Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NC helmet law penalty..

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 10:17 AM
ultraultra
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: NC helmet law penalty..

ORIGINAL: FLHTinILM

one small edit ..........

delete the words "safety helmets of a type approve by the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles"

Thanks FLHT. I had it correct in WORD, but when I copied it into HDF, it looses the strike through. I changed the text to blue, and added a note. Hope that clarify's it.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:25 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, this sounds like a real bag o' worms down there. And very "subjective" to the LEO's attitude/discretion. Thank you, ABATE, for stepping up to the plate, one more time.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:39 AM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: csbreeze

I posted earlier what a Trooper told me on another thread. Helmet must have DOT sicker or under enamuel on the back, on the inside it must have (model, manufacter, DOT and FS what ever 218, size), and must have 1 inch of foam around your head. I do not know the penalty. All the above requirements good luck on finding one with the inside the helmet information. Also the trooper said the law could be interpretated differently by another police officer. So in short its poorly written. Great JOB Governer Easley.
I think that Trooper lied to you.

I have two Shoei helmets that are DOT and neither have a DOT sticker on them under the enamel. Mine were removed from the helmets they day I got them.

As for the 1" of foam thing... I am going to call shenanigans on that as well. Aren't the DOT helmet from CarbonFiberHelmet.com less than 1"?

And I don't think my Shoei has anything on the inside specifying it is a DOT either... I will look when I get home, but who knows. If I got a ticket while wearing one of my helmet I would fight it tooth and nail. All mine are legal and I don't think any of them fit the qualifications that you were given.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:45 AM
FLHTinILM
Advanced

Law Enforcement tell a lie? You gotta be kidding! Say it's not so.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:48 AM
ultraultra
Road Warrior

The bottom line is that there re going to be a lot of bikers wasting vacation days in court fighting a ticket, instead of working at their jobs and boosting the economy. Maybe we can get Bush to help us fight this. It's a blantant attack by terrorists on our state economy, which affects our national economy...

Old 01-31-2008, 12:01 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For those who care, you can always buy a can of clearcoat spray and spray the DOT sticker.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 01-31-2008, 12:42 PM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

the NHSTB says there is no requirement for a sticker to be on a helmet after the point of sale. same as the "do not remove" label on a mattress. it's to inform the buyer that the helmet is approved not to show LEOs it's approved. one court decision will clear up NC if you can ever get one into court. most states won't hear a helmet case as they don't want to set precident.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:28 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: went_postal

I posted earlier what a Trooper told me on another thread. Helmet must have DOT sicker or under enamuel on the back, on the inside it must have (model, manufacter, DOT and FS what ever 218, size), and must have 1 inch of foam around your head. I do not know the penalty. All the above requirements good luck on finding one with the inside the helmet information. Also the trooper said the law could be interpretated differently by another police officer. So in short its poorly written. Great JOB Governer Easley.
I think that Trooper lied to you.

I have two Shoei helmets that are DOT and neither have a DOT sticker on them under the enamel. Mine were removed from the helmets they day I got them.

As for the 1" of foam thing... I am going to call shenanigans on that as well. Aren't the DOT helmet from CarbonFiberHelmet.com less than 1"?

And I don't think my Shoei has anything on the inside specifying it is a DOT either... I will look when I get home, but who knows. If I got a ticket while wearing one of my helmet I would fight it tooth and nail. All mine are legal and I don't think any of them fit the qualifications that you were given.
Far as the Trooper telling a lie then it must be a conspiracy because the Sheriff told the local HD the same thing. You did pin point the flaws though. Those flows is going to create a problem for the police and biker a like. Also check out the pamplet on NC DMV sight. It will tell you what I stated earlier and more. NC is trying to make the Fed Coder stricter. Yes ACC helmets at this time is consideredillegal in NC due to the sorry way they are impletmenting this law. I have bought another NC legal helmet but I may ride my ACCon my head and the new NC legal helmet in my bag. I LOVE MY ACC HELMET :-).

Old 01-31-2008, 02:25 PM
ultraultra
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: huffhuff

the NHSTB says there is no requirement for a sticker to be on a helmet after the point of sale. same as the "do not remove" label on a mattress. it's to inform the buyer that the helmet is approved not to show LEOs it's approved. one court decision will clear up NC if you can ever get one into court. most states won't hear a helmet case as they don't want to set precident.
That is my "belief" as well. I removed my DOT sticker a LONG time ago. I'll have to check FMVSS 218 and documents from NHSTB. They need to reference each other for it to be effective.
The company I work for came out with a great benefit last year. For $15 a month, I get "FREE" legal service. They already represented me in a speeding ticket... NO CHARGE. I'll use them to take it as far as I can.. if it happens before someone else fights them.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:35 PM
ultraultra
Road Warrior

Far as the Trooper telling a lie then it must be a conspiracy because the Sheriff told the local HD the same thing. You did pin point the flaws though. Those flows is going to create a problem for the police and biker a like. Also check out the pamplet on NC DMV sight. It will tell you what I stated earlier and more.
You are correct.. it IS a conspiracy. They are not enforing the LAW... they are enforcing THEIR SPIN on the law... or what they were told by others, or their superiors. The bad news... that is now what they believe and their perception is "it must be true because they told us so". Dam lemmings! I see a LOT of arguments on the side of the road coming up. Probably a butt whoopin' as well. This ain't gonna be pretty until someone in the legislature fixes it.

Quick Reply: NC helmet law penalty..