General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS > non-ABS

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 07:33 PM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,954 Likes on 5,918 Posts

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
There are valid concerns and then there are worry warts of the OCD variety. Worrying that your brakes are going to quit on you on a fully functional bike that has shown no issues falls into the latter category IMO. If you think your braking system is defective take it into HD for service. If it isn't defective but you just go in and say you read online the ABS system might just fail and you will crash and you want it ripped off the bike, they are going to look at you funny and have a WTF moment.

Personally, I have had no issue on three bikes with ABS. The SuperGlide and my former Limtied which I just sold for a Road King last year. I road the first two to sturgis twice, florida, montana, NY, az...rode in hurricane rain nonstop from Flordia to Ohio two years ago on the limited. My heated grips went out and water got into one of the lighting units and fried a bulb. But the ABS and brakes worked like a charm. I never even think about it. The bike is maintained, it runs fine, have had no issue of any kind with the brakes and have 62,000 miles on the Limited in three years and 30,000 on the superglide. Just hit 5K on the road king and have had no issues either.

I don't have a problem with the brakes per se. If mine stop working when I need them, well, I don't have any control over that and I'll either stop or I won't. However a forum member suggested he'd like to remove his ABS system to ensure that didn't happen to him and the third reich dogpiled his *** for it. You don't have control over every single aspect of your life. You handle what you can and roll with the rest, but if it's not your bike, why are you even worried? By "you" I mean the third reich, not you specifically.

The following 2 users liked this post by Redoilokie:
c4mac (05-20-2018), Campy Roadie (05-20-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 09:39 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,773 Likes on 984 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaRunner
There is the small matter that you can't flush the system yourself. You need to activate the pump through the ECM to get it flushed.

Dealer wants $180 to do it.
This is actually not true. I needed to do a brake fluid flush. In reading about this for HDs, I read several posts saying you could do it yourself by bleeding the brakes, then taking a quick spin and engaging the ABS, then bleeding again. The idea here is by engaging ABS, you allow any fluid in the module to be flushed out. However, it turns out there is no fluid "trapped" in the module. When you do a conventional brake bleed, all fluid is pushed through the module, you can do a 100% fluid change.

So I bled my brakes, then went down the street and engaged ABS a couple times. Went back in the garage and bled again - nothing but clear pure DOT 4 coming out. No evidence at all of any old fluid was still in there. I had this confirmed by a former HD tech, who says HD would prefer you to think you need to go to the dealer for a flush, but you don't.

Having said all that - if you get air in the ABS module, then you ARE going to have to go to the dealer, and they have to use the "Digital Technician II" to get the air out.

I like that my bike has ABS. I'll like it more if it doesn't malfunction. I plan to change the DOT 4 every 2 years as recommended. Or sooner if I feel inclined. It's $5 of fluid and about an hour of work.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:12 AM
BobRR
Road Master
Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts

Theoretically, failure of ABS should not affect normal breaking.

If you read the CDL handbook (Commerical Drivers License Handbook) it says in there about 100 times (exaggerating) that ABS only prevents the wheels from locking up, it does not affect normal breaking, if the ABS fails you still have normal breaking. Obviously, this is written for commercial vehicles, but I assume it is true for all ABS, even when on a motorcycle.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:16 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

In this video an ABS module (from a car) is disassembled, and you can see how the valves work. I have to think it's very similar to a moto unit. I'm not seeing how a valve failure, open or closed, would prevent normal braking. Not saying it can't happen, but I don't see how.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:51 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarfish
In this video an ABS module (from a car) is disassembled, and you can see how the valves work. I have to think it's very similar to a moto unit. I'm not seeing how a valve failure, open or closed, would prevent normal braking. Not saying it can't happen, but I don't see how.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKi5O3ZlSu4
Wait, what.....
So your rationalizing that because on big rig ABS systems, the units fail SAFE like they are supposed to that it can't happen to a Harley??? You know harley issued a free flush already and there has been numerous threads on this forum about exactly this. OF COURSE they should NEVER lock out the brakes when they fail. That's absolute stupidity on the MOCOS behalf. BUt sir, that is exactly what is occurring and why its such a big deal.

