General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crappy weather = Detail day

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 02:19 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,227 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by purpledeuce

I grabbed my rupes mini for the whole job. I used a rupes blue pad and polished with PA master final polish, then followed with primer (paste, not spray), layered 2 coats of cosmic v2. I topped it with cosmic gloss spray and will go back tmrw for a coupe layers of high gloss. PA is definitely boutique but it produces some great results. I’ve got almost a whole shelf of different PA goodies. I got a little carried away a couple years ago
You are so right. PA produces incredible results. You CAN NOT het top quality results without machine polishing. Big props in putting in the time and effort in doing it the right way. Pictures look great and you get rewarded with a bike that looks great, well protected and you don't have to go back after every wash and spray stuff on it like the F11 and other stuff guys do.
There are some guys on here that do the lemon pledge and then there are guys that take it to this level.
I absolutely love PA products! The results that it produces are well worth the time that is put in.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:37 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,800 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Looks great! Now snap that light lens back into place on your garage door opener.😉

Old 06-03-2018, 02:45 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by eaglefan1
You are so right. PA produces incredible results. You CAN NOT het top quality results without machine polishing. Big props in putting in the time and effort in doing it the right way. Pictures look great and you get rewarded with a bike that looks great, well protected and you don't have to go back after every wash and spray stuff on it like the F11 and other stuff guys do.
There are some guys on here that do the lemon pledge and then there are guys that take it to this level.
I absolutely love PA products! The results that it produces are well worth the time that is put in.
I’ve been a hobby detailer for about 7 years or so, I take a lot of pride in making my paint shine. For maintenance I really enjoy a good rinseless wash like black fire or Wolfgang. Detail sprays, I tend to grab PA spray duster or souveran spray wax. The only time I break out the hose is if it’s really dirty, even the wheels are cleaned with a rinseless, I’ve gotten great results all around with them
Originally Posted by barneyboy
Looks great! Now snap that light lens back into place on your garage door opener.😉
lol, ya saw that too huh. It’s been like that since the great hornet hunt of 2013. It was a gruesome battle, we had some injuries on the front line but I’m proud to report the only loss of life was on the enemies side. The light serves as a reminder and a memorial to those that showed great bravery that infamous day

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 06-03-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:52 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member

Ive used ONR, Blackfire and now Uber. Uber is awesome! love the stuff. I detail as a side gig doing the summer. One of the benefits of being a teacher/coach. My bike is vivid black and it is the softest paint I have ever dealt with. Look at it wrong and it mars. Its a PIA to deal with. I have had black vehicles but have never had to deal with something like this, softer than suburb paint if you can imagine that.
i keep the cover off of my opener also. With customer cars in my garage I need light and lots of it!

Old 06-03-2018, 02:56 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member

ONR is another great one! I’ve got a gallon of it, haven’t used it much since I was sent a sample of Uber.

The results never seem to truly translate in photos. My greatest compliment is people asking what was done to the paint and who did it

Old 06-03-2018, 03:12 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member

50/50 shots are probably the best photos to show a difference. When paint isn't bad you just don't get that "Dam" factor. I have some photos of a black BMW I did that really gives that "holy crap what the hell". Car was a dealer washed only car with 13,000 miles on it. Almost 16 1/2 hrs on the paint and it was back to where it should be.
Run a tape line down a panel and only do one side complete or just a stage and thats where you get the photos that show a difference.
Your time, effort and monetary interest in making your bike look the way you want it too should not be overlooked.
You CAN NOT polish paint by spraying something out of a bottle and rubbing it in to look perfect. You might hide the imperfections but to have paint that is almost perfect takes more than a bottle and a MF towel. No way around it

Old 06-03-2018, 03:17 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member

Yes sir, there is no fast way to proper results. Glazes are temporary and then the truth come out. BMW has some soft paint, my brother has an x5 or some crap. He refuses to let me clean it for him, instead he takes it to the swirl-o-matic car wash. The swirls are horrendous man! I’ve even shown him in the sunlight and he refuses to listen. He’s a bit of an ******* so I guess he gets what he deserves there

Old 06-03-2018, 03:36 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member

Right on.
Im so glad that someone else didn't buy into the topcoat, pledge, or some can stuff. I just laugh every time I see threads on someone detailing there bike without a machine. If they are happy that is great. But to tell everybody who reads this stuff that "its great. Incredible.", just bothers me, Ive gotten a lot of great info and help in the audio and engine section and I try/want to give back. But how do you tell somebody they have no idea what the hell they are talking about when they are happy with the results they have??
The detailing world has grown incredible in the last 10-15 yrs since I have been doing it. So much great stuff out there and people are still spraying furniture polish on their paint. Wonder if they would spray it on their brand new $40,000 car or truck? So why on their bike? Makes no sense

Old 06-03-2018, 03:45 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member

Some people don’t know what good paint looks like until they see it for themselves. I used to be under the impression that my paint was good, then I learned how wrong I was

Old 06-03-2018, 03:47 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member

That is the truth right there.
Clean is one thing. Polishing paint to perfection is a totally different ballgame

Quick Reply: Crappy weather = Detail day