General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Again...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018 | 02:16 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gunn58
Well that ended that....... I talked to Bob @Big Bottom (did the paint ) and he told me the only way this going to happen is if I build to 2018 specs and it is going to be a lot of hoop jumping but there are other avenues that I can explore........ So my dream of owning a pan or shovel are pretty much nil....... lesson learned if it seems to be too good to be true.... it is a lie. Well thank you all for your time on to next mis-adventure Peace.
Sorry but I dont understand. So you can't put in "whatever" motor / tranny you want?

Old 05-18-2018 | 03:52 PM
Gunn58
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DanHappy
Sorry but I dont understand. So you can't put in "whatever" motor / tranny you want?
In order to build what I want ( or don't want ) I have to go by epa B******t and dot guide lines so when it is all said and done it will have to be registered as 2018.... To me it isn't worth the hassle...... but where there is a will there's a way I am not going to give up to get what I want.This frame fits LOL me

Old 05-18-2018 | 04:31 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gunn58
In order to build what I want ( or don't want ) I have to go by epa B******t and dot guide lines so when it is all said and done it will have to be registered as 2018.... To me it isn't worth the hassle...... but where there is a will there's a way I am not going to give up to get what I want.This frame fits LOL me
Sounds like the same problems Jesse James/West Coast Choppers had.
https://www.wheels.ca/news/jesse-jam...ity-violation/

Old 05-18-2018 | 04:46 PM
Gunn58
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by upflying
Sounds like the same problems Jesse James/West Coast Choppers had.
https://www.wheels.ca/news/jesse-jam...ity-violation/
I read about that a little while back and reading it again refreshed the memory lol, but like I said above this roller will be what I want and not a 2018 B*******t bike there are always back alley's in life and now is the time to investigate them

And yes Shovel....Panhead .......Evo motors will slide in nicely

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-19-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-18-2018 | 11:15 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

What state are you in?

Old 05-19-2018 | 12:12 AM
Gunn58
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 0maha
What state are you in?
New York

Old 05-19-2018 | 02:04 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member

What exactly were you hoping to have it registered as? How do you know for sure that it can even be registered?

I think you may be putting the cart before the horse. In spite of what Big Bottom Bob has told you your "build" has to start at the DMV.
They will need to validate the MSO number and do a title search to see if any title has ever been issued to that number. I don't know if NY requires
an inspection for registration but you don't want to sink a ton of cash into a build and then find out at the inspection that your paperwork and number are bogus
because they will confiscate the whole thing. BTW. You do have a Bill Of Sale or some other legal document other than the MSO from the guy you bought it from, right?

Old 05-19-2018 | 08:12 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

You need to talk to your DMV people. Or maybe someone from NY who has experience in this will chime in.

In Nebraska there would be no problem, assuming the MSO is clean AND you have the correct documentation on all the other 'major components' (IE, engine, trans, etc) you use.

Old 05-19-2018 | 08:16 AM
Gunn58
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hey Man
What exactly were you hoping to have it registered as? How do you know for sure that it can even be registered?
I think you may be putting the cart before the horse. In spite of what Big Bottom Bob has told you your "build" has to start at the DMV.
They will need to validate the MSO number and do a title search to see if any title has ever been issued to that number. I don't know if NY requires
an inspection for registration but you don't want to sink a ton of cash into a build and then find out at the inspection that your paperwork and number are bogus
because they will confiscate the whole thing. BTW. You do have a Bill Of Sale or some other legal document other than the MSO from the guy you bought it from, right?
Okay let me clarify the good price, an old set of tires ( off my springer ) a pair of buckhorns (off my springer) and some cables I had laying around. so there is no bill of sale it was a trade.so if I did the math $600.00 for a roller isn't a bad deal.And I guess you and I think differently about the horse and cart thing ( no disrespect ) I wanted to know "first what fit". then I was going to the DMV, Then I was going to build. and to be honest I really don't think that this roller or bike as it was, was ever registered. The odometer has 1 mile on it. and yes it is original odometer. And Bob @ Big Bottom has been building bikes and painting for over 40 years, so I would think he would know NYS DMV laws better me. Hence the post above about having to jump through hoops. As for what I was going to register it as I was thinking Pan, Shovel or what ever NYS requires me to register as. And before someone asks the #'s on the frame match the paper work. and no in NYS you can register w/o inspection they give you 10 days to inspect.

Last edited by Gunn58; 05-19-2018 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-19-2018 | 08:52 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

I'd go back to the party you "traded" with. Have them create a BoS. Have as much paperwork as you can get when you go to DMV. Good luck with your project.

Quick Reply: Need Help Again...