General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summer leather conditioning for my riding jacket

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 03:56 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Summer leather conditioning for my riding jacket

Posted this on the thread about making your jacket more comfy, but thought it was worth a separate post.

My Vanson was never uncomfortable. But it was due for a conditioning this summer.

I used Red Wing mink oil. Rubbed it into the leather, with my fingers. I did that just enough so there was no excess or buildup, truly working in a good coat of the mink oil.

Then I hung it in an empty dark closet, away from any air or other clothing, for 48 hours. (Gotta let that mink oil settle into the leather more.)

Then I wore it around the house for a few hours, doing laundry etc, letting the newly mink-oiled leather conform to my movements.

I don't plan to ride it on the bike for another day or so, giving it four full days (two in the closet) for the mink oil to settle in before it hits the wind at riding speeds.

Whatever you do, don't condition your leather and then just ride in it. The conditioner actually needs time to settle into the leather. Otherwise, you're just blowing it right off in the wind.

So far, the jacket feels and looks great. It's brown so it's a really beautiful rich brown now with the mink oiling, and feels even softer than before. : )

Old 05-26-2018, 05:17 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,668 Likes on 6,425 Posts

Well, at least you stand out in the crowd with a brown jacket. Doc Baileys works for my black leathers.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:22 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 641 Likes on 495 Posts

I used to use mink oil, which is silicone based...but quit using it when I read some things about it breaking down leather over time. I haven't confirmed that it's true, but now I use Hubberd's Shoe Oil or Grease...regardless of what you use, OP, good on ya for taking care of your high quality leather. It's important that you do so!!!

Old 05-26-2018, 06:36 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

We use a product in our shop called
Aussie Aussie
it is a very good product .. It contains a fair amount of Beeswax which makes it a good waterproofer as well ,everything that leaves our shop has at least 1 coat of this ..

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Larry (05-28-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 07:42 PM
TeaRunner
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 144 Posts

Yea, don't use silicone products.

I've always used Frye's weatherproofing cream. Very old Italian leather company. It's petroleum based and does a very good job at softening and weather proofing. You won't be blowing it off in the wind.

After a week or two, you won't see it anymore. You'll know it's still in there if you get rained on though.

Put it on all my leather luggage too.

Good choice on brown, all my leather jackets are brown too.

Last edited by TeaRunner; 05-26-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:03 PM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior
Received 393 Likes on 260 Posts

Nice jacket SoCal. Thanks for the reminder...the Langlitz is overdue for some TLC. That’s what I’ll be doing after my breakfast run tomorrow.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:09 PM
Phideux
Tourer
Received 124 Likes on 73 Posts

One of the best, old time, leather conditioners??
Bacon Grease.
Makes you smell good too.

Old 05-27-2018, 12:22 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,209 Likes on 2,886 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim

I used Red Wing mink oil. Rubbed it into the leather, with my fingers...

Then I hung it in an empty dark closet..

Then I wore it around the house for a few hours, doing laundry etc....

......giving it four full days (two in the closet) for the mink oil to settle in before it hits the wind at riding speeds.....

The conditioner actually needs time to settle into the leather. Otherwise, you're just blowing it right off in the wind....
This is a joke, right? Because I'm laughing my azz off.

Old 05-27-2018, 01:09 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Choosing leather conditioner is like choosing motor oil. So many opinions. The important thing is not letting the leather dry out. I do not go through all the trouble that the OP does but I do oil my jackets, chaps, vest, etc. once in a while. I have two jackets that are over 30 years old and still in very good condition. Funny many say do not use conditioner with silicone or petroleum products but the great Langlitz maker uses one with silicone and HD conditioner is from petroleum. When I was young and starting out I used vasoline (on my leather jacket) with positive results. I guess they all work but I have not tried K-Y jelly (on my leather jacket).

Old 05-27-2018, 01:57 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,084 Posts

I just use a good quality saddle soap to clean and condition mine. That's all that's needed.

Quick Reply: Summer leather conditioning for my riding jacket