General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure monitoring

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018 | 11:58 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by redoilokie
wait till you see what heat does to your oil levels. That'll really blow your mind.
please! Noooo

Old 06-12-2018 | 06:53 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Softy
For years all I did was check tire pressure before a ride. Now that I have a Heritage checking the back tire for me is a bear. I bought the FOBO tire monitoring system to help me with checking the pressure before the ride. Today was the first day I have had it working on a ride and it is almost too much information.
When I started out the front tire was 1.2 pounds under the 36 and the rear was 1.4 pounds under the 40. So I get to my destination, just a short 30 mile ride and check the pressures again. This time the front is 3.8 pounds over and the rear is 7.2 pounds over.
Talking to a guy during lunch he said he usually inflates his tires to 5 under before the ride to allow for heat. I am not sure I am ready to do that but the evidence tells me maybe it is a good idea.
What do you all think? Keep the pressure to recommended pressures or go 5 under?
Remember not to take that guy's advice on anything.

Owner's manual gives you tire pressures, tells you "cold". Case closed. You think those engineers have no idea that pressure goes up when tires heat up?

I was told long ago that blowouts are caused by under-inflation. I'd worry more about that than over-inflation.

The following users liked this post:
Hey Man (06-16-2018)
Old 06-12-2018 | 07:29 PM
Mr.Softy
|
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by cficole

Owner's manual gives you tire pressures, tells you "cold". Case closed. You think those engineers have no idea that pressure goes up when tires heat up?

I was told long ago that blowouts are caused by under-inflation. I'd worry more about that than over-inflation.
I understand taking readings and applying air in the cold cycle. That is how I have done it for years like everyone else. Maybe my OP was confusing to some. I used my HD gauge like always to check my tires. I put in air and got the correct readings with my analog gauge. It was when I installed the FOBO fobs that I got a reading less than the gauge readings. When I got to my destination my phone said the air pressure was way above my original pressure. Never taking a reading while on a ride I never had any idea how more inflated the tires became.
I guess that was why I made the post. It just surprised me the reading went so high. Also to note that the software wasn't in sync with the HD gauge. I noted the difference for future use and not be worried about it.
Sorry I didn't make this more clear in my OP.

Old 06-12-2018 | 08:57 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Softy
I understand taking readings and applying air in the cold cycle. That is how I have done it for years like everyone else. Maybe my OP was confusing to some. I used my HD gauge like always to check my tires. I put in air and got the correct readings with my analog gauge. It was when I installed the FOBO fobs that I got a reading less than the gauge readings. When I got to my destination my phone said the air pressure was way above my original pressure. Never taking a reading while on a ride I never had any idea how more inflated the tires became.
I guess that was why I made the post. It just surprised me the reading went so high. Also to note that the software wasn't in sync with the HD gauge. I noted the difference for future use and not be worried about it.
Sorry I didn't make this more clear in my OP.
My comment was about the guy you talked to at lunch, and what he said.

Old 06-12-2018 | 09:18 PM
Joe from So Cal
Tourer

Excessive sidewall flexing generates lots of heat.

Old 06-13-2018 | 05:18 AM
Mr.Softy
|
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

My comment was about the guy you talked to at lunch, and what he said.
He was a friendly enough guy. Like others have said I wouldn't be taking any information from him. Running 5 under just doesn't make any sense at all. I have never heard that before from anyone and for good reason.

Old 06-16-2018 | 01:35 AM
P51Driver
Road Warrior

Here is something to think about.
First of all I always set my pressures at the recommended pressures cold. And yes when the tires heat up from running the pressures will go up, that is to be expected.
But if you have the pressures in a rear tire going up more than they should I would look at rear wheel alignment. If the wheel isn't tracking properly you are creating additional friction which in turn translates into additional heat causing the pressure to go up higher than they would normally. Also misalignment causes excelerated tire wear.

Last edited by P51Driver; 06-16-2018 at 01:40 AM.
Old 06-16-2018 | 09:07 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member

My tire pressure monitoring system. It will read cold and hot pressures.

Old 06-16-2018 | 01:49 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

On the tire there is the MAX tire pressure, which is the max that tire can hold, period. Then there is the cold PSI that the manufacturer provides, usually on the label on the bike. Inflate to recommended cold PSI when the tires are at ambient (room) temperature, then ride. The tire pressure will go up when riding, but should not hit MAX.

Old 06-16-2018 | 07:06 PM
Zerk
Banned

Going down the interstate in the rain last year. Felt odd, I suppose I should have done something. When it went lane to lane, with a flat tire I knew. Been planning on getting a monitor, but haven't yet. Even if you check your pressure every gas stop you can still pick up a nail. I have had two screws in my tires, that I discovered changing the tire.

People act like knowing is a bad thing. You can still ignore the information. If you don't want to know, why do you manual check the tires?

The following users liked this post:
cacomly (06-19-2018)

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure monitoring