General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Info on wiring harnesses

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018 | 11:58 AM
JDOrlando
|
Advanced
Default Info on wiring harnesses

Hey all, so a slightly odd question but my slightly odd bike gives me the need to ask it!

So I have a 2003 FXDWG that when I purchased it was advertised as having had a 'conversion to EFI'. As it turns out it was a little more than that, at some point in the bikes life it has had its engine replaced with a 2012 103ci from a Softail, still running on the original 5 speed transmission. Everything works just great, but the wiring loom has been chopped and spliced so much that its pretty much impossible to work out what is what and recently I have been having some issues with the motorcycles lighting, especially in the rear.

What I would really like to do is just rip the whole rats nest of a loom out and start again fresh....unfortunately I am not finding any 2012 Softail complete wiring looms out there for purchase on eBay etc. so I am wondering if anyone can tell me if I can use a loom from another model from the same year/engine type. I have found a loom for a 2012 FXDWG, which 'looks' like it would fit...but is that really the case.

I know this is an odd question and may sound dumb, but any advice would be greatly appreciated

Old 05-08-2018 | 01:45 PM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member

You might want to look further into what engine was transplanted into your bike. I haven't kept up with all the latest engines and what not but I believe there are some differences between the engine in a Wide Glide and a softail and I'm almost certain that the transmissions mount differently too.

Old 05-08-2018 | 01:57 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by monkeyboy22
You might want to look further into what engine was transplanted into your bike. I haven't kept up with all the latest engines and what not but I believe there are some differences between the engine in a Wide Glide and a softail and I'm almost certain that the transmissions mount differently too.
Biggest difference is the Softtail motor is gonna be a B motor.