General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrenching?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2023, 03:51 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,267 Likes on 1,311 Posts

I just watch threads like this rinse and repeat about twice a year.

carl

The following users liked this post:
Spartanden (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 07:31 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,318 Likes on 6,129 Posts

Originally Posted by ksol5
I do some simple things, change the oils, install slip ons, I took the front wheel off one of the bike to get a new tire installed. I like doing that stuff. I started looking into replacing the bars on my softail slim but I gotta say, the amount of posts from people who tried doing theirs and things don't work, bike won't start, throwing all kinds of error codes and on and on...I paid an independent guy to do it, $600 including parts and it sounded like it was a pain in his ***.
That’s the great thing about older bikes. Swapping bars is a pretty simple task, loosen the cables, loosen the controls, swap the bars and reassemble. Easy peasy.

Old 02-07-2023, 08:18 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,160 Likes on 6,705 Posts

Been wrenching for a lot of years, still...
On some bigger-type jobs, I noticed that I fret about it more than I need to, even when I know all the details of what needs to be done. Once you dive in, it's like "This isn't so hard".
Top end on both bikes, bottom end on the Shovel, even rebuilding the engine on my '48 Ford tractor was actually easy for me and kinda fun.
There's a point when it's all apart, where it easily looks like all is lost...but it's just part of the sequence. When it's back together and purring, that's a sense of accomplishment and some pride that most guys these days miss out on.
Besides, my stuff is so old, the dealer won't work on it anyway.

The following 5 users liked this post by RHPAW:
Bobjv (02-08-2023), M Oclaf (02-07-2023), phil48315 (02-07-2023), s-glide76 (02-07-2023), TwiZted Biker (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 10:47 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,318 Likes on 6,129 Posts

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Been wrenching for a lot of years, still...
On some bigger-type jobs, I noticed that I fret about it more than I need to, even when I know all the details of what needs to be done. Once you dive in, it's like "This isn't so hard".
Top end on both bikes, bottom end on the Shovel, even rebuilding the engine on my '48 Ford tractor was actually easy for me and kinda fun.
There's a point when it's all apart, where it easily looks like all is lost...but it's just part of the sequence. When it's back together and purring, that's a sense of accomplishment and some pride that most guys these days miss out on.
Besides, my stuff is so old, the dealer won't work on it anyway.
BT/DT, a few times I have something torn apart on the bench or in the driveway and think "what have I gotten myself into?". Then a few hours later I'm starting it up and grinning as I hear it roar to life and idle. Its a great feeling for sure.

phil48315 (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 10:47 AM
Lunchboxx
Road Master

Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by zen1300
I see so many posts where folks are paying the dealer to wrench on their bikes (Stage 1, 2, pipes/carb adjust, etc.).

The parts are expensive enough, why do so many people pay the dealer?
I can think of two reasons they pay!
1) They have no desire or ability to do it themselves
2) They have money to pay!

I do most of my own because I have the ability and I don't have allot of $$! But I don't really care what other people choose to spend their money on!

Marsikus (02-10-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 10:52 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
​​​​​​Wish we'de had the camera tech back when I first enjoyed playing with these things, but scoots we're a lot simpler then too. Good move on your part, kudos.
It's proven useful quite a few times.
One in particular that proved it's worth was for some reason I had got it into my head that I didn't torque the S&S tappet cuff down properly when I swapped to new lifters.
My brain wouldnt shut the **** up about it so I was thinking at my 10K service I'd pull out the rear pushrods and tappet block, and redo the rear tappet cuff.
I went to check the video to see where I ****ed up and how.
Turns out I didn't **** up at all.
I actually did the whole procedure correctly, with a triple check on the torque on the bolt that I thought I hadn't done correctly.
So I saved myself several hours in the garage and tearing apart part of my bike again unnecessarily because I had a video of me doing the install.

The following 3 users liked this post by FranBunnyFFXII:
BigD48 (02-08-2023), phil48315 (02-07-2023), TwiZted Biker (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 08:48 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,987 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
It's proven useful quite a few times.
One in particular that proved it's worth was for some reason I had got it into my head that I didn't torque the S&S tappet cuff down properly when I swapped to new lifters.
My brain wouldnt shut the **** up about it so I was thinking at my 10K service I'd pull out the rear pushrods and tappet block, and redo the rear tappet cuff.
I went to check the video to see where I ****ed up and how.
Turns out I didn't **** up at all.
I actually did the whole procedure correctly, with a triple check on the torque on the bolt that I thought I hadn't done correctly.
So I saved myself several hours in the garage and tearing apart part of my bike again unnecessarily because I had a video of me doing the install.
I can relate, had the doubt worm chew on the grey matter a time or two thinking I'd missed something and find later I hadn't. Pulled a lower end down once because I could not remember if I'd done the final torque on a crank pin nut. Luckily it was still a bare lower, hadn't done the barrels up yet.

Old 02-07-2023, 08:57 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,349 Likes on 7,926 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
I can relate, had the doubt worm chew on the grey matter a time or two thinking I'd missed something and find later I hadn't. Pulled a lower end down once because I could not remember if I'd done the final torque on a crank pin nut. Luckily it was still a bare lower, hadn't done the barrels up yet.
Marking fasteners with a felt pen or dykem after final torque has always worked for me. When you have to answer the phone or help a customer when in the middle of assembling something critical it helps keep the job on track.

Old 02-07-2023, 09:40 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,987 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy C
Marking fasteners with a felt pen or dykem after final torque has always worked for me. When you have to answer the phone or help a customer when in the middle of assembling something critical it helps keep the job on track.
Picked up that habit a bit later playing millwright/ Machine repairman, witness marks are lovely thing.

Tommy C (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 10:19 AM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,844 Likes on 957 Posts

Originally Posted by Lunchboxx
I can think of two reasons they pay!
1) They have no desire or ability to do it themselves
2) They have money to pay!

I do most of my own because I have the ability and I don't have allot of $$! But I don't really care what other people choose to spend their money on!
You forgot the most important reason . . . "Time". My excuse is I have the desire, but lack the ability and I have no time with job and family. For simple things like bolt on mods I do like doing those. Anything inside the motor or changing tires, I leave to the professionals. My thought process is "Drop it off on Monday, get it back on Thursday, ride on Saturday". I'm old enough to know my manhood and "bikerness" (new word) is not defined by my ability to wrench. We all have different skills and and ability, but riding is what we all have in common.

Quick Reply: Wrenching?