General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade in?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018 | 07:53 AM
Dan28
Road Master

My 2009 Sportster 1200C also had ignition and electrical problems that kept draining the battery. It went in to the dealer for warranty repairs several times and each time the dealer thought they found the problem. Like you I finally had enough and traded it in on a 2011 Wide Glide, also switched dealers.

Last edited by Dan28; 05-23-2018 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-23-2018 | 09:33 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by keerios
Thanks for all the advice!

It's all slightly strange things, had odd battery issues over the winter, they replaced it. When I bought the bike the wire harness with my turn signals was out, they replaced it then about a month ago it burnt out again, when I brought it in to get the panel changed the second time they also said a wire to my break lights was bad and they had to replace that. When I was riding the right turn signal suddenly stopped working, then at a gas station the bike just wouldnt turn on, thought it was the fob but the alarm wasn't going off so I knew it recognized the fob. When I brought it in they said a wire had somehow been spliced and the battery was being overcharged so something was wrong with the charging system. Lots of strange things.
Sounds like your used Sportster was modded by the previous owner and then changed back to "stock" when sold to the dealer. Buying previously modded bikes will create the electrical gremlins you are experiencing. If your bike was unmolested, your Sporty would be reliable.

Old 05-23-2018 | 12:25 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JackStaff
Cut your losses - dump it! If you use it for distance runs you sure as hell don't want a ride you can't rely on! Lots of good (really good - excellent?) used buys out there. Likely the previous owner had something to do with your gremlins? U need to become a discerning buyer.
Originally Posted by Dan28
My 2009 Sportster 1200C also had ignition and electrical problems that kept draining the battery. It went in to the dealer for warranty repairs several times and each time the dealer thought they found the problem. Like you I finally had enough and traded it in on a 2011 Wide Glide, also switched dealers.
Originally Posted by upflying
Sounds like your used Sportster was modded by the previous owner and then changed back to "stock" when sold to the dealer. Buying previously modded bikes will create the electrical gremlins you are experiencing. If your bike was unmolested, your Sporty would be reliable.
These posts just reminded me of the other thread on here a while back “Why would anyone buy a new bike when there are so many nice used ones around?” Well, this is why. Exactly why.

Old 05-23-2018 | 01:19 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by UUNetBill

These posts just reminded me of the other thread on here a while back “Why would anyone buy a new bike when there are so many nice used ones around?” Well, this is why. Exactly why.
The Harley I had the most problems with I bought new. It was also the only Harley I've sold. I figure it was built on a Monday or Friday.

Old 05-23-2018 | 01:23 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior

i always say once a lemon always a lemon, trade it in on another bike. I personally wouldnt keep it hoping that they finally found the problem.

Old 05-23-2018 | 04:31 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master

Sorry to hear that.

Sometimes it can be as simple as a ground, but with everything they put in newer stuff now it's hard to say. If a ground isn't tight you can get enough power for one thing, like the alarm, and not enough for something else, like the starter. Or it could be something like a problem in the turn signal switch since it also has the start button on it. Maybe something's exposed and drawing/suppling power wrong.

I guess what it comes down to is if you'd still enjoy riding it or not if all these problems where fixed today. It could be a simple fix and you never have an issue again, it could be one thing after another if someone meddled with it. Like Uncle Kebo said, these are symptoms not the cause of the issue. If you bought it from a dealer I'd go back there and expect them to make it up to you if you decide to go with a different bike.

If they gave you the option to trade it, make sure it's done in a way that they're not throwing more costs at you. Basically short of the taxes, I'd personally be wanting a straight across value trade. It's fixable, but the root hasn't been found yet and the question then becomes if it's worth it to you.

Last edited by CaptainAwesome; 05-23-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-30-2018 | 03:48 AM
galtjunk
Stellar HDF Member

Did Harley switch to Lucas electronics?