General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King or Heritage ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 01:18 PM
L88
Road Captain
Received 299 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
Every person that rides a Road King will claim it is the best. Every person that rides a Heritage will claim it's the best.

The 2018 Heritage redesign is a game changer.

Rent one for the weekend and rent the other for the next weekend.

There is a comparison tool on HD's website to compare specs side by side.
This^^^

I love my Road King.
I know couples with the earlier Heritages do not care for 2 up touring.
From what I hear from the new version it sounds like you need to rent both for a day or so with the type of riding you do.
One dealer near me is encouraging with an afternoon lunch ride on the Heritage. I pass, I don't want to like it right now if it's as good as the salesperson says.

Last edited by L88; 04-21-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:55 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,651 Likes on 2,536 Posts

I rode both at the Daytona demo rides, & the RoadKing won hands down. Heritage felt (& looked) too Jap.

Old 04-21-2018, 04:56 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 566 Likes on 346 Posts

I'm a Heritage guy! If I were in the market for a new bike & I was (got a garage queen 2015 heritage) I would probably go with the Road King - Its a nice bike & my buddy has one, compared to the new heritage I like it better.

I do a lot of extended weekend rides 2 up & even a week once a year & the pre 18 heritages just don't enough storage room! I like the bike & I'm hopeful they get things worked out - But at this time I would go with the King

Old 04-21-2018, 05:10 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27,790 Likes on 6,488 Posts

Originally Posted by LXT
I'm a Heritage guy! If I were in the market for a new bike & I was (got a garage queen 2015 heritage) I would probably go with the Road King - Its a nice bike & my buddy has one, compared to the new heritage I like it better.

I do a lot of extended weekend rides 2 up & even a week once a year & the pre 18 heritages just don't enough storage room! I like the bike & I'm hopeful they get things worked out - But at this time I would go with the King
Then you don't know how to pack....

Old 04-21-2018, 05:35 PM
stevefordking
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes ...just have to try them both it looks ... each will have its own pros and cons ... looking forward to it ... thanks to all for your thoughts ...

Old 04-21-2018, 05:45 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 732 Posts

For being a Jack of all trades... Probably the new Heritage has a slight edge. You won't see many RK's without the bags on. Easily done on the Heritage and it still looks good with them off. Both score the same when it come to removing the windscreen I suppose. You can get different/larger bags via the aftermarket for the Heritage. Both can accommodate a tour pack and various other packing/luggage accessories.

Heritage might have an edge because you can get it with the 114, it has to new snazzy Softail frame/suspension (mono shock rear and Showa Dual Bending Valve (SDBV) fork up front) and it's in the neighborhood of being 100lbs lighter.

In the RK's defense - the RK has slightly better lean angle and it has more chrome.

You can also brighten up the chrome on the Heritage with replacement parts. There is a post somewhere on this forum of a guy that replaced the rocker covers, primary cover, etc. on his black '18 Heritage with chrome pieces. He also put white walls on it. The result looked pretty good (much better than stock in my mind).

Also, don't see many stories - if any - of the new Softail M8's sumping. Additionally, the number of reports of Softail M8's having primary fluid transfer are virtually nil. The RK is a touring model and there have been many reports of the touring model M8's having problems with both issues.

If it was me... right out of the box I'd give the edge to the new Heritage. But I would give them both a good look before deciding.

Edit/update: Came across pictures of the chromed/whitewall '18 Heritage...

Belongs to username "<username>"

More pictures here:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-heritage.html

Last edited by T^2; 04-21-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:02 PM
Navyvette
Tourer
Received 170 Likes on 69 Posts

I had a 114 softtail (not a heritage) and traded for the 107 road king and seat of the pants the road king feels quicker. Not sure why but it feels like it has more power. Maybe it’s the gearing.

My biggest turn off to the heritage is the single disc front. I just don’t like the look. I like the hydraulic clutch feel of the king but the dealer quoted me 1500 to convert my softtail to hydraulic.

They both have cruise which is huge for me, you can get the king without ABS where I don’t think you can get the heritage without.

Old 04-21-2018, 08:35 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 566 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneBone
Then you don't know how to pack....

Ooops my bad, typo in that post, I meant 18's don't have enough storage the pre 18's do for me & I pretty much have the packing down for 2 up touring on the heritage.

Old 04-21-2018, 08:53 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

A previous poster said it right. It's an emotional thing because they are all good. I love a King but the new Heritage 114 is great. Looking at them all side by side I may just follow my emotions and go with a Fat Boy 114. Go with whatever turns you on, OP.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:45 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Agree. Go with the one that gives you a hard on the most. Take a ride on each and whatever one gives you a hard on; buy!

Quick Reply: Road King or Heritage ?