General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 Sumping - Warning signs to listen for?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 05:00 AM
kickstartfan
Road Master
Received 285 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Moore
I'll need to go through the grueling 800 km break in period all over again. Arghhh!
you poor thing. Perhaps you should hire someone.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:07 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 831 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Sorry my man. But YES...
If you don't think that level of abuse is....
that's not only foolish, it's ridiculous. But hey, it's YOUR bike. Do whatever you like to it. But please understand....
never mind.......
I say BS to you.

On my 07, before I changed the exhaust I did it all the time. New, was so smooth, I never even noticed it. Still in the power band of cams Lots of Harley riders shift on noise. Myself included.

Originally Posted by kickstartfan
you poor thing. Perhaps you should hire someone.
Ya I found that odd For 500 miles, vary the RPMs and don't go over 60mph much, I believe is the break in.

If you are in a areas with interstates, that could be annoying. But if a guy really wanted to he could just do it in nice fun weekend

Are the warranty laws any different in Canada? If you have the same pump put back on, what is to say it will not happen again, and again? When your 2 year warranty is up, are you on your own, even though it is the same problem? I am not sure if US has any protection for that either, would vary by state. WI has a lemon law, but not sure if it extended to bikes. But if it is in the shop so much, they have to buy it back. I knew someone who had to keep doing it with jeeps. Though he kept getting another.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-26-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:28 PM
Mark Moore
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
When your 2 year warranty is up, are you on your own, even though it is the same problem?
I bought the 5 year extended warranty so even if I need another motor or two or three like some other CVO owners I think I'm covered. I'm not sure how it works in the US but in Canada you also have the option of extending the warranty for an additional 5 years at the end of the initial 5 year term.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:41 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,204 Likes on 3,744 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
I don't consider 4500 laboring the motor. IMO.

If that is more that the bike can handle, something is wrong.

With my96 6 speed and tall gears I rode there alot until I put after market exhaust on. Then it was loud. Lots of Harley shift on noise.

If a bike is failing at 4500, it is going to fail at lower rpms pretty soon.
Just wondering what 4500 rpm in 6th gear equates to in mph? Anybody know?

Old 05-26-2018, 02:19 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

My guess would be in the 100+ mph. My bike a Twin Cam rarely sees 4500 rpn in any gear and never in a sustained situation. Doing so would likely result in a shorter overall engine life but not a total destruction of the engine. HD has has stated not to run the M8 over 3500 RPM which seems to me an ad admission of faulty engineering. Just my thoughts.

Old 05-26-2018, 02:37 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 7,195 Likes on 3,420 Posts

Originally Posted by roussfam
Just wondering what 4500 rpm in 6th gear equates to in mph? Anybody know?
OP stated he was in 4th gear on the highway at 4,500 rpm, which I would guess to be about 75 mph

Old 05-26-2018, 03:21 PM
Mark Moore
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nytryder
HD has has stated not to run the M8 over 3500 RPM which seems to me an ad admission of faulty engineering.
Where did you see this stated? Are you simply referring to the break in period?

Old 05-26-2018, 03:42 PM
wyndnface
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,056 Posts

It should have never failed...BUT, 4500 rpm at freeway speed with 2 gears left...mmmmmmmmmm..........

Old 05-26-2018, 08:18 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 831 Likes on 657 Posts

4500 is higher than I would, but when in tight traffic at 80, I still like some power to get out of the way.

Again stock exhaust, new bushing and shocks. I could believe how smooth my 07 was over 4k. Didn't even realize I was up there. Now it is to noisey to run 4k for long periods.

These bikes are going millions of RPMs, you think another 1k is that big of deal?

Old 05-27-2018, 05:53 AM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Moore
Where did you see this stated? Are you simply referring to the break in period?

Read it over in the M8 section if I remember correctly. After a couple M8's on his bike that had blown up he was notified to keep the RPMs below 3500 to help eliminate the problem. Have seen this more than once but cannot remember where. This is not just during the break in period but over the life of the engine. Not saying this is fact but just what I have read. Using this theory the M8s should be red lined at 3000 RPM. Just adding thoughts to the thread. Fact is I'm no engineer, hell I don't even own a train!

Quick Reply: M8 Sumping - Warning signs to listen for?