Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would a Harley still be cool if we couldn't put pipes on?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 04:12 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Would a Harley still be cool if we couldn't put pipes on?

ORIGINAL: JohnT

Harley is all about image, so I don't think it would matter. Of the over 273,000 bikes Harley shipped last year in the US alone, how many actually get ridden much beyond the weekend trip to the shop, to a local bike night, or the occasional rally? For many new owners, they are a status symbol, like that fancy ski boat or jet ski that spends most of its life on a trailer next to the garage. As long as the 'bad boy' image retains its appeal, that machine with the Harley logo on the tank will command a premium dollar and there are those who will pay the price, no matter what it sounds like.

I see tons of high mileage HD for sale in the paper, Ebay, etc. I do not disagree with the image these bikes contribute to however. I always got tons os looks on my Boulevard, but never like I get on my Dyna. Completely different. My pipes are moderately loud, and at idle, are just pleasant to hear. I get thumbs up from old ladies, kids, men, well, everyone.

I don't have a problem with folks that buy them for theimage, that's their business. I ride mine everyday, and I also ride it to occasional bike nights. BTW, I put hundreds of hours on my Jetskis and my boats when I had them. I don't really see any of them (bikes, skis or boats) as status symbols, since my "status" then, as it is now, is to work my *** off to have them. if someone wants to "assume" my status because of the tank emnblems on my bike, that is their business. I know who I am, and what these machines mean to me. I would no more assume why others buy them, anymore than I care to have them assume why I bought mine. JMO.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:17 PM
Donald A
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the deep sound of some aftermarket mufflers. My RK is my 5th Harley, and the 1st one with stock mufflers. I will stick with the stock ones, not worth dealing with the man!!!

Old 06-22-2007, 10:40 PM
dan69co
Tourer

If I wanted to ride a bike that sounds like a Honda , I would buy a honda! my .02

Old 06-22-2007, 10:59 PM
FXSTI Guy
Banned

This was one of the main reasons I putmy V&H straightshotson...(that and I wanted better performance)...but even if I HAD to run a stock exhaust I'd still have boughtmy Standard because regardless of how close the clone bikes get, they'll never take the place of the real thing.
ORIGINAL: Dinger

My bike sounded like a VW with the stock exhaust. I couldn't even hear how fast my engine was runningat freeway speed.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:01 PM
madden23
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After 30 years of owning a variety of motorcycles I still get a kick when a nice sounding bike fires up,and
there is something visceral about the sound of a Harley, it hits you in your gut. The feeling for me borders on the profound, there's nothing sweeter than the sound of a Harley. I'd still ride one even it was whisper quiet, but I'd lose that gut impact and part of the fun of owning one. As A kid I loved loved to hear the Harleys rumble past, and was totally transfixed while I watched someone kick start one to life, I couldn't wait to hear it roar. Fast forward a lot, I still love the rumble and 8 bikes later, I like the roar a little more subdued, but still like it to "sound" like a Harley. Peace.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:18 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

According to sources Harley spent a bunch to try & get the "Harley" sound back on stock pipes without having to go to aftermarket pipes. I think they succeeded because my '07 Deuce pipes sound pretty darn good, especially at idle. My damaged hearing from years of playing my stereo so loud don't need loud pipes, besided I like the look of my tapered shotguns-keeping stock pipes for now.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:36 PM
dionne51
Road Captain

Of course they're cool without the aftermarket pipes, they are the best looking bikes on the road. The loud pipes just help focus peoples attention to the beauty of the bikes themselves.

Old 06-23-2007, 01:15 PM
Catching a Breeze
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: madden23

After 30 years of owning a variety of motorcycles I still get a kick when a nice sounding bike fires up,and
there is something visceral about the sound of a Harley, it hits you in your gut. The feeling for me borders on the profound, there's nothing sweeter than the sound of a Harley. I'd still ride one even it was whisper quiet, but I'd lose that gut impact and part of the fun of owning one. As A kid I loved loved to hear the Harleys rumble past, and was totally transfixed while I watched someone kick start one to life, I couldn't wait to hear it roar. Fast forward a lot, I still love the rumble and 8 bikes later, I like the roar a little more subdued, but still like it to "sound" like a Harley. Peace.
Well written madden23. I too feel the same way.

Nothing else sounds like a Harley going down the road. But, I too would still have one even with quiet pipes.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:51 AM
211Chuck
Road Warrior

JohnT;

it looks like you have touched a few nerves with your
post!

The truth does have that effect on some people.. LOL"

I still say your post is the best I've ever seen about
Harley Davidson's..

Old 06-26-2007, 12:24 PM
TXjammer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 211Chuck

JohnT;

it looks like you have touched a few nerves with your
post!

The truth does have that effect on some people.. LOL"

I still say your post is the best I've ever seen about
Harley Davidson's..

I went back and read through this thread again....don't really know why I care that much....but I was at first in disagreement with JohnT, and now I see what he's saying. He said "there will always be someone to pay the price for that status symbol no matter what it sounds like". I TOTALLY agree with that. However, I'm just not one of those people. I ride for the pleasure of riding...I love it dearly, I could care less about status. To me, if you take the sound from a Harley, you have an overpriced bike. I know I may be alone here, but I truly believe that people pay for that sound....it's thier justification for buying Harley instead of Honda or Yamaha.

Quick Reply: Would a Harley still be cool if we couldn't put pipes on?