Originally Posted by BobRR

If you read the CDL handbook (Commerical Drivers License Handbook) it says in there about 100 times (exaggerating) that ABS only prevents the wheels from locking up, it does not affect normal breaking, if the ABS fails you still have normal breaking. Obviously, this is written for commercial vehicles, but I assume it is true for all ABS, even when on a motorcycle.
"Theoretically" means nothing in the real world because that's precisely what IS happening. Both you guys seem extremely computer savy. Maybe instead of researching 18 wheeler ABS and trying to apply common sense and logic to it, search a little and see what's happening to the HARLEY-DAVIDSON ABS units. Because its pretty clear that should the owner fail to properly maintain the system with semi annual flushing, the possibility of ABS failure becomes a very real possibility. And that's extremely poor engineering without the slightest concern for completely foreseeable owner neglect. But that's just me.
Carry on.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 05-20-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:09 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Wait, what.....
So your rationalizing that ...it can't happen to a Harley???
Originally Posted by guitarfish
Not saying it can't happen, but I don't see how.
As I said.

Old 05-20-2018, 10:11 AM
Durango Dave
Road Captain
Received 508 Likes on 152 Posts

The fact of the matter is that even Harley Davidson did not expect these ABS units to fail in such a way as to have brakes go out. Normally when an ABS module goes out the brakes still work but may lock up. This is an uncommon situation but it's what HD modules are experiencing.

Last edited by Durango Dave; 05-20-2018 at 10:13 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Durango Dave:
04ctd (05-20-2018), c4mac (05-20-2018), Redoilokie (05-21-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 07:29 PM
c4mac
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by leicafish

I have never heard of that nor does it seem logical, if ABS fails it defaults to regular brakes.
Speaking from my own personal experience, that is NOT true. I lost my front brakes completely, brake lever locks and you can no longer squeeze it to use your front brakes. The port inside the hydraulic control unit of the ABS module gets stuck closed and it prevents your master cylinder from applying pressure to the calipers. I just deleted the front ABS on my bike and did a quick how to with pictures, if you take a look at that post you will get a better understanding of how this happens. Your front brake lever pressurizes a brake line that runs to the ABS module under your seat, then after it passes through that module it leaves through another brake line back up front to your calipers. When the port sticks closed in the ABS module your brake lines are prevented from applying pressure to your calipers. This isn't a big deal necessarily for your rear brakes, but your front brakes are the majority of your braking. With the linked system they started to use in 2014 this problem should be in the rearview but for 2008-2013 models you are rolling the dice. I had dealership service done on my bike the first three years, I haven't personally changed the fluid in mine since I started doing my own maintenance so my fluid was three years old. 3 year old brake fluid should never cause this kind of catastrophic failure. Like I said earlier, if people like their ABS and want to keep it great please do so, but to suggest that people who have had these failures are somehow culpable or irrational for wanting to remove this system is just ignorant.
ABS delete how to post

Originally Posted by BobRR

Commercial vehicles use air brakes, it's a completely different system. Also commercial ABS is garbage, but when it fails you just get an annoying light no loss of brakes. ABS is great to have in a tractor trailer though, empty trailers can get squirrely when you have to hit the hooks hard.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-20-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:53 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

Has HD made changes to the ABS module on newer years, so they won't lockup on failure?

Old 05-20-2018, 08:04 PM
c4mac
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

2014 and up are a different system. Time will tell if it's better than this one but on the surface the engineering is better. They link the front and rear brakes, so if you apply front brakes it also applies partial rear brakes like a proportioning valve in a car. Same if you apply the rear brakes I believe it also applies pressure to one front caliper. I have to see the hydraulic schematic for it before I would say it's good or bad, and how the ABS module functions.

Quick Reply: ABS > non-ABS