General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy Lo for 2 UP?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018 | 04:21 PM
tomcatg
|
Cruiser
Default Fat Boy Lo for 2 UP?

Hey Folks,

I am looking for your educated opinion and advice. Started back riding after 30 years off in January of this year. I found a good deal on a Sportster Iron 883 that already had Vance and Hines exhaust, Roland Sands Air cleaner, tuner, ABS and keyless start. Black denim only 2400 miles. Bought it got my license etc and have ridden about 1500 miles. It has worked great for me getting my "bike skills" back and getting used to riding again. I thought about a bigger bike but decided this was the smarter/safer way to start back even if it cost me "stupid tax" in lost money if/when I upgraded. Wife had been undecided about riding but finally decided to ride and enjoyed it..all except the plush Sportster ride for 2 up lol. She asked me of I could make it ride any better so I upgraded to a La Pera saddle and Progressive 444 shocks. Well that helped the solo rider experience greatly and the 2 up somewhat but still rides like a Sportster. She asked me if I wanted to upgrade to something better suited for 2UP riding. I am very happy with the Sporty and not really wanted to go full touring etc found a very good deal on a blacked out Fat Boy Lo. It looks like my Iron's big brother..but Ive read varied things on 2UP riding since its lower etc. Will the Fat Boy Lo work for 2up or should I pass it by and wait on something else. Thanks for reading. Also I am not convinced she will ride alot but she says she will, and dont want a touring bike for around town solo riding..so thinking a Fat Boy or similar would be a good compromise.

Last edited by tomcatg; 05-27-2018 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 05-27-2018 | 04:33 PM
TeaRunner
Road Master

Don't think your wife will be happy on anything less than a tourer. I'll tell you now, the FB Lo ain't it. It can be done, but no. Only softail I might put a wife on is a Heritage.

Let me give you a warning on softails in general. They are heavy bikes and only have one disc braking on the front. Everyone else puts 2 on the front even on bikes half a softail's weight. After I totaled my Lo, I would go so far to say any 2 up riding on a softail is dangerous for that reason alone.

And Lo's eat tires like candy.

Take a test ride on a road king or street glide, I think you'll be surprised.

Last edited by TeaRunner; 05-27-2018 at 04:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tomcatg (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018 | 04:45 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Just get a RK. I have a Fatboy S, and have done the 2up thing, not fun. Ten minutes would be the max I would want to go.

tomcatg (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018 | 04:51 PM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master

It just depends on if your going for short rides or long rides, short rides no problem I do it all the time longer rides and two up is a lot more rugged

tomcatg (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018 | 05:27 PM
tracey87
Tourer

One of the issues with the softails is the shocks. There are two and its not easy to adjust them. The 2018 models, you just turn a **** to adjust. The dyna has exposed shocks that are easy to adjust. You are not going to make that adjustment every time you switch from solo to 2 up with a softail. Most people never adjust them. I would take a second look at the Road King. They actually handle better than a Fatboy. And its easy to adjust for a passenger.

tomcatg (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018 | 05:34 PM
Dehammer
Elite HDF Member

I have a Lo and RK....look to a RK hands down.

tomcatg (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018 | 08:29 PM
tomcatg
|
Cruiser

Thanks folks. I knew exactly what I was getting and what to expect from my Sportster, and I am happy with it for what I wanted. Thanks for the advice because I didnt want to go through that hassle and money and not have a much better 2up experience. I need to do some research now on Road Kings. I guess from what I was told at the HD dealerships was any softtail would be fine for 2up riding and now from the brethren here on HDForums I know that is not the case. Much Thanks!

Old 05-27-2018 | 08:32 PM
TimmyPage
Road Captain

Any chance of talking your wife into getting her license and bike?

Old 05-27-2018 | 09:24 PM
tomcatg
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TimmyPage
Any chance of talking your wife into getting her license and bike?
Timmy she actually went through the MSF class with me and got her license. She says she has no desire for her own bike and only wants to ride on the back with me.

Old 05-27-2018 | 10:26 PM
J3TVETTE
Cruiser

Tom,

I own a Fatboy Lo and have a GF who I sometimes take on the bike. She can never get comfortable on it and to be honest I like the way the factory seat looks so I never thought about upgrading it. I mentioned to her that I can get the backrest for her to feel safer and she told me no way! She said it will mess up the look of the bike. She thinks the pegs are too high up and the seat just isn't very comfortable or wide enough for her. I also own a Yamaha Stryker and asked her which one she feels is more comfortable. I was surprised when she immediately blurted out "THE YAMAHA FOR SURE!" Hope that helps you just a tad. I think a true cruiser/tourer is the only option. With all that said, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my fatboy and do not plan on letting it go LOL!

tomcatg (05-28-2018)

Quick Reply: Fat Boy Lo for 2 UP?