General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS > non-ABS

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 08:31 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
I wish my bike didn't have ABS. It engages at a super low threshold when the engine is off. It engages it too low of threshold when riding over wet BOTTS dots too. Then factor the bonehead design of "freezing the lever/pedal solid" when there's a defect, and you have NO FRIGGIN' BRAKES. Nope, I wish I didn't have ABS on any of my bikes...
Hummmmm.... Yeah

Last edited by bikerlaw; 04-29-2018 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:06 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
I wish my bike didn't have ABS. It engages at a super low threshold when the engine is off. .
do you often ride your bike down the road with the engine off? seems like a silly thing to do

Old 04-29-2018, 09:15 PM
anthony_b.
Road Captain
Received 170 Likes on 106 Posts

...my biggest concern if I were to be interested in buying an '08-'11 that had ABS, is that how long are the modules and/or the control units going to be available? Someone said on another post there was 13 ABS units available on eBay one day and the next they all disappeared? So the MOCO bought them all up? For the guys that do all their own work on their bikes, how do they repair their own bikes if the parts aren't available? Kinda like you're being forced to take your bike to the dealer for repair. After reading pages of bad dealership experiences, would you want some of these "techs" working on your bike's brakes? Are independent repair places going to be able to get the ABS parts from the MOCO to make repairs?

Last edited by anthony_b.; 04-29-2018 at 09:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Uncle G. (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 09:16 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,742 Likes on 3,105 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
do you often ride your bike down the road with the engine off? seems like a silly thing to do
I'll shut down as I coast onto the driveway. Been doing this for 40+ years. Bad habit to break, I guess. I also have the engine off when I back up to a curb or parking spot. (Usually, with both feet still on the pegs.) I do this just to **** off the motorcops I have breakfast with at a coffee shop in town...

They also don't like when I do a "pirouette" on the kickstand...lol.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:35 PM
Joe from So Cal
Tourer
Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Man, some truly self righteous people here.
One of the selling points for my bike was the ABS. I was very happy to have it. Oh, wait...
4 years latter I come to find that the MOCO's version of ABS is completely sub-standard and God help the poor fool who forgets to flush his system, because he may just become the next crash statistic that is currently plaguing the Mothership. Please, feel free to read about the free brake flush thats being offered, as well as the multiple documented crash reports from locked brake levers and pedals. So yeah, there are quite a few of us that were ONCE excited about ABS on their new bikes, but NOW are actively searching out ways to safely and permanently DELETE it. I'm one.
No ****. I never said I was going to pull it off, and I would pay a dealer if push came to shove. I'm just gathering opinions from some long time Harley owners. There are some very good insights here and a few things that didn't occur to me.

Originally Posted by Joe from So Cal
I have no plans to remove it, and I plan on changing the DOT 4 often. If the unit did go south I'd figure out a way to trailer it to a dealership because my understanding is I can't get the parts to D.I.Y. There seemed to be quite a few anti-ABS people out there and I wanted to hear more opinions.

Honestly, as new and electronically controlled as this thing is I'm hesitant about changing anything from the way Harley designed it.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-18-2018 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:37 AM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,138 Likes on 2,682 Posts

Nope I wouldn't even consider taking it off. There are plenty of bikes for sale that don't have it if you don't want it. Not to mention you shouldn't notice it's there if you're using proper braking technique whenever possible.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:29 PM
JAMES2
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by big papa AZ
Because there are still old dudes that will swear they are better at braking and don't need it. LOL
Old dude with banana calibers = ABS

Old 05-02-2018, 01:42 PM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,954 Likes on 5,918 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
If you want to remove ABS, it will be a DIY procedure. There isn't a mechanic out there willing to expose him or herself to the liability of removing it. And I would reckon a HD dealer would refuse to service a bike so modified. Kind of like asking Ford to remove the airbags and seatbelts from your car.
If you don't want ABS, easier to buy a bike that never had it.
Not quite apples to apples. On a car, if you want to disable ABS or airbags, you simply pull a fuse. Which, by the way, is what many people did when their frame mounted Kelsey Hayes ABS module took a crap because of all the mud, water, and salt they were driven through. We pulled a lot of fuses and never got sued over it.

The following users liked this post:
VDeuce (05-18-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 01:01 PM
Simie
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2016 SGS. I'm liking the ABS with the linked braking system. You can put on the back brake and you can feel the front brake apply a small degree. No lock up just a little added braking. The brakes on my SGS are very good.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Simie

Old 05-17-2018, 05:49 PM
c4mac
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv
I would like to believe that no one is foolish enough to actually remove ABS from their bike.

I will never ride with ABS again, the HD ABS system tried to kill me two weeks ago and it's coming right the hell off my scooter. I've never heard of an ABS system that fails to a no brake condition, if it failed to a no ABS condition that would be reasonable but to fail to a no brakes condition is criminal. You want to know who would remove ABS? People like me who have had it fail in a near fatal manner.

The following 2 users liked this post by c4mac:
Redoilokie (05-18-2018), VDeuce (05-18-2018)

Quick Reply: ABS > non-ABS