General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would a Harley still be cool if we couldn't put pipes on?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 01:58 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Would a Harley still be cool if we couldn't put pipes on?

If Harley stays the way it is and has been I'd still stick with Harley. If I have to keep the stock vacuum cleaner pipes on it so be it but I'd be bummed. It would be like having a Bose Stereo with Realistic speakers, it would work but sure wouldn’t sound near as good to me. I like Harley for a lot of reasons and sound is way up there on the list.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:48 PM
ohiomotoxer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pipes do make the bike...........be it a Beezer Zundapp or HD.

As for HD's being cool............yeeