General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS > non-ABS

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 09:09 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,954 Likes on 5,918 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaRunner
There is the small matter that you can't flush the system yourself. You need to activate the pump through the ECM to get it flushed.

Dealer wants $180 to do it.
You would think since that's required maintenance, and safety related as well, it would somehow fall under the Moss Magnunson Act. I can't see specifically where it is, but there's an argument to be made.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:16 AM
Robb Liupo
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default I will remove my ABS system

Right after I remove my airbags and seatbelts on my wife's car.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:26 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member

So many people convinced they know what's best for everyone else. Surely you have better things to do. I hear Africa still needs saving.

The following 2 users liked this post by Redoilokie:
c4mac (05-20-2018), Campy Roadie (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 09:31 AM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

someone offered that folks on this forum don't wrench on their own bikes, and don't know about the mechanical failures, and that's why you get these comments on HDF.

he listed forums for actually working on bikes here:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...wrenching.html

ABS failure is a HUGE deal when you start researching

The following users liked this post:
c4mac (05-20-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 09:33 AM
TeaRunner
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Redoilokie
You would think since that's required maintenance, and safety related as well, it would somehow fall under the Moss Magnunson Act. I can't see specifically where it is, but there's an argument to be made.
Don't know about that.

I had read it somewhere and when I took the Lo to see about tires I asked the service guy about it and he said it was true. I figured I'd have them do while it was getting tires then research an aftermarket solution for the next time. I know V&H's app will let you activate some ECM toggles like the EITMS, surely someone has a maintenance app that will let you do the ABS.

As for ABS in general,

I wrecked my Lo on the way back to work from the dealer. Guy turned left in front of me. I had a death grip on the front brakes and mashed the rear for all I was worth. Bike tracked straight, I never once felt like I was coming out of the seat. It allowed me to hit the guy exactly how I wanted to hit. A few more feet and I would have been stopped. Anyway, looks like the ABS was destroyed in the accident. Both wheels were completely seized.

Last edited by TeaRunner; 05-18-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:44 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,890 Likes on 3,702 Posts

This thread is a hoot. Dudes condemning ABS because of failures that happened because owners didn't properly maintain their bikes. Mmmm-kay.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:45 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by strych9
This thread is a hoot. Dudes condemning ABS because of failures that happened because owners didn't properly maintain their bikes. Mmmm-kay.
The fact that HD ABS defaults to brake system failure rather than ABS failure makes HD ABS a big problem.

The following 3 users liked this post by Redoilokie:
c4mac (05-20-2018), Campy Roadie (05-18-2018), Robb Liupo (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 11:01 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Redoilokie
The fact that HD ABS defaults to brake system failure rather than ABS failure makes HD ABS a big problem.
This simply isn't true. The total loss of braking or other unexpected braking issue due to lack of maintenance could happen to any vehicle. If HD ABS fails due to the malfunction of ABS components, be it electronic or mechanical, the system still allows you to brake the same as a bike without ABS. The MoCo tells us what we need to do to keep our bikes working properly, and it's our responsibility to see to it that we do. Failing that, it's the owner's fault. It always amazes me how guys will shell out thousands on these bikes and then whine when they are faced with the expense of maintaining them.

Last edited by strych9; 05-18-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:23 PM
martinj
Club Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 17,250 Likes on 6,841 Posts

Originally Posted by strych9
This simply isn't true. The total loss of braking or other unexpected braking issue due to lack of maintenance could happen to any vehicle. If HD ABS fails due to the malfunction of ABS components, be it electronic or mechanical, the system still allows you to brake the same as a bike without ABS. The MoCo tells us what we need to do to keep our bikes working properly, and it's our responsibility to see to it that we do. Failing that, it's the owner's fault. It always amazes me how guys will shell out thousands on these bikes and then whine when they are faced with the expense of maintaining them.
Well, this isn't necessarily true either. There is some indication that the ABS module may fail on occasion even if the system is properly maintained with new fluid. I read somewhere that there is a high probablilty that modules that failed "due to lack of or poor maintanence" may have failed even if they were properly maintained. So pray tell, where does that leave us?

Old 05-18-2018, 12:25 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by martinj
Well, this isn't necessarily true either. There is some indication that the ABS module may fail on occasion even if the system is properly maintained with new fluid. I read somewhere that there is a high probablilty that modules that failed "due to lack of or poor maintanence" may have failed even if they were properly maintained. So pray tell, where does that leave us?
It's just like any other vehicle you drive. It breaks, you fix it or pay to have it fixed. Can't afford it? Don't own it.

Quick Reply: ABS > non-ABS