General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Module recall and cost to replace

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 08:51 AM
Robb Liupo
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ABS Module recall and cost to replace

I posted this in the wheel forum but I thought I would post this here to get more comments.
I recently brought my 2010 Ultra Classic in for the ABS fluid replacement recall. It ended up needing an ABS module. I didn't flush my rear brake (my bad) so that channel was sticking in the module. Anyway it cost 400 for the unit and 200 to install for a total of 600. One thing that I was uncomfortable with was Harley sent the unit through Harley Tech support under warranty but I was still charged for the module. The service writer did mention that the ABS module is a restrictive part so the only way it could be ordered was through Harley Tech support and could only ship under a warranty claim, however it was not covered under warranty so I had to pay for it. I "kinda" get it but I would be interested in any Harley mechanics thoughts on this, and if this does make sense to you guys? Call me cynical but I don't totally trust Harley Dealers.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:04 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,987 Likes on 11,993 Posts

I read somewhere the general public cannot buy the module, it is sold to HD dealers only.
Your 8 yr old bike obviously is well out of warranty.
IIRC, there are a lot of threads about failed ABS units caused by lack of maintenance.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:16 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,970 Likes on 4,162 Posts

I know it does not help you but I personally think Harley's eningeering is at fault here. There is probably a 60% chance the part would have failed even if you had pumped new fluid thru it. They have some type of lawsuit over this.

Having a critical part like this that requires 2 year
maintenance is unacceptable to common sense.
How many cars loose high dollar parts, not to mention critical parts like that in 8 years.

Even that $200 to install is a screwing. A couple bolts, couple fittings and an electrical connection.
Harley is kissing their own *** good buy with sorry service and their **** on customers attitude when it's truely Harley junk that has been passed on to you.

Harley needs to offer free brake flushes on this part and or replace the part.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-18-2018 at 09:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
chickenfried1911 (11-18-2021)
Old 05-18-2018, 09:20 AM
Robb Liupo
Cruiser
Default I agree

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
I know it does not help you but I personally think Harley's eningeering is at fault here. There is probably a 50% chance the part would have failed even if you had pumped new fluid thru it.
How many cars loose high dollar parts, not to mention critical parts like that in 8 years.
Even that $200 to install is a screwing. A couple bolts, couple fittings and an electrical connection.
Harley is kissing their own *** good buy with sorry service and their **** on customers attitude when it's truely Harley junk that has been passed on to you.
I would think the "fail safe" design would at least allow for some braking. In my case the rear brake absolutely did not work, no matter how hard I pushed. When an abs module fails on a car you still have braking.

Jehu (09-08-2021)
Old 05-18-2018, 09:28 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,987 Likes on 11,993 Posts

Originally Posted by Robb Liupo
I would think the "fail safe" design would at least allow for some braking. In my case the rear brake absolutely did not work, no matter how hard I pushed. When an abs module fails on a car you still have braking.
Lawsuit here..
https://www.bigclassaction.com/lawsu...ake-defect.php

Old 05-18-2018, 09:33 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,970 Likes on 4,162 Posts

Originally Posted by Robb Liupo
You are correct that the ABS system is a stand alone system and the brake system is separate. Way back in 1994, had a GM truck that had little shrader valves you needed to push to bleed ABS. Toyota and Honda had already moved on to truely independent systems.
Harley has yet to even catch up with 1994 GM junk.
Problem with them is they are too busy filling their pockets with money.
Rather then make it right, they accept half-*** and throw it out there to the customer.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-18-2018 at 09:35 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jackie Paper:
chickenfried1911 (11-18-2021), Jehu (09-08-2021), Robb Liupo (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 09:51 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,062 Likes on 5,816 Posts

I know it does not help you but I personally think Harley's eningeering is at fault here. There is probably a 60% chance the part would have failed even if you had pumped new fluid thru it. They have some type of lawsuit over this.

Having a critical part like this that requires 2 year
maintenance is unacceptable to common sense.
I have a 2006 Chevy truck with 286,000 miles...still got the original brake fluid in it from the factory ...ABS brakes still works fine.

chickenfried1911 (11-18-2021)
Old 05-18-2018, 10:15 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,318 Likes on 1,445 Posts

You are correct that the ABS system is a stand alone system and the brake system is separate. Way back in 1994, had a GM truck that had little shrader valves you needed to push to bleed ABS. Toyota and Honda had already moved on to truely independent systems.
Harley has yet to even catch up with 1994 GM junk.
Problem with them is they are too busy filling their pockets with money.
Rather then make it right, they accept half-*** and throw it out there to the customer.
The ABS in my '98 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 worked okay from the time I bought it new until I sold it with 235,000 miles on it. AFAIK, it's still working for it's current owner. If there was a problem, they must have fixed it.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:38 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,767 Likes on 2,532 Posts

Here's the questioning logic. The recall on brake fluid replacement and ABS modules involves 2008-2011 models, the kicker is the same module is in the model years, 2012 and 2013 years. Why are aren't those covered? It's the same ABS module by part number. The module changed by part number in 2014.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:18 PM
Robb Liupo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
Here's the questioning logic. The recall on brake fluid replacement and ABS modules involves 2008-2011 models, the kicker is the same module is in the model years, 2012 and 2013 years. Why are aren't those covered? It's the same ABS module by part number. The module changed by part number in 2014.
That's a great question, my only thought is that it takes 5 or 6 years before the module gets blocked and the abs fails, bikes made in 2012 and 2013 haven't reached that time yet. I have read that Harley was very reluctant to do anything and only agreed to a brake flush as a way to make this problem go away. I presume to limit the financial exposure they limited it to fix bikes that have been on the road long enough to experience the problem.

Jehu (09-08-2021)

Quick Reply: ABS Module recall and cost to replace