General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to change the wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018 | 10:30 PM
bradleys
|
Tourer
Default Time to change the wheel bearings

Well, the tires on the Road King were worn out so I decided to pull them and have some new rubber mounted on them. While I was at it, I decided the wheel bearings needed to go as well. Since I am always looking for a reason to buy new tools I picked up a bearing removal tool from Amazon.

it worked great and you no longer have to be a linebacker to back up the damn bike!

it really was time, and an easy little project with the right tool...

Amazon Amazon

Old 05-07-2018 | 09:10 AM
Labrador
Road Master

Did you buy OEM bearings or aftermarket?

Old 05-07-2018 | 10:27 AM
bradleys
|
Tourer

I checked Harley, but they were $30 per bearing...

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/202...el-bearing-kit

Last edited by bradleys; 05-07-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-07-2018 | 10:44 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

It’s 2018, and Harley can’t install a wheel bearing that lasts? On my ‘94, one set of wheel bearings lasted 128,000 miles. The other set was still in service when I retired the hub at 200,000 miles (I built new wheels).

Sure, you had to pack them at every tire change, but if you did that the old Timken bearings lasted forever.

And Harley wonders why sales are declining.

Old 05-07-2018 | 11:47 AM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

That's my next tool purchase..... lost front wheel bearing last September at 30,000 miles. I figure i'll be changing bearings at least every other tire change.... and a thorough inspect at each tire change or anytime the wheels are off. I would love some repackable roller bearings.... I've packed many a front wheel bearing in my life..... These ball bearings just aren't as stout.

Old 05-07-2018 | 12:35 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

I have 33,000+ miles on my '13 CVO Ultra and I'm hoping to make it to 40,000 (or so) miles and if so I'll have all of my bearings replaced when I have new tires installed.
I've owned bikes since '69 and I have NEVER had to replace a single wheel bearing (something is seriously wrong here)!
However, I said the same thing about voltage regulators and I had to have mine replaced at 25,000 miles while on a trip through Ohio in '16!.
(I think I may have been on the tail end of a bad batch of regulators from the '12 model year).

Old 05-07-2018 | 01:00 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Spartanden
That's my next tool purchase..... lost front wheel bearing last September at 30,000 miles. I figure i'll be changing bearings at least every other tire change.... and a thorough inspect at each tire change or anytime the wheels are off. I would love some repackable roller bearings.... I've packed many a front wheel bearing in my life..... These ball bearings just aren't as stout.
No they're not. I've seen them. They have what, nine 1/4" steel ***** in each bearing? That's the same size and number of ball bearings in the rear wheel of my Schwinn road bicycle. And the MoCo thinks that's adequate for a 900 pound motorcycle?

Old 05-07-2018 | 01:25 PM
bradleys
|
Tourer

First- The bike is a 2004 with 50,000 Miles, I just felt it was good maintenance to replace them. I have a big ride planned this year and i want the bike in tip top shape before the run.

Second - these are sealed bearings and they cannot be repacked or greased.

It would have cost about $150 per wheel to have the dealership change them - I picked up the tool for $75 and with the bearings did both wheels for less the the cost of one...

I do most of my own work and will certainly use the tool again for another scooter or two.

Old 05-07-2018 | 01:37 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bradleys
First- The bike is a 2004 with 50,000 Miles, I just felt it was good maintenance to replace them. I have a big ride planned this year and i want the bike in tip top shape before the run.

Second - these are sealed bearings and they cannot be repacked or greased.

It would have cost about $150 per wheel to have the dealership change them - I picked up the tool for $75 and with the bearings did both wheels for less the the cost of one...

I do most of my own work and will certainly use the tool again for another scooter or two.

FYI you can pull the grease seals of carefully with a small flat tip screwdriver, and then you can check for adequate and sufficient grease. Very often there is very little grease in them, just saying.

Old 05-07-2018 | 01:44 PM
bradleys
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
FYI you can pull the grease seals of carefully with a small flat tip screwdriver, and then you can check for adequate and sufficient grease. Very often there is very little grease in them, just saying.
I would not recommend trying to do maintenance on a sealed bearing, they just are not that expensive, and failure can leave you stranded... If you feel they need to be replaced it would be much better to purchase a new set and install them.

Personally, I have never tried to pull the side seal off a sealed bearing and would never really consider it.

But franky, I wouldn’t repack auto wheel bearings either. If it comes out, it is getting replaced.

Last edited by bradleys; 05-07-2018 at 05:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Time to change the wheel bearings