General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thought this Helmet Would Help. WOW. What am I doing Wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 01:37 PM
TeaRunner
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Dillbilly Bone
Interesting thread. We ride with Bell Pit Boss (1/2) or Shoei J Cruise (3/4) depending on the day's variables. The Pit Boss allows far more wind noise due to our ears being uncovered by anything. The J Cruise really quiets things down tremendously for us. Exhaust notes are dramatically muffled and the wind (in ears) basically disappears. We've both commented about how quiet and insulated (from noise) our Shoei helmets ride. I will say our helmets fit very snugly around the forehead, temples and cheeks. There really isn't any opportunity for wind to push in there. We're riding with Pin-Lock shields and using the drop-down visor internally. Windshield is a 9" Long Ride Ultra Elite.
That Pit Boss comes with a detachable ear cover curtain. Wind noise is not the fault of the helmet if you took it off.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:46 PM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,980 Likes on 955 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaRunner
That Pit Boss comes with a detachable ear cover curtain. Wind noise is not the fault of the helmet if you took it off.
Yes, and we have the zip-in curtains which we don’t use unless it’s chilly riding. They cover the ears and additional lower perimeter of the helmet. I don’t fault the helmets at all...in fact we both love the Pit Boss with all the air flow it provides.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:51 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 246 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Bestrafen
I wear a 3/4 Bell 500 custom and it stops pretty much all wind noise. That said, if your helmet is not snug fitting to the sides it will amplify the wind noise if there is any gap between your cheeks and the helmet. Perfect fit is a must for a 3/4 helmet.
This, I have to pull my helmet straps hard to get it on. Once on nice a quiet.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:52 PM
PastorJamie
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, problem solved.

Pulled the sun shield and bought a $4 can of sealing foam. Sealed the cavity where the shield was. AMAZING.

Need to do some cosmetic work...buy and glue in a piece of leather to cover the ugly foam.

But it it’s quiet! Just ran ‘around the block’ and even up to 70+mph.

$4 can of foam could have saved me $240 on a windshield. Next step is to see if I get the same experience behind my stock shield. If I do I’ll have to sell a brand new Klock Werks!

Old 05-08-2018, 06:56 PM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,236 Likes on 949 Posts

Get rid of the Klockwerks, get a Madstad windshield. You can thank me later when you hear nothing but quiet. And no buffet. Seriously

Last edited by Jed Clampett; 05-08-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:03 PM
banddirector
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Dillbilly Bone
Interesting thread. We ride with Bell Pit Boss (1/2) or Shoei J Cruise (3/4) depending on the day's variables. The Pit Boss allows far more wind noise due to our ears being uncovered by anything. The J Cruise really quiets things down tremendously for us. Exhaust notes are dramatically muffled and the wind (in ears) basically disappears. We've both commented about how quiet and insulated (from noise) our Shoei helmets ride. I will say our helmets fit very snugly around the forehead, temples and cheeks. There really isn't any opportunity for wind to push in there. We're riding with Pin-Lock shields and using the drop-down visor internally. Windshield is a 9" Long Ride Ultra Elite.
+1 on the J-Cruise - - best helmet I've ever worn. Pricey, but worth it ....

Old 05-08-2018, 09:41 PM
motohaid
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Here you go. Jack couldn't hear for a week after doing this scene.

Last edited by motohaid; 05-08-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:04 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,322 Likes on 1,866 Posts

It seems that anytime a buy a new helmet I forget that the past one(s) were a size to big for me!
A new helmet should be "snug" against you cheeks and your head should also fit snug "in the pocket " of the helmet.
Most of the time I wear a 1/2 shell with dual, drop-down shields but I also take my HJC FF modular (with speakers) on trips in case it gets wet or cold and it's well worth the effort to do so.
I have more issues with exhaust noise that I do with wind noise but in cool weather I wear a lightweight balaklava which covers my entire head and it helps with cool temps and a bit with noise.

Snowmobile helmets are designed more for wind/cold than they are for rain and/or noise.
Mine has a "snot guard" and a chin curtain insert. I would never use it while riding a bike but I do use it when snowplowing with my lawn tractor or snow blower!

Old 05-08-2018, 10:40 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Try a quality FF helmet that fits you well.