General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'14 Ultra Limited Repairs Timeline

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018 | 11:10 PM
GalvTexGuy
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Default '14 Ultra Limited Repairs Timeline

I know this is going to sound crazy to some of you, but here goes.

In another thread, I documented how I wrecked my '14 Limited and the timeline I was given for the repairs to be completed. The only painted part needed is the front fender. I was told 6-8 weeks to get it and it was ordered on June 15th. So, that means July 27th is the earliest it will get to the dealer, though I really don't expect they'll get it until the second week of August.

Here's the crazy part. I found a used fender on eBay for around $235 shipped. My fender is charcoal pearl/brilliant silver pearl. The used fender is off a '17 Limited and it's superior blue/billet silver, but it comes with all the trim and the fender light. It's a fender and I don't really care that it doesn't match. I just want to get my bike back because I'm jonesing here! Assuming, and this is a big assumption, they get all the other repairs done in the next couple of weeks, other than the fender, would you do something this crazy?

Old 06-21-2018 | 11:26 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I would let them finish and be accountable for all of the work. I appreciate that you're anxious, any chance you can borrow or rent a bike to get your fix?

Old 06-22-2018 | 06:41 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior

One of the guys I ride with got tagged last month:
He picked up a used bike (similar to his, except in one piece) and kept on riding.
He almost has his bike back together (fixing it himself).
He is planning on keeping both, and they will eventually be identical (bars, pegs, windshields, exc).
He figures having a spare will be nice, just in case...

Last edited by GRWHD; 06-22-2018 at 06:44 AM.
Old 06-22-2018 | 08:28 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member

Is it your plan to have the dealer (or whomever is fixing your bike) install your ebay fender? If so, did you ask if they'd do that for you? I don't see why they wouldn't but some places get fussy on where parts are sourced.
I could see it going either way.

I assume that if they would install the ebay fender, that you (or they) would then swap the correctly painted one back on when it arrives? I'd drive around mis matched, but not permanently.
Sucks to have no bike for that many weeks.

I'd consider doing that. But I'd also run the plan by the reapair guys, and I would have them install the ebay fender as that is part of their repair job.

I dont' think it's too hard to swap a fender out.

And for the $235 fender cost, that would only pay for a day or two rental on an alternate bike. And you might be able to recoup some of the money by you selling the fender when your are done.

I'd be tempted to do that.

The following users liked this post:
GalvTexGuy (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018 | 08:34 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member

Can you ride your bike without a front fender until the correct painted fender arrives? A mismatched front fender will look Mickey Mouse.

The following users liked this post:
GalvTexGuy (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018 | 09:47 AM
GalvTexGuy
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Brewmany
Is it your plan to have the dealer (or whomever is fixing your bike) install your ebay fender? If so, did you ask if they'd do that for you? I don't see why they wouldn't but some places get fussy on where parts are sourced.
I could see it going either way.

I assume that if they would install the ebay fender, that you (or they) would then swap the correctly painted one back on when it arrives? I'd drive around mis matched, but not permanently.
Sucks to have no bike for that many weeks.

I'd consider doing that. But I'd also run the plan by the reapair guys, and I would have them install the ebay fender as that is part of their repair job.

I dont' think it's too hard to swap a fender out.

And for the $235 fender cost, that would only pay for a day or two rental on an alternate bike. And you might be able to recoup some of the money by you selling the fender when your are done.

I'd be tempted to do that.
If the other repairs, mainly front forks, are completed, I would pick up the bike and pay the bill. I would install the replacement fender myself with no dealer involvement. When the new fender gets in, I'll install it, too. Yes, I would try selling the replacement fender to recoup some of the money.

Regarding being Mickey Mouse, I really couldn't care less. I ride year around and the thought of not having a bike for almost 3 months is killing me! Looks be damned! Riding without a fender is an option.

Old 06-22-2018 | 10:33 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
Riding without a fender is an option.
Just avoid rain and puddles.

Old 06-22-2018 | 12:18 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
Regarding being Mickey Mouse, I really couldn't care less. I ride year around and the thought of not having a bike for almost 3 months is killing me! Looks be damned! Riding without a fender is an option.
Sounds like you don’t care, I say do it if it gets you back on the road when you want to be!

(Edited)

Last edited by Cygnusx51; 06-22-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-22-2018 | 12:33 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member

If your bike was at Chuck's Deluxe, they would probably make you buy a fender to match the front one.