General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drag bars on risers misalligned

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018 | 07:56 AM
SOA
|
Advanced
Default Drag bars on risers misalligned

I have a softail breakout and my handle bars are a little off when comparing to my triple tree. My right side grip and mirror is a little closer to me and the left side is farther away. My handle bars are slightly angled right but im going perfectly straight. Ive heard this happening and people say to put bike on kickstand and turn the bars to the left. Pull on the left side and push on the right and it will even out. Without even untightening anything. Will this bend something doing this procedure? Or does it work?

Old 06-03-2018 | 08:12 AM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

I had this happen on my springer. The problem turned out to be someone putting on the bushings wrong and then torqued it down. I replaced the bad bushings and it fixed the **** eyed handlebars.

Old 06-03-2018 | 08:15 AM
SOA
|
Advanced

I bought the bike new and its been like that since day 1

Old 06-03-2018 | 08:24 AM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by SOA
I bought the bike new and its been like that since day 1
Bikes ship without the handlebars put on the bike. I would guess whoever installed them in the service department might not have had everything lined up before torquing down. Just takes a couple minutes to undo the clamp and pull the bars to check and see if the risers are on straight.

Old 06-03-2018 | 08:27 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member

If this was my new bike, this is a dealer issue - knowing these idiots, the minute you go to correct this (and lets say it doesnt) theyre gonna blame you..

Old 06-03-2018 | 08:45 AM
JAMES2
Road Master

Loosen all nuts and bolts slightly. Including riser to tree.
Tighten bar clamps first, then check alignment and then tighten risers to tree.
This should do it.

Old 06-03-2018 | 09:00 AM
SOA
|
Advanced

I just put pressure on them while the bike was on the kickstand. I got the risers to move pretty easy. I think the risers was what was a tad bit off cause looks pretty close to even now. Its crazy you can move those without loosening anything. Hitting pot holes and bumps can probably throw them out of whack.

Old 06-03-2018 | 09:16 AM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member

If you can move them like that I’d bet they’re not torqued to spec. I think you should unbolt them and verify correct alignment and torque

Old 06-03-2018 | 09:24 AM
SOA
|
Advanced

Well that could be. But i read on other posts here that the risers are mounted on rubber bushings and you can manuever them because of that. That bushing will allow them to move no matter torqued or not. Read that a lot of dealers will go out to the parking lot and fix/adjust customers bikes by doing the same process.

Old 06-03-2018 | 09:27 AM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

I put the Alloy Art Gooden Tight bushings on mine and couldn't be happier. Very solid. But mine is a springer so the bushings are a bit different on mine.

Quick Reply: Drag bars on risers misalligned