General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS > non-ABS

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 12:30 PM
martinj
Club Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 17,250 Likes on 6,841 Posts

Originally Posted by strych9
It's just like any other vehicle you drive. It breaks, you fix it or pay to have it fixed. Can't afford it? Don't own it.
Aaaaand, you're totally missing the point. If it fails in the manner discussed-- whether due to improper maintenance or not-- you're without brakes. Your statement "It breaks, you fix it or pay to have it fixed" is moot if you and your bike are laying in the weeds.

The following 2 users liked this post by martinj:
c4mac (05-20-2018), Redoilokie (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 12:35 PM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,954 Likes on 5,918 Posts

This isn't a discussion about cost as far as I'm concerned, it's about safety. I don't know where you're coming from with the whole "If you can't afford it..." bullshit over and over. It's about a malfunctioning ABS system that malfunctions in such a way that not only is ABS unavailable, but so is normal braking function.

The following 2 users liked this post by Redoilokie:
c4mac (05-20-2018), martinj (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 12:53 PM
Joe from So Cal
Tourer
Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Redoilokie
The fact that HD ABS defaults to brake system failure rather than ABS failure makes HD ABS a big problem.
Obviously. The ABS fails for whatever reason, and the brakes disappear, wtf?

The following users liked this post:
c4mac (05-20-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 02:32 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by strych9
If HD ABS fails due to the malfunction of ABS components, be it electronic or mechanical, the system still allows you to brake the same as a bike without ABS.
I'm not sure your really paying attention here.
If the ABS system fails on a Harley Davidson, the exact opposite happens. The system DOES NOT ALLOW YOU TO BRAKE the same as a bike without ABS. The brake NO LONGER FUNCTIONS! It doesn't fail safe like a car, you loose that brake entirely.

c4mac (05-20-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 02:49 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
If the ABS system fails on a Harley Davidson, the exact opposite happens. The system DOES NOT ALLOW YOU TO BRAKE the same as a bike without ABS. The brake NO LONGER FUNCTIONS! It doesn't fail safe like a car, you loose that brake entirely.
Are you saying you lose both front and rear brakes? Simultaneously? I’ve never heard that before. I’ve heard people talk about one or the other but not both. I’m guessing that would only apply to Rushmore and newer bikes with linked brakes?

Old 05-18-2018, 02:57 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by UUNetBill

Are you saying you lose both front and rear brakes? Simultaneously? I’ve never heard that before. I’ve heard people talk about one or the other but not both. I’m guessing that would only apply to Rushmore and newer bikes with linked brakes?
Nope, never even implied that. I was very careful to use the word brake, as in one brake, not brakes, as in the system.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:04 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
I have never heard of that nor does it seem logical, if ABS fails it defaults to regular brakes. I you talking some that not related to the ABS module like a line that is different.

Originally Posted by Redoilokie
This isn't a discussion about cost as far as I'm concerned, it's about safety. I don't know where you're coming from with the whole "If you can't afford it..." bullshit over and over. It's about a malfunctioning ABS system that malfunctions in such a way that not only is ABS unavailable, but so is normal braking function.
I think this thread has degraded, the original question was about dis-enabling a functioning ABS system. The OP question was that sound or logical? Based on tales that braking with ABS is better.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-20-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:12 PM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,954 Likes on 5,918 Posts

Originally Posted by leicafish
I have never heard of that nor does it seem logical, if ABS fails it defaults to regular brakes. I you talking some that not related to the ABS module like a line that is different.
https://www.consumerreports.org/reca...ll-brakes-abs/

The problem: Deposits may form on components within the brake system if the DOT 4 brake fluid is not replaced for a prolonged period of time beyond the two-year maintenance schedule specified in the owner’s manual. These deposits may cause a valve within the ABS hydraulic control unit to stick, reducing braking ability and increasing the risk of a crash.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:18 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by leicafish
Yeah........
that's the whole point!!!
That's exactly what SHOULD HAPPEN, and exactly what doesn't! When the ABS module sticks (or fails), that brake completely looses the ability to function. That's the whole reason people are bitchen. If it failed safe.... It would just annoy people, not try to kill them. It should never happen that way..... EVER!
completely ilogical.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 05-18-2018 at 03:49 PM.
c4mac (05-20-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 04:21 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,843 Likes on 2,296 Posts

There are valid concerns and then there are worry warts of the OCD variety. Worrying that your brakes are going to quit on you on a fully functional bike that has shown no issues falls into the latter category IMO. If you think your braking system is defective take it into HD for service. If it isn't defective but you just go in and say you read online the ABS system might just fail and you will crash and you want it ripped off the bike, they are going to look at you funny and have a WTF moment.

Personally, I have had no issue on three bikes with ABS. The SuperGlide and my former Limtied which I just sold for a Road King last year. I road the first two to sturgis twice, florida, montana, NY, az...rode in hurricane rain nonstop from Flordia to Ohio two years ago on the limited. My heated grips went out and water got into one of the lighting units and fried a bulb. But the ABS and brakes worked like a charm. I never even think about it. The bike is maintained, it runs fine, have had no issue of any kind with the brakes and have 62,000 miles on the Limited in three years and 30,000 on the superglide. Just hit 5K on the road king and have had no issues either.

Last edited by MiniWolf; 05-18-2018 at 04:26 PM.

Quick Reply: ABS > non-ABS