General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure monitoring

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018 | 01:44 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by cacomly
It could increase higher than normal if you started out underinflated. Underinflated tires run hotter and wear more quickly.

I have run several of these things on motorhomes...they are not super pinpoint accurate on what your tire pressure is...don't freak if your pressure is 2-3 lbs different than your air gauge ...their main purpose is to give you warning that you have a tire losing air...so you can get to a safe place before you have a flat ...most blowouts are caused because you ran over something...the tire started losing air...and then overheated from low air pressure.

Old 06-05-2018 | 01:50 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member

It think it being way over analyzed here. About as silly as filling your gas tank during the heat of the day or after it cools off in the evening. Or the recently debated "How much regular unleaded is in the hose when I choose super unleaded". CTP's

Ratings on tires are for cold psi. Expansion is figured in there already.

The following users liked this post:
rjo3491 (06-18-2018)
Old 06-05-2018 | 04:29 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Softy
For years all I did was check tire pressure before a ride. Now that I have a Heritage checking the back tire for me is a bear. I bought the FOBO tire monitoring system to help me with checking the pressure before the ride. Today was the first day I have had it working on a ride and it is almost too much information.
When I started out the front tire was 1.2 pounds under the 36 and the rear was 1.4 pounds under the 40. So I get to my destination, just a short 30 mile ride and check the pressures again. This time the front is 3.8 pounds over and the rear is 7.2 pounds over.
Talking to a guy during lunch he said he usually inflates his tires to 5 under before the ride to allow for heat. I am not sure I am ready to do that but the evidence tells me maybe it is a good idea.
What do you all think? Keep the pressure to recommended pressures or go 5 under?
No offense but in my mind, you are overthinking the pressure thing when you start using the decimal system. I personally agree with the following reply, this is how I do it also and I use an old fashioned pressure gauge and just keep it simple but to each their own.

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
Recommended tire pressures are cold...they will go up as the tire heats up..totally normal

rjo3491 (06-18-2018)
Old 06-05-2018 | 05:14 PM
Mr.Softy
|
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by SPRINGER
No offense but in my mind, you are overthinking the pressure thing when you start using the decimal system. I personally agree with the following reply, this is how I do it also and I use an old fashioned pressure gauge and just keep it simple but to each their own.
The only reason I am using the decimal system in regards to tire pressure is that is how the digital program reads on my cell phone. It can't tell you in fractions so it has to revert to decimals.

I always checked the tire pressure before a ride when the pressure was cold or not ridden on. I just never knew how many pounds the tire gained on a ride and it surprised me. Then it got me to thinking is this what leads to premature wear of the tires.
In reference to the tire gauges, How do we know their accuracy to begin with and whether or not tires are being inflated correctly? Just thoughts and maybe overthinking some. I do know I had a heck of a time using my gauge to inflate the tires to HD specs, then reading the monitoring fobs, trying to match them up.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 06-12-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-06-2018 | 08:07 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

The only reason I am using the decimal system in regards to tire pressure is that is how the digital program reads on my cell phone. It can't tell you in fractions so it has to revert to decimals.
i think what he is saying is that when you start getting into the 'point x' area of psi, then you're getting in too deep. are you really going to notice less than a pound of pressure?

I always checked the tire pressure before a ride when the pressure was cold or not ridden on. I just never knew how many pounds the tire gained on a ride and it surprised me. Then it got me to thinking is this what leads to premature wear of the tires.
no, you're going to get increased wear if you do like your buddy and run them under inflated to allow for expansion. if you go by the tire mfg suggestions, they have already taken into consideration the expansion of air in their psi recommendations. (your buddy's name wouldn't be cobraracer by any chance would it )

Last edited by skratch; 06-06-2018 at 08:12 AM.
SPRINGER (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018 | 09:21 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member

sometimes too much information isn't a good thing. I never knew before how the ride affected the pressures. Going to go back to that way of thinking.
Wait till you see what heat does to your oil levels. That'll really blow your mind.

rjo3491 (06-18-2018)
Old 06-06-2018 | 09:41 AM
Mr.Softy
|
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by skratch
i think what he is saying is that when you start getting into the 'point x' area of psi, then you're getting in too deep. are you really going to notice less than a pound of pressure?

no, you're going to get increased wear if you do like your buddy and run them under inflated to allow for expansion. if you go by the tire mfg suggestions, they have already taken into consideration the expansion of air in their psi recommendations. (your buddy's name wouldn't be cobraracer by any chance would it )
No Ha Ha The guy is a local here. He also says he gets 20K out of his back tire going 5 under. Me I wouldn't know when the pressure is .1 over or .8 under, it is that software program that tells me that. I am just going to keep using my HD gauge and let the software report what it can.

I did notice one thing when i checked the tires using the software this morning. The front fob was 75 degrees and the rear 77 degrees in the same shed. Maybe these monitors just need a learning curve to use I am not sure.

Old 06-06-2018 | 10:27 AM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member

No Ha Ha The guy is a local here. He also says he gets 20K out of his back tire going 5 under. Me I wouldn't know when the pressure is .1 over or .8 under, it is that software program that tells me that. I am just going to keep using my HD gauge and let the software report what it can.

I did notice one thing when i checked the tires using the software this morning. The front fob was 75 degrees and the rear 77 degrees in the same shed. Maybe these monitors just need a learning curve to use I am not sure.
There is indeed a "learning curve". I installed a very rudimentary TPMS on my softail. Transmitters installed on the stems and receiver installed on the handlebars. Seemed complete, but I got only error messages as the bike sat idle. Fifty feet after the first ride, bingo, the system evidently sensed movement, calibrated the front and rear sensors and all was good. This also explains why, when you rotate your car tires, the system recognizes the new position of all tires and give a proper readout.

Old 06-06-2018 | 10:28 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Riders Club Member

Do you think they expect the pressure to rise to 7 pounds over? And is that a problem?
FFS, ride the damn bike and stop overthinking it. Enjoy riding! Not everyone can.

SPRINGER (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018 | 11:36 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by sailmotion
This also explains why, when you rotate your car tires, the system recognizes the new position of all tires and give a proper readout.
mine don't. i have to 'teach' the computer the new locations of the sensors if i rotate the wheels at the house. if i have it done with an oil change, the dealer has a little 'magic' box that he goes around to each tire with.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure monitoring