General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatigue, what does it do to you?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 08:18 PM
Derrickd95
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fatigue, what does it do to you?

I went camping with the family this weekend and I drove my superglide. I worked Friday so I was up at 4:45 and worked 8 hours then we left. 2 hour ride then another hour driving low speed 2-5mph in a RV park looking for a spot. It was a mix of horrible blacktop and super loose gravel. So I parked the camper in three different spots and they all had broken electrical boxes and we decided enough is enough. Let's leave and go home. By this time it's 11pm. So I'm wiped out tired and we end up sleeping in the camper at a rest area for the rest of the night. Anyway. I noticed when I felt the fatigue kick in, my low speed turns from a stop was horrible and my braking coming to a stop sign was not as crisp as normal. The next morning still a little bit worn out. Same thing poor slow speed driving. Today only two issues but overall pretty good. Just wondering who else here has experienced fatigue during riding and what it did to your skills?

The following users liked this post:
mazz (06-26-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 08:29 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

I don’t realty understand your post. But I will say I don’t ride when I’m overly tired, I don’t ride. I rode on a day that I was really tired and ended up spacing out on a slow curve warning. once. I went into a curve that had gravel on it, 20 mph too fast. Luckily I was able to ride it out on the grass shoulder, and not end up crashing into a ravine.

Last edited by Ron750; 06-24-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:31 PM
Derrickd95
Novice

I'm saying when you are physically fatigued what does it do to your riding skills? What affect do you notice or sticks out to you.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:54 PM
BuzzCap7
Club Member
Received 18,575 Likes on 10,772 Posts

I tend to agree with Ron750.

If I was that tired, then I am into the next motel or hotel I come across. No matter how close I am to home. Being that tired is not, not, not worth an accident.

I rarely get that tired. If I did, I would do as stated above. Staying hydrated will help. Sucking a tart candy is good too.

I am effected with slow reactions, sloppy turns, and not planning where I am going that well.

Man really, when u r that tuckered, pull into someplace where you can get some quality shut eye.

BuzzCap7

Old 06-24-2018, 10:25 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

When we are younger we dont notice it, at 65 I do.
I know the symptoms and stop.
I start missing stuff-a driveway gets pas me,
a car driver does something wrong and I have a slow-motion response.
I am no longer instant responding but trudging.
The symptom is this-I no longer am in harmony with the bike.
It becomes a thought process rather than a natural dance.
I call it the waltz.
Once my reactions become more mechanical than natural I know its quitting time.
I NEVER putt through a strange town at dusk or dark.
It is the recipe for a wreck.
Remedy?
Start early on trips and quit early.
Get the full use of the motel room.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:14 AM
Derrickd95
Novice

I ended up stopping at a rest stop about two miles down. Locked up the bike and crawled in the camper. It's weird even at 37 I'm still on a Navy sleep schedule lol. I guess I wrote this thread as a reminder of sleep, fatigue and how it affects us on our bikes.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:23 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,138 Likes on 2,682 Posts

yes absolutely.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:36 PM
2wheelwanderer
Road Master

Received 534 Likes on 268 Posts

Some years ago Dad and I were in Nashville. Heat and humidity were killing us. Dad wasn't staying hydrated like I was, to the point I was getting mad at him. We pulled into a packed parking lot and shared a parking space. He pulled in before me, I pulled in right behind and to the side of him. He was so out of it he forgot to put his kickstand down and dropped his bike into mine. I didn't have my stand down yet and couldn't get off my bike to help him less my bike fall into the truck beside me. Luckily a good Samaritan passed by just in time to help get his bike upright.

I know this goes on a tangent a bit from the OP, but stay hydrated with quality liquids on a hot day. It could have been a whole lot worse for him. Fatigue isn't just sleep related.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:06 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 898 Likes on 518 Posts

In my line of work, fatigue risk management is a very real part of the job, and we deal with it every single day. And, fatigue can manifest itself before we even climb into the cockpit - or before we climb on the bike. It can cause you to pack the bike wrong, forget to get gas, or make bad decisions. It can also cause a threatening degradation of motor skills - where tasks that should be second nature are suddenly difficult to perform. Aviation studies have shown that flying fatigued is just as hazardous as flying under the influence of alcohol - your judgement is impaired just that much. And, it's the same thing in a car or on a bike - but it's amplified on two wheels because of the increased risk factor.

When you're dealing with acute fatigue, fixing it can be as easy as taking a break. Maybe get a nap. Get a full night of sleep. Eat a good meal. Get hydrated. By tomorrow, you're as good as new. That's what we experience at the end of a long day of riding. You've just put in 400 miles, in the heat or cold, eating crappy food, with the noise of the bike in your ear all day.

Chronic fatigue is a bit more challenging to fix - it can take several days, or even weeks, to fix. That's where exercise, plenty of sleep over the long term, good eating habits, and the like, come into play. Chronic fatigue can be caused by a lot of things. Stress at work, family problems, a baby that wakes up in the middle of the night every single night. Illness. Financial trouble. Sleeping for 8 hours isn't going to fix this.

One of the most challenging parts of dealing with fatigue is recognizing it, and then taking action to deal with it. When your buddies are saying, "Hey - just another 100 miles", but you're beat. That's when you have to step up and say, "I'm done".

The following 3 users liked this post by From_Behind:
cacomly (06-26-2018), MajorKG (06-26-2018), mctraveler (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 05:20 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,169 Likes on 12,041 Posts

Fatigue causes me to have "get-home-itis", I hurry, take chances, get cranky, speed, just to get home and find a bed.
Pilots also succumb to the symptoms of gethomeitis.

The following users liked this post:
cacomly (06-26-2018)

Quick Reply: Fatigue, what does it do to you?