General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron Horse single bike trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 06:03 AM
ppilotmike
Road Captain
Received 106 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Iron Horse single bike trailer?

Anyone have one of these? I can pick one up pretty reasonable, 2005 model. It does need some work but nothing major. I would like to use it to store the bike and maybe even for a winter blast down to Florida. Mike

Old 05-24-2018, 06:53 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 473 Posts

Not sure which Iron Horse trailer you’re referring too (open or enclosed) but I have a 2000 Excalibur which is similar to an Iron Horse.
Excalibur though went out of business I believe around 2010.

I was trailering up to the Black Hills one year and went through a hail storm.
I didn’t get any damage but as soon as I got back home I started looking for an enclosed trailer.

I figured I’ve got too much $$ in my bike to let it get pounded by hail, plus a enclosed trailer would give me someplace to securely park it once I get to where-ever I’m going.
I was just about to buy a standard 10’ “Carry-On” brand trailer when I saw an add on craigslist for the Excalibur for about the same money as the “Carry-On”.

Even though the standard trailer probably has more uses in hauling other types of stuff I figured the main reason for the trailer was the bike so why not buy a trailer made for a bike?
Anyway at around 700 .lbs, it tows very well and even with my Heritage in it the tow weight is only around 1600 lbs.

That being said there's nothing wrong with a standard type trailer, but I think the cheaper ones like the "Carry-On" isn't built as tough as my Excalibur.
However I've seen some "higher end" standard trailers that are pretty well built but you're likely not going to get a 10-12 footer for $3000 or less.

Now whether or not you should buy an Iron Horse?
I think a new one is around $5K so if you can get it and after all repairs you have no more than $3-3500 in it I think you’ll be OK.

I paid I think $2400 for mine and twice I’ve been offered more than that for it.
If I had bought the “Carry-On” for $2600, it surely wouldn’t be worth anywhere near that now.

Also I have used it for hauling other things than the bike and even though it's not designed for that it works well.

Last edited by Bluraven; 05-24-2018 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:17 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,670 Likes on 6,425 Posts

I have had an open trailer before and will not again. Just recently bought a new 5X10 enclosed V nose for $2,600. I looked for the trailer you are talking about on my phone and they look like what was posted above. Don't know the prices but put a lot of thought in to this as good ones are not cheap.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:31 AM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 590 Likes on 363 Posts

A friend of mine has one and I have borrowed it a few times. Nice trailer and tows easily. I last borrowed it in April to take some machine tools to the Carlisle Swap meet in PA

Old 05-24-2018, 10:57 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,211 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven

That's a nice trailer.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:25 AM
ppilotmike
Road Captain
Received 106 Likes on 57 Posts

Sorry I should have mentioned it was the single bike model. In 2010 Iron Horse went to an aluminum frame and wheels which saves about 150 pounds on the empty weight which helped on the carrying capacity. That being said my Sport Glide only weighs 700 pounds which will put me well under the GVW of 2000 pounds. The guy is asking $2500 for the trailer, I am a bit on the fence because this trailer is only good for one thing.

Old 11-02-2018, 04:44 AM
SluggoMagoo
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Not sure which Iron Horse trailer you’re referring too (open or enclosed) but I have a 2000 Excalibur which is similar to an Iron Horse.
Excalibur though went out of business I believe around 2010.

I was trailering up to the Black Hills one year and went through a hail storm.
I didn’t get any damage but as soon as I got back home I started looking for an enclosed trailer.

I figured I’ve got too much $$ in my bike to let it get pounded by hail, plus a enclosed trailer would give me someplace to securely park it once I get to where-ever I’m going.
I was just about to buy a standard 10’ “Carry-On” brand trailer when I saw an add on craigslist for the Excalibur for about the same money as the “Carry-On”.

Even though the standard trailer probably has more uses in hauling other types of stuff I figured the main reason for the trailer was the bike so why not buy a trailer made for a bike?
Anyway at around 700 .lbs, it tows very well and even with my Heritage in it the tow weight is only around 1600 lbs.

That being said there's nothing wrong with a standard type trailer, but I think the cheaper ones like the "Carry-On" isn't built as tough as my Excalibur.
However I've seen some "higher end" standard trailers that are pretty well built but you're likely not going to get a 10-12 footer for $3000 or less.

Now whether or not you should buy an Iron Horse?
I think a new one is around $5K so if you can get it and after all repairs you have no more than $3-3500 in it I think you’ll be OK.

I paid I think $2400 for mine and twice I’ve been offered more than that for it.
If I had bought the “Carry-On” for $2600, it surely wouldn’t be worth anywhere near that now.

Also I have used it for hauling other things than the bike and even though it's not designed for that it works well.

I just picked up a 2001 Excalibur with new tires and bearings. I was wondering if you upgraded the wheel chock in yours. I was thinking about one of the Condor products instead of that cheesy chock that came with the trailer.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:19 AM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 668 Likes on 386 Posts

I agree, the wheel chock appears to be very cheesy. It has, however, done a good job for me over the last 5 years. When the over head light blows it's bulb, you will want to shoot the engineer that thought up it's location. I cut a piece of sheet metal and moved mine forward about 6 inches. Do yourself a favor and put a piece of 2x4 down in front of the ramp when you load the bike...saves wear and tear of the ramp edge. If you store your bike in the trailer over the winter as I do, you will want to plug the ventilation holes in the floor with steel wool to keep the mice out.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:21 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by SluggoMagoo
I just picked up a 2001 Excalibur with new tires and bearings. I was wondering if you upgraded the wheel chock in yours. I was thinking about one of the Condor products instead of that cheesy chock that came with the trailer.
Welcome to the Excalibur Club.
I've had mine for a few years and it's held up well.

As for wheel chocks;
I have the Condor and the HF wheel chocks;

There's nothing cheap about the Condor and that includes the price.
However with the trailer docking mount moving it from the garage to the trailer takes only minutes.

As for the HF chock; I think for the money it's a better buy than the Condor.
It's certainly not made as well but it does the job.
However it doesn't have a trailer docking mount so you either have to bolt it down or I would think it would move slightly.

In the above picture I have my Wife's Suzuki parked in it.
The only reason I strap it down is the Suzuki is so light that it doesn't take much to move it and I don't want it falling over onto my Heritage.

So if you've got the coin I'd recommend the Condor with the optional trailer docking mount. It's certainly the better wheel chock.
However if money's tight and you don't trailer often you could probably get by just fine with the HF chock.

Last edited by Bluraven; 11-02-2018 at 10:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SluggoMagoo (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 12:56 PM
SluggoMagoo
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Welcome to the Excalibur Club.
I've had mine for a few years and it's held up well.

As for wheel chocks;
I have the Condor and the HF wheel chocks;

There's nothing cheap about the Condor and that includes the price.
However with the trailer docking mount moving it from the garage to the trailer takes only minutes.

As for the HF chock; I think for the money it's a better buy than the Condor.
It's certainly not made as well but it does the job.g
However it doesn't have a trailer docking mount so you either have to bolt it down or I would think it would move slightly.

In the above picture I have my Wife's Suzuki parked in it.
The only reason I strap it down is the Suzuki is so light that it doesn't take much to move it and I don't want it falling over onto my Heritage.

So if you've got the coin I'd recommend the Condor with the optional trailer docking mount. It's certainly the better wheel chock.
However if money's tight and you don't trailer often you could probably get by just fine with the HF chock.
I picked up the HF chock and I'm going to give it a go. I can always return it if it doesn't work out.

Quick Reply: Iron Horse single bike trailer?