General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

more bikes then time to ride...long post

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 10:21 PM
motorups
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default more bikes then time to ride...long post

Ok, like many I figure you have gone through a few/many bikes over the years. Tried different sizes/models. Learned long ago (at least I thought I did) that once you have a good ride it can be better to keep her then let her go and later tell yourself that it was/should have beena 'keeper' (but you sold it dumb ***...).

So here is my fix -
I have a 07 road king (not even broke in with only 1k on it) that I picked up at end of bike week on a Sunday, a bmw r1200clc 2004 model that I picked up at bike octoberfest...on a Sunday (left over blow out sell on 40 left in the factor collecting dust and was bmws attempt at a ultra glide classic with a bmw engine...you would have to be a bmw rider to appreicate it I think though not sure if that would even help since it is a 'love the look or it sucks' sort of bike), and of course my 04 goldwing gl1800 (sorry but it is a frigging learjet if you ask me and to hell with the fact that it has rubbermaid looking bags and truck). I'm a toss the junk in the bike and go type of guy...function over form mostly.

Last, $60/month for each bike for insurance sort of sucks big time in my book. It's not like I can ride more then one at a time you know. So I figure I will work on tossing on the heat sheilds on the hd tomorrow then take her for my planned ride on sunday. Brother should be down on his softtail tomorrow as well so will take the beemer out for a bit probably.

Looking to wait for the hd show early july to find out if all is the same mostly or they pull out a water cooled touring model (won't hold my breath on that but ever know). BMW has their new rides out...august/sept but not figuring on any chance of a batwing remake of the r1200cl model (this time with acutal power and a front end that does not handle like a darn elephant at walking speed). Honda's 08 wing is more of the same (nav, air big...ok stop laughing...well laugh I guess).

So need to make a call (maybe) and let one go or decide for sure to keep them all. The wing is a keeper so need to figure out if I will be happy with the other two. My first ride was a bmw (maybe like ones first girl) hard to get it out of your system and thus you always have a soft spot for it. Just not sure this is the right beemer for me but should know before November.

Not really looking for answers but if you have input or been in the same boat (but with different bikes then post away).
If I had to sum it up it would be this way (in no set order):

1. Goldwing gl1800 - a take anywhere that has roads (not gravel) bike that does it all (save for having the killer biker look and catching babes eyes...that and it doesn't make you feel like it has a sole unlike a harley)....more 'it is a accord on two wheels but just the same one bad *** bike performance wise I think.

2. BMW r1200clc - like my hd...needs a fuel chip before it will begin to perform I think...seems to run darn learn (and is fuel injected) but there is something cool about a batwing fairing (protection but ability to see the road in front just below the bottom of the fairing...helps to make you feel part of the road seeing a bit of the front forks I feel).

3. harley - riding with my brother on his 97 softtail and me on the rd...better then being on either of my other bikes...pulling away from him at well...priceless !
I'm ok with the bike stock save for the heat I'm getting off the engine (sheilds should help) but still not happy to have to spend $$$ to fix the issue (yes I know...have not hear that one for the last 30 seconds right).

Owe 11k on the hd but others are paid off...well let me say that another way...owe 11k on the hd and more money on credit then I care to post on this forum site.

Time will tell I guess.
enjoy the ride

Old 06-22-2007, 10:54 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

Received 24,080 Likes on 5,309 Posts
Default RE: more bikes then time to ride...long post

Trouble with posts like yours is that there's no rational response to be made, because the decision itself isn't rational. It's a gut decision, and can only be made based on your gut, not someone else's.

That said, I was in a similar spot with a BMW 1150RT and my Heritage Softail Classic. Based on my personal gut feeling, I sold the (to me) soul-less BMW, and have never regretted it for a split-second.

Your R1200CLC was the Edsel of BMW's line--it just wasn't the business they're in, and they stopped making them. For good reason. Nothing sillier, in my opinion, than slapping a batwing fairing on anything whose name doesn't end in the word "Glide." The Honda is a great bike for long-range touring, and many board members would agree with that. Your Road King is a jack-of-all-trades. It does everything well, and is a bike for all seasons.

