General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron Horse single bike trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 04:37 PM
SluggoMagoo
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Removed the cheesy chock and got the HF wheel chock installed and it fits perfect. I put the street bob in and it stands up strait with no jiffy stand or straps. Of course I wouldn't drive it that way. As for the light. Mine's full of water, YIKES. It was also corroded. I drilled out the rivets and pulled the plug. I'm going to lay some cardboard down on the floor until it rains again. I guess I'll need to find a new one. I guess I should buy some caulk too.

Old 11-02-2018, 05:26 PM
The Dude
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ppilotmike
Sorry I should have mentioned it was the single bike model. In 2010 Iron Horse went to an aluminum frame and wheels which saves about 150 pounds on the empty weight which helped on the carrying capacity. That being said my Sport Glide only weighs 700 pounds which will put me well under the GVW of 2000 pounds. The guy is asking $2500 for the trailer, I am a bit on the fence because this trailer is only good for one thing.
Good for one thing?, i have a single wide Excalibur and a double wide iron horse. They haul the bikes and also haul the kids back and forth to college. The double wide hauled my 5 ft wide sandblast cabinet, loaded the single up and took it to florida on vacation a few times. Do not even know there behind you. Only issue is if you load it you need to make sure you have enough room to drop the clamshell up front. I hauled my limited home from the dealer in the single but had to remove the windshield and antennas. Even the double wide however i do not think two limiteds would fit with the fairings. Hauled a wide glide and a Heritage just fine however.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:39 PM
SluggoMagoo
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by The Dude
Good for one thing?, i have a single wide Excalibur and a double wide iron horse. They haul the bikes and also haul the kids back and forth to college. The double wide hauled my 5 ft wide sandblast cabinet, loaded the single up and took it to florida on vacation a few times. Do not even know there behind you. Only issue is if you load it you need to make sure you have enough room to drop the clamshell up front. I hauled my limited home from the dealer in the single but had to remove the windshield and antennas. Even the double wide however i do not think two limiteds would fit with the fairings. Hauled a wide glide and a Heritage just fine however.
And if your handy you could driver around to sporting events with a coffee maker and a hotdog cooker and make a few bucks!

Old 11-05-2018, 08:30 AM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 590 Likes on 363 Posts

I borrowed my friend's trailer and hauled 1,000 pounds worth of tools and stuff to a swap meet this past spring in Carlisle PA so I hardly would say it's good for one thing.

I may actually sleep in it for a few days next spring and save on hotels since I found out they had showers at the show grounds

Old 11-05-2018, 11:34 AM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,939 Likes on 1,369 Posts

If you're not concerned about running an enclosed trailer and don't have money you don't need... picking up a used, tilt-deck golf cart trailer off craigslist worked great for me. I only trailer if the bikes broke down though and I'm living on the cheap.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:01 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Last year i was thinking about picking this up....But i thought about it to long? Could of got it for cheap!! Oh well,You snooze=You loose...

Old 11-05-2018, 12:22 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,323 Likes on 1,449 Posts

It looks like there's no love for Pingel or Pingel-type chocks here. I use Pingel removable chocks in my enclosed cargo trailer, and I think they're great. I also have a Condor chock that I use in my garage and sometimes in my open trailer. Although the Condor chock is handy for holding the bike straight up when it's being tied down, I think the Pingel chocks are stronger will last longer for hauling and tie-down duty.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:42 PM
murray5p
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just picked up my 2006 IronHorse Eagle about a month ago. It is the fixed top on it and single bike. Got a 2017 Dodge ram with 5.7 hemi. you hardly know the trailer is hooked on. Its very aerodynamic . I bought it to haul my 2016 RG down to Phenix from central Canada for a month of early spring riding. Very happy with the trailer and I phoned Ironhorse , they said they still carry all the parts I would ever need. It has the retractible legs for loading at the rear as well.