a ballpark price for each room (close quote/estimate) will help many decide if it's worth going since the room cost will be the largest expense, then gas and food, then entertainment/fees for the parks.

This sounds a bit odd (?) but would you be willing to move the event location closer to LA/SoCal area if there's not a whole lot of response from further out...ie. Bay Area, Phoenix, Nevada, etc.? I'm asking this based on the amount of miles that people would have to commit to just getting to Mammoth and back. I don't mind the mileage from San Diego, but then again I ride to Phoenix and Silver City, NM on a regular basis so I'm used to it. Many people don't ride those distances on a regular enough basis to really want to commit to it for a weekend. Some of the longer distances will have people putting on over 1200 miles just to visit people they only know by "screen name". I'm saying this not to discourage but to possibly make the event easier to manage.

Would you be willing to make it a three-day event? It may be easier to get people to commit to riding to Mammoth on Friday, spend Saturday with the group, then head for home on Sunday. Give them the option to stick around until Monday if they want.

Someone also suggested some alternate rides. For starting an event like this it actually is a good idea because people don't know each other and their riding habits/skills for large group riding. I'll probably be safe in saying that most all of us have ridden in groups of 5-6 bikes, maybe more. Plan several rides to choose from, ranging from a couple of hours long to an all day ride such as Yosemite, find out what people are interested in and then schedule around those interests. Then plan evening group activities where people can get better acquainted like around a pool/jacuzzi or a local bar with music.

Some other random notes: The larger the group ride, the better organized it must be with a couple of lead riders and a couple of sweeps, both of which should have experience doing so. This will keep the group safer and make for a more enjoyable ride.

The bigger the group, the longer it takes for gassing up and getting food.

Our 4-day events, we usually plan the last dinner meal as an entire group event and reserve a restaurant that can give us a meal at a reasonable price.

To keep the cost of t-shirts within reason, try to stick with an easy design that can be done with one color. The price climbs when you start adding color, especially if you're planning on a run of 25-40 shirts. (unless of course, someone on the forum knows someone who knows someone, etc...)

I'll help you where I can from down here. Feel free to ask here or PM me. I'll check my calender and see if I can get that weekend set aside. If not with the wife, then by myself. I know there's several forum members from this area.

Dan
Woo hoo Volenteers! I'm new to this and can soooo use the help.

Hotel rooms:
I do not know a drop dead date for the hotel...I was going to call them over the weekend but a friend was ill and I ended up with no time (Very ill []). My boss is out this week so I'm also massively busy, and I had to get hubby off to Hollister. That is a slow time for Mammoth so I guessed I had a couple more weeks which would put us right at the 6 week mark. Since

Old 07-06-2007 | 02:17 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member

Again, Thank you Rose for all your hard work. Vesta and I would love to join everyone for a 'meet and greet'. We have done the Mammoth ride a couple of times, remember the "Mean Mountain Run" of a couple of years ago.
BUT
The following3 weeks are two major rides. Street Vibrations in Reno, and Bikefest in Las Vegas. We are leaving the week after your proposed run and doing about 1500 miles from here to Reno, down to Bullhead / Laughlin, back to Las Vegas for Bikefest, then home.
Don't want to influence your choices, or cause you any stress, but if you decide to make it closer we would probably join in. Just don't want to add another 7 or 8 hundred miles onto the 1500 the following week.
Good Luck, we all appreciate your hard work.

Old 07-06-2007 | 03:20 PM
Scurvy Jack
Tourer

Tell your daughter she did good with the elephant. That is a great design. Something like that as a back pic on the t-shirt I would pay extra for...check on a price...

I'd suggest to keep planning it as you put it together and as the time gets closer, then you can tweak it as needed. A poll sounds good, probably should post this where everyone can see it and not just in the general area. Where...I'm not sure...there are quite a few SoCal riders in the softail area.

Quick Reply: Pacific (West Coast) Rally - Sept 14 to 17, 2007 (update 08/19/07)