General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble in Alligator Alley

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 05:27 PM
warthawg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Trouble in Alligator Alley

ORIGINAL: Floridafred

Good info> I'm on a 5000K roadtrip and now I'm paranoid. Anyone know the battery designation. I know I can just open the Fob. Love alligator alley. Do it all the time.
Fred
The HD catalog lists it as CR2032 3v Lithium. I got a couple of Energizer 2032 at the local drug store.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:31 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CR2032 3v Lithium walmart has them cheap

Old 06-25-2007, 05:36 PM
warthawg
Tourer

ORIGINAL: murph3204

What bothered me most was that the dealer could not tell me how to over ride the system.
Do you blame them? How do they know you are who you say you are? For all thay know you could have been trying to steal someone elses bike.
Maybe, but without the PIN it wouldn't have done much good to know what the procedure was. I knew the PIN cus I had changed it, just forgot the procedure (and that I put the card in my wallet, just too darn much excitment in last few weeks being this is my first Harley). To be fair to the dealer, they were short staffed as they were all at an event. Once I got it started and back to the dealer, they found a tech that knew exactly what to do.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:12 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i`ve had mine for over two yrs, guess i`ll change it, for what it is worth i made the #one i coulden`t forget, and i would advise anyone who has one to practice at home going thru the sequence, so its second nature, and keep the card in wallet more important than your drivers license, when these things happen you will be pissed and adriline will be running so if your familiar with the prosedure things will go easy

Old 06-25-2007, 06:44 PM
69z28
Road Warrior

My battery is 3 yrs old and still going,but I do carry extras in the saddlebag.Also, what if you never put in a pin? I never tried to figure the formula out so I never used it.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Road Toad
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Another interesting problem is electro magnetic interference.

Earlier this year I took a little 100 mile ride to buy the wife some of here favorite candy and when I came out the bike was dead. No ignition, nothing but the flashers going.[:@]
Good thing I had the owners manual with me. Read through it and found that electro magnetic interference can disable the system.
Moved the bile about 20' and it started right up!
Now to go get a new battery.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:17 PM
Recycler
Outstanding HDF Member

Thank's for the info.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:25 PM
warthawg
Tourer

ORIGINAL: 69z28

My battery is 3 yrs old and still going,but I do carry extras in the saddlebag.Also, what if you never put in a pin? I never tried to figure the formula out so I never used it.
I'm certainly not the expert on this, and I don't know if there is a difference in the systems in '07 vs. previous years, but from what I can work out from what I've read in the owners manual, the PIN is used to temporarily disable the security system. So if you haven't changed your PIN and you leave the bike without locking the ignition and the fork, someone could "Guess" the PIN and take the bike. As I said the factory PIN is easy to guess.

Just FYI, my neighbor has a new caddy and it has a similar system. No key at all, the doors lock and unlock when he approaches or walks away from the car. It also has a push button start. He carries no keys at all, not even sure he has any, just a fob.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:31 PM
surveyor
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: warthogsf

Todaymy wifeand I took a trip through Cypress Nation Preserve, into Naples for lunch and back home again by way of "Alligator Alley" (I75). Very hot day but the trip was going great until there was an accident that required the "flight for live chopper". They stopped traffic and landed the chopper on the road. I turned off the bike and baked in the 95+ Florida heat for about 30-45 minutes.

Unfortunately, when it was OK to go, my 4 week old bike would not turn over. Just a bunch of flashing lights. I had a pretty good idea it was the security system, but could not remember how to over ride it. Called the dealer and they were no f'ing help, so I called for a tow truck.

Then I remembered that I had put the security override card from the back of the Owners Manual in my wallet. Used it to reset the system and it started right up. Went straight to the dealer and they changed the battery in the key fob. They said they ship these with the batteries installed and they don't last long so I should buy an extra and keep it in the saddle bags.

Moral of the story, the security system will go dead at the worst possible moment, so change the battery you have, keep an extra with you, keep the override instruction in your wallet (be sure to change the PIN right now so you know what it is when you need it) and on a long trip take both fobs!!
Good info. I have been delaying buying a extra battery. Do not even have the pin in my wallet. I bet I do by tomorrow!
Thanks

Old 06-26-2007, 02:26 PM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

ORIGINAL: wideglidebob

i`ve had mine for over two yrs, guess i`ll change it, for what it is worth i made the #one i coulden`t forget, and i would advise anyone who has one to practice at home going thru the sequence, so its second nature, and keep the card in wallet more important than your drivers license, when these things happen you will be pissed and adriline will be running so if your familiar with the prosedure things will go easy
I had a feeling this would be a problem with the 07 changes to the security system. Since the FOB has to be in direct proximity to the bike for it to work, that means it is constantly emitting a signal (Always ON and discharging the internal battery).

With the pre-07 systems the battery is only being discharged when you push the button, so the battery has a much longer life.

But it is a great idea to know how to dis-arm the security system using the turn signal switches just in case you lose the FOB, or have the battery crap out in it.

There is a pair of removable cards in the back of your Owners Manual that have the particulars to operating the security system. It even has a place to put the PIN. (Not really advised) and can be carried in your wallet.

Quick Reply: Trouble in Alligator Alley