General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Road King to Street Glide conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 10:04 AM
Mlake
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Road King to Street Glide conversion

This has been a long time coming. Back in 2013 I wanted to move from my Superglide to a touring bike. I found a great deal on a brand new 2013 Road King Firefighter edition. I loved the bike, but after a few years I realized that I wanted a full fairing, with a radio. I looked into trading it in for a Street Glide, but the trade in value on the road king just wasn't there. I started looking into aftermarket fairings, but I couldn't find one that I liked. After reading every thread on this forum, I decided to buy the parts, and add a batwing fairing to my bike myself.

The project was time consuming, but relatively straight forward. The hardest part was having the ***** to take my bike apart, and only being pretty sure that I knew what I was doing. Second to that, adding 14" bars wiith internal wiring was the next hardest part. There was a bunch of trial and error, and this was the most time consuming part of the entire project.

I used all HD parts, which made assembly relativey straight forward. None of the guages in the fairing are connected, but they do a good job of filling the holes. Eventually I may try to wire them in, but that's really low on the priority list.

I finally got my everything done and on the road in May of 2015. I got to ride it just long enough to realize that i definitely made the right decision, and that I loved the finished product. I hardly got to enjoy it though, because I got crashed it in August, 2015. Thankfully, I wasn't seriously hurt, and all of the damage was to the tank, fenders, and other replaceable parts. The frame wasn't damaged.

After a lot of searching, and trying to decide how I wanted to fix it, I came across an paint set from a 2013 CVO Road King for sale on this forum from vgibbs. She gave me an unbelievable deal on them, and It looked even better in person than the pictures. With the help of my local shop, Murray's Cycles in Fall River, Ma we were able to turn my crashed bike into one that I'm proud to own.

Last year I added 21" Front, 19" rear Eastern Performance wheels, with Arlen Ness smooth forks and a Lepera Villain Seat. There is still work to be done, but I couldn't be happier with the finished product.

Last edited by Mlake; 06-03-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:41 AM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 327 Likes on 209 Posts

Good job, nice color.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:56 AM
WartHoggy
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll second that

Old 06-04-2018, 07:54 AM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 513 Posts

Looks great!

Old 08-06-2018, 04:05 PM
ssmorga78
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I am in the process of making this decision right now with my 2009 RK. I have a lot of time and upgrades in to it.... and just don't think I am gonna find someone who wants to give up their Street Glide for my Road King. Are the gauges just in there to fill space? Or do they actually work? I'd be interested in a parts list if you happen to have one?

Old 02-16-2019, 10:24 AM
HDGRIZZLY
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looks awesome

How hard was was it to mount fairing to bike also how did you do headlight?