General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thought this Helmet Would Help. WOW. What am I doing Wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 09:52 PM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 519 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by PastorJamie
I pulled the shield out. There's a huge cavity inside...wondering what I can fill it with because I think this is the problem. If I tilt my head down just a bit everything is nice and quiet.
I think you found it.

Old 05-08-2018, 05:32 AM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,980 Likes on 955 Posts

Interesting thread. We ride with Bell Pit Boss (1/2) or Shoei J Cruise (3/4) depending on the day's variables. The Pit Boss allows far more wind noise due to our ears being uncovered by anything. The J Cruise really quiets things down tremendously for us. Exhaust notes are dramatically muffled and the wind (in ears) basically disappears. We've both commented about how quiet and insulated (from noise) our Shoei helmets ride. I will say our helmets fit very snugly around the forehead, temples and cheeks. There really isn't any opportunity for wind to push in there. We're riding with Pin-Lock shields and using the drop-down visor internally. Windshield is a 9" Long Ride Ultra Elite.

Old 05-08-2018, 05:55 AM
5280Ruffian
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

The best investment I ever made was a set of customer ear plugs. They cost about $60 at the local gun show, but they fit my ears perfectly and reduce any kind of noise. I've worn them riding, shooting, when the neighbor is being noisy, on the plane, you get the point. I can still hear people talking to me, but it takes the 'bite' out of loud noises. There are no special devices, just rubbery substance that fills my ears. Since they were made for my ears, they are comfortable all day.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:04 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

I had the same experience with a 3/4 helmet (Licks, purchased to wear in colder weather), I just went back to using my half helmet.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:40 AM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 663 Posts

I have the same experience when wearing a FF helmet. The wind noise will wear me out after a while and leave my ears ringing for several hours afterward. I only needed to experience that a couple times before I realized the potential damage to my hearing. Now I wear earplugs every time I get on the bike. You only get one shot at protecting your hearing.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:44 AM
Oko
Club Member
Received 4,350 Likes on 1,596 Posts

I used to have a couple of helmets with the drop down windshield. I ditched them for a lighter model without the drop down. I also found the drop down screen was always soft plastic and scratched easily. The suggestions on different windshield, and maybe lower deflectors, might help.
My one modular helmet for snowmobiling is very noisy compared to a solid full face helmet.

I use those cheap yellow industrial earplugs for long hauls. I sprinkle some in my jacket & saddlebags. Of course I only have one ear that works, so they last twice as long and make me still "legal" in NYS. Because in NYS, it's illegal to wear earplugs in BOTH ears.

Try some of the cheaper suggestions and work up from there. And report back on your findings.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:25 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,836 Likes on 2,548 Posts

Have you tried tilting/rocking the helmet forward with the sun shield down , tilt until the S/S just touches the bridge of your nose, then tilt it back till it's just off the skin.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:35 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 7,230 Likes on 3,433 Posts

Originally Posted by PastorJamie
So I purchased a new 3/4 helmet. I thought that the 3/4 would quiet down wind noise over a 1/2 helmet. Man! It's way worse. It may be quieter wind noise but it's BASS-y-er wind noise now.

My questions is...could it be the helmet itself? Or is this a problem with 3/4 helmets? The helmet that I'm having a nasty time with is the Scorpion Belfast. It has a drop down sun shield and so I wonder if air is maybe getting in that way. Well, it's not air FLOW. It's the sound. Does anyone wear a Biltwell 3/4?

I ride a Road Glide Special; 2016. I just put a Klock Werks 12" Pro Tour Windshield on. Helmet off, the Klock Werks is great. Helmet on, stock shield is horrible, KW is eh.

I have two 3/4 helmets, a Nolan and a Schuberth M-1. I don't have the problem you're describing with either one. The Schuberth has a sun shield but I don't use it as I wear prescription sunglasses. Looks like you're onto something regarding a cause for the noise however.

I should mention that I wear earplugs all the time when I ride, no matter if I'm wearing a 1/2, 3/4, or FF helmet.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:38 PM
JerseyDoug
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Dillbilly Bone
Interesting thread. We ride with Bell Pit Boss (1/2) or Shoei J Cruise (3/4) depending on the day's variables. The Pit Boss allows far more wind noise due to our ears being uncovered by anything. The J Cruise really quiets things down tremendously for us. Exhaust notes are dramatically muffled and the wind (in ears) basically disappears. We've both commented about how quiet and insulated (from noise) our Shoei helmets ride. I will say our helmets fit very snugly around the forehead, temples and cheeks. There really isn't any opportunity for wind to push in there. We're riding with Pin-Lock shields and using the drop-down visor internally. Windshield is a 9" Long Ride Ultra Elite.
I'll second your description of the J-Cruise helmet. Very quiet. However, I will sometime swear earplugs as my Cobra pipes can get a little loud on longer trips.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:39 PM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

The Bells and Biltwells are quieter, they are smaller and are smooth on outside. I have a scorpion with vents and internal visor, very noisy. I have Bell 500 3/4 and even better is my Biltwell Gringo that I wear with no visor. Feels like open face, but with chin protection.

Quick Reply: Thought this Helmet Would Help. WOW. What am I doing Wrong?