General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Module recall and cost to replace

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 02:36 AM
LoneWoolf
Stellar HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 488 Posts

I'll at least make you feel better. The ABS module for a 2004 BMW K1200RS is about $2000. That does not include installation. The bike is worth about $4000. Nice bike, but too much drama.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:50 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

I always intended to get ABS on my next bike, but after seeing the problems people are having it makes me hesitant.

Are there any failures if you adhere to the proper flushing schedule?

I think Harley should give you a discount was on this recall as it's partly their fault. I had to spend $700 on a 2003 Aztek 3.4L intake manifold gasket, which was a pattern failure for many years. I got $400 back through a class action suit. People rip on class action suits, but GM deserved it. And Harley deserves one here. I would join one if I was you.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:36 AM
Robb Liupo
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

OMG that's incredible, and I thought my repair was expensive. A riding buddy of mine rides an RT1200, its a great bike but just seems to have a lot of the German complexity that seems overkill in many areas. I must admit though, his bike is very good looking.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:38 AM
Robb Liupo
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
I always intended to get ABS on my next bike, but after seeing the problems people are having it makes me hesitant.

Are there any failures if you adhere to the proper flushing schedule?

I think Harley should give you a discount was on this recall as it's partly their fault. I had to spend $700 on a 2003 Aztek 3.4L intake manifold gasket, which was a pattern failure for many years. I got $400 back through a class action suit. People rip on class action suits, but GM deserved it. And Harley deserves one here. I would join one if I was you.
I would never get a bike without ABS, yes it does require you flush the brakes every 2 years, but that's a small price to pay for the added margin of safety it provides.

The following users liked this post:
LoneWoolf (05-24-2018)
Old 09-18-2019, 01:16 AM
Shane Benson
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abs locking up brakes

I have 2 harley sorry had 2 in which i rode off my rocker c 2 years ago because of the front brake locking up. My wife and i were hurt pretty bad lucky we wernt killed. Nothing back than was ever mentioned about the abs units being faulty. I only just found out 3 weeks ago when my roadking front brake locked up luckily at low speed and i was by myself. My wife now is to scared to get on a bike. When it happened again i started to google the problem. I cant understand how such a major problem has not been smashed all over the news. Are they going to wait till someone dies to rectify this problem. I lost a lot from the accident but i still have my wife and im still alive. I did have my bike serviced by harley at regular intervals but was never contacted over any of these problems.

Last edited by Shane Benson; 09-18-2019 at 01:19 AM.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:31 AM
sechracer
Tourer
Received 154 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Shane Benson
I have 2 harley sorry had 2 in which i rode off my rocker c 2 years ago because of the front brake locking up. My wife and i were hurt pretty bad lucky we wernt killed. Nothing back than was ever mentioned about the abs units being faulty. I only just found out 3 weeks ago when my roadking front brake locked up luckily at low speed and i was by myself. My wife now is to scared to get on a bike. When it happened again i started to google the problem. I cant understand how such a major problem has not been smashed all over the news. Are they going to wait till someone dies to rectify this problem. I lost a lot from the accident but i still have my wife and im still alive. I did have my bike serviced by harley at regular intervals but was never contacted over any of these problems.
you say it locked up? like stopped the front tire and made it skid? ABS module failure usually makes the lever/foot pedal get hard, and keeps the brakes from applying.....

Old 09-18-2019, 02:04 AM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 7,198 Likes on 3,422 Posts

Rockers were never equipped with ABS, so it can't be blamed for that incident.

What year is your Road King? The recall covered 08-11 V-Rods and touring models with ABS so if yours falls within that range you should have received a recall notice if you're the original owner of the bike.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:13 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Robb Liupo
I would think the "fail safe" design would at least allow for some braking. In my case the rear brake absolutely did not work, no matter how hard I pushed. When an abs module fails on a car you still have braking.
Unfortunately it is NOT a fail safe system. It is a fail UNSAFE system. Therein lies the problem. When it fails, you have NO brakes at all.

R1Geezrglide (10-15-2023)
Old 09-18-2019, 11:29 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,355 Likes on 2,534 Posts

when my roadking front brake locked up luckily at low speed and i was by myself.
how low speed? abs will not activate if you're going below a certain speed.

sorry if i sound skeptical, but 1 post, and you've had 2 harleys that have both had front wheel lockups, one resulting in an accident. one on a bike that was never equipped with abs, and the second admittedly at 'slow' speed (don't know how slow yet), maybe the problem isn't the bike, but the rider?

Old 09-18-2019, 11:40 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,318 Likes on 1,445 Posts

ABS modules can be repaired or rebuilt. Someone out there is rebuilding vehicle control modules but I don't have the link here. HD probably confiscates the bad modules in order to keep them from being rebuilt.

ykhan567 (04-20-2022)

Quick Reply: ABS Module recall and cost to replace