General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thought this Helmet Would Help. WOW. What am I doing Wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 08:08 PM
PastorJamie
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thought this Helmet Would Help. WOW. What am I doing Wrong?

So I purchased a new 3/4 helmet. I thought that the 3/4 would quiet down wind noise over a 1/2 helmet. Man! It's way worse. It may be quieter wind noise but it's BASS-y-er wind noise now.

My questions is...could it be the helmet itself? Or is this a problem with 3/4 helmets? The helmet that I'm having a nasty time with is the Scorpion Belfast. It has a drop down sun shield and so I wonder if air is maybe getting in that way. Well, it's not air FLOW. It's the sound. Does anyone wear a Biltwell 3/4?

I ride a Road Glide Special; 2016. I just put a Klock Werks 12" Pro Tour Windshield on. Helmet off, the Klock Werks is great. Helmet on, stock shield is horrible, KW is eh.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:14 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,226 Likes on 12,059 Posts

The helmet covers your ears and the hollow sound in the ear cavity is amplified as wind rushes over the helmet. I'd consider using ear plugs to quiet things down.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:23 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

Could be buffeting from your windscreen. I have also found that helmet quality is directly proportionate to cost of helmet. Higher priced helmets are quieter, lighter, and smoother in the air stream than cheaper. I personally have never ridden with a 3/4 but have ridden with half, full, and modular. On touring bikes the windscreen made the most difference in noise levels. The quietest bike to ride with is my FXSTS without a windscreen. There is zero buffeting is why. An experiment you may try is to remove the windscreen from your bike and ride it down the road. If its quieter than the problem is your windscreen. Buy a shorter windscreen or a barn door size windscreen. Personally I prefer as little of a screen as possible.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:25 PM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 519 Likes on 268 Posts

I wear a 3/4 Bell 500 custom and it stops pretty much all wind noise. That said, if your helmet is not snug fitting to the sides it will amplify the wind noise if there is any gap between your cheeks and the helmet. Perfect fit is a must for a 3/4 helmet.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:27 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,430 Likes on 2,038 Posts

Noisiest helmet I ever had was an HJC modular. I would have quit riding forever if I had to wear it. I still feel helmetless is the quietest for me.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:31 PM
PastorJamie
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bestrafen
If your helmet is not snug fitting to the sides it will amplify the wind noise if there is any gap between your cheeks and the helmet. Perfect fit is a must for a 3/4 helmet.
Yeah. It's tight. Especially around my cheeks and temples. I wonder if it's the Sun Shield opening.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:31 PM
BobRR
Road Master
Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by PastorJamie
So I purchased a new 3/4 helmet. I thought that the 3/4 would quiet down wind noise over a 1/2 helmet. Man! It's way worse. It may be quieter wind noise but it's BASS-y-er wind noise now.

My questions is...could it be the helmet itself? Or is this a problem with 3/4 helmets? The helmet that I'm having a nasty time with is the Scorpion Belfast. It has a drop down sun shield and so I wonder if air is maybe getting in that way. Well, it's not air FLOW. It's the sound. Does anyone wear a Biltwell 3/4?

I ride a Road Glide Special; 2016. I just put a Klock Werks 12" Pro Tour Windshield on. Helmet off, the Klock Werks is great. Helmet on, stock shield is horrible, KW is eh.
Obviously, you need louder pipes.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:32 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 732 Posts

Earplugs....

Personal favorite...

Just the right amount of attenuation... takes out wind noise in the helmet and allows you to hear what's important around you. Very comfortable. I forget that I have them in.

Doesn't matter if it's a half helmet or FF. Wind noise will be a factor. On my bike, my FF also acts as an echo chamber for my exhaust. Don't think I could go with the FF without the earplugs. Couldn't do a 1/2 helmet without the earplugs because of the wind noise alone.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:12 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 16,111 Likes on 5,014 Posts

Try taking the shield off.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:19 PM
PastorJamie
Intermediate

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
Try taking the shield off.
I pulled the shield out. There's a huge cavity inside...wondering what I can fill it with because I think this is the problem. If I tilt my head down just a bit everything is nice and quiet.

Quick Reply: Thought this Helmet Would Help. WOW. What am I doing Wrong?