Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Karma let me down

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 10:31 AM
cadillac
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Karma let me down

Sunday I waited for the fine mist to stop falling so I could take a ride. Finally at noon is cleared enough to go. Rode about 60 miles north and visited a friend I hadnt seen in a while. Headed home again using a different route. About 1/2 way there I was running about 65 and the bike just felt odd.... like a wind blew it sideways. The it did it again.. I knew it wasnt wind. Started slowing and it got real squirmy so I used both brakes and got down to 1st gear. Sure enough a flat rear tire. Found a good spot to pull off and parked the bike. Called a buddy with a trailer and he said he would be there in an hour. So I sat down and waited. And counted 18 bikes, 7 of them Harleys, that drove past me and not once did any of them slow down, give a thumbs up/down, give me the "Are you ok look" or anything. Didnt even wave! This was the second flat in 1 week on the same tire. First one, the valve stem broke off 1/2 way down. Had a new tube put in that time. When I got home yesterday I pumped it up, and it leaks around the base of the valve stem so I think the installer pinched the tube.. or it is a defective tube.

bob

Old 06-25-2007, 10:37 AM
bone2
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Karma let me down

Better luck with the new tube.

Your karma is ok.

I'm worried about the karma of those that passed you by.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:38 AM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks. I would have stopped for you, but I would have been a long time getting there. Glad you had someone to call.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:41 AM
DocHarley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When ever I see a bike on the side of the road I always stop and ask if they need assistance even if I'm driving my truck. Good thing you had a friend to help you out. Don't loose faith, not all riders are like the ones who passed you by.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:05 AM
Protrucker
Tourer

This raises a question that I've wondered about. I will always stop or at least slow down to see if help is needed when I'm riding alone. What about if you're riding with a group? If the lead bike doesn't stop, do you stay with the group or stop? I always feel guilty if I stay with the group & just ride by.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:16 PM
gandy dancer
Cruiser

A real Biker will stop---Always---------------

Old 06-25-2007, 02:26 PM
Dogwood
Tourer

I would have figured in Iowa that people would stop.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:24 PM
waterdog
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey caddilac,

Sorry that none of them stopped to check on you, but Karma will come back to bite them someday when they are the one sitting on the shoulder!

Please don't let their bad karma wear off on you, OK?

Old 06-26-2007, 09:20 AM
cadillac
Road Master

Yes, I was dissapointed on 2 fronts that day... bikers and Iowans. Ill still continue to stop for any bike on the side and HOPE it spreads to others. But the Iowans not stopping.... thats so different from the Iowans I knew when I first moved here 30+ years ago. Like Bob Dylan said so many years ago, "for the times they are a-changin...".

Bob

Old 06-26-2007, 09:35 AM
05 Wd Gld
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I find it rather unusual that you are surprized that no one would stop or at least the thumbs up to check on you. People who actually do stop to either offer assistance are far and few. Now I'm not saying that no one would but, it is going to be a rarity. Time and time again, people start threads backing up what I am saying.

The days of people actually caring about others has come and gone. Now once again, I am not making this an all inclusive statement, however there seems to be a generality with people, that they cannot be bothered or take the "risk", or have the time to stop what they are doing to see if someone who they don't know, needs help.

Call this observation whatever you want, it is only a generalobservation. Not meant to be all inclusive but, generally speaking. After a tragedy inmy life, I have been fortunate enough to have people offer help when they had no obligation to do so. To those people I will be forever grateful. And I will always remember them. I only make some of these observations concerning people helping others after I have taken a very hard and long look at my own life. We as a people better learn to be better at taking care of one another.

For what it is worth.