If I were in your place, I would sell the BMW (though you'll get next to nothing for it) and apply the proceeds toward your debt on the Harley. If you can afford to keep the Wing, fine; but if not, I'd sell it, too and apply the proceeds as mentioned. In any case, if you regret selling the Wing later, you can always pick up another one fairly cheaply.

As to the heat question on the RK, do yourself a favor and solve the heat problem and boost performance at the same time by going with a basic Stage 1. Nothing very expensive, nothing exotic, but you will be more comfortable.

My take, which is worth exactly nothing, as I said at the beginning of my post. I just felt like typing

Philip

Old 06-22-2007, 11:17 PM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dump the bike(s) you like least and be happy.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:28 PM
YUCK
Road Warrior

Give me the Wing....so I can go to Alaska....

Old 06-22-2007, 11:38 PM
jethro001
Tourer

Your delima in reverse, I have an 07 RKC and I want to buy a Nightrod but just cannot bring myself to pull the trigger....how many bikes can you ride at one time. The dealer owns an Ultra and a Vrod and told me I could take a ride on his rod...clever boy.............eh!

Old 06-23-2007, 08:10 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I've seen so many people on these boards owning mutiple bikes. And some own multiple of the same type like an Ultra and Street Glide. I don't get it. Personally I am happy with one. After the Glide is paid off I do plan to by a Street Bob just for local and short rides. The Glide will be kept for the longer rides and touring. To own a multitude of bikes of the same flavor when you can only ride one at a time is just silly. But that is just me.

Keep the one you enjoy riding the most and sell the other two. Pretty simple. Don't keep the Road King just because it is a Harley. If you enjoy the BMW more than keep it. It's a call only you can make.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:54 AM
motorups
Advanced

Your R1200CLC was the Edsel of BMW's line--it just wasn't the business they're in, and they stopped making them. For good reason. Nothing sillier, in my opinion, than slapping a batwing fairing on anything whose name doesn't end in the word "Glide."
Agreed but someone in life has to love an Edsel...guess this time it was just me. Anyone knowing bmws (yes I realzie this is not a hd thread thought process here) understands that the closest bmw ever came to a low rider cruiser bike layout (before they even invented the bikes we call crusiers) was a old /2 (pre 1970) model line with earls front front end (does the same thing that a hd springer front end does I believe). Thus my 'Edsel' gives a 'fix' for the old days. As stated a 'bmw ultra glide classic' but you have to be a bmw rider (or /2 owner) maybe to look at from that point of view.

Your R1200CLC was the Edsel of BMW's line--it just wasn't the business they're in, and they stopped making them. For good reason. Nothing sillier, in my opinion, than slapping a batwing fairing on anything whose name doesn't end in the word "Glide."
So one more time for the new guy that is late heading out the door to play tennis (guess you can see which I feel is more important)...
a 'simple/inexpensive' Stage 1 would be what again (guessing a different air cleaner & filter?). If so quick suggestion on what I can walk into the hd shop and buy plus install easly...else purchase online and install myself. Not looking to replace exhaust (well may true duals at some time)...know I'm not doing a fuel chip this year (too darn broke).

That said, I was in a similar spot with a BMW 1150RT and my Heritage Softail Classic. Based on my personal gut feeling, I sold the (to me) soul-less BMW, and have never regretted it for a split-second.
Agree the 1150rt look is soul-less but feel the r1200clc is spot on (well the four headlights in the fairing are darn weird but functional as all get out).

Your Road King is a jack-of-all-trades. It does everything well, and is a bike for all seasons.
Agreed, that is why I got it instead of the classic or ultra glide classic. Did not wish to give up the wing for touring long distance (as if I ever really take enough time off from the office). Actual, save for the bmw (since it has the fairing, bags, and truck) each of the three bikes is very different I feel. The look and engine of the hd speaks for itself, the wing a touring monster (of the good type) and last the bmw...an odd duck that is not a striped down bike (which the hd can be without windshield more/less) but I like the look and the gauges cluster is kick *** (nice chrome and very pretty I feel...will toss a pix of it on the this thread later...don't everyone sit by their comptuers waiting on a bmw pix lol).

ride them if you got them.
later

Old 06-23-2007, 10:08 AM
BikerSingle.com
Banned

hi