General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration at 60+

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018 | 08:57 AM
tmultra
|
Road Warrior
Default Vibration at 60+

Looking for some ideas on my ultra classic. Under 60 it feels smooth as glass. I have fairly new tires. Avons running at air pressure recommended on avons website. I have ride on in the tires. When I get to 60 mph from there on up I get a vibration that feels like an unbalanced wheel. It could be my imagination but I think it feels less noticeable when my wife is on. I had my front wheel bearings replace in the fall and they said one was bad so I figure good chance I might have a bad bearing in the rear as well and will be getting them changed. Any other ideas? Would a bearing cause that feeling? I don’t hear any grinding or obvious sounds to indicate a bad bearing. I know harley had bearing issues so that is why I’m replacing them.

Old 05-14-2018 | 09:12 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

On an empty roadway~
Get back up to speed with a your wife in a car beside you. Have her friend drive. Have her watch your bike to see if the wheel(s) are bouncing or hopping around. If she can't tell anything, have her video you with her phone in slow motion. You'll be able to see a lot more when the slo mo video is reviewed. Don't use a roadway surface with rain grooves. Try at a speed that makes the vibration the worst so she can see the problem the easiest.

If this shows nothing unusual, then take your bike to an indy that has a dyno. They can run the wheel speed up to any speed (below 200mph). This should isolate whether it's front or rear wheel issue. It might be something as simple as the tire bead not seated fully on part of your rim. It has happened before...

The following users liked this post:
mctraveler (05-14-2018)
Old 05-14-2018 | 01:46 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member

Take it up to 70, pull in the clutch, and kill the engine. If the vibration goes away it's the powertrain causing the vibration. If the vibration is still there it's a tire, wheel, or chassis issue.

Old 05-14-2018 | 02:16 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Whenever I have a problem I go back to the basics and start from there. You indicated you are using Ride-On and as such have you followed their installation directions? I use Dyna Beads in my tires and recall they were very specific as to how much to use, air pressure, etc.

Some other ideas as to what to check (I know you didn't report wobbles but still good to check) : http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/stee...ering-wobbles/

Good luck with solving the vibrations!

Old 05-14-2018 | 02:26 PM
tmultra
|
Road Warrior

I had dyna beads in originally. I removed them and tried the ride on. Really noticed no difference at all. So I think that would likely eliminate the tire not being seated as well as the tires have been off and back on a few times with no change. I still have suspicions it could be the rear bearing and I’m going to get them changed soon.

I didnadjust the neck bearing per the book because because I did have some wobble in the turns and that has been corrected but the vibration is still there. I guess it’s also possible I just got some bad tires

Old 05-14-2018 | 02:47 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Old 05-14-2018 | 02:54 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member

Check your spokes to make certain that they are all tight.

Old 05-14-2018 | 03:03 PM
QNman
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by harleydavis
Check your spokes to make certain that they are all tight.
No spokes on a 2013 UC.

Old 05-14-2018 | 03:11 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member

When you find out what it is, get it patented, and sell it in QOTR.

Old 05-14-2018 | 05:25 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by QNman
No spokes on a 2013 UC.
Sure looks like spokes in the OP's picture.

Quick Reply: Vibration at 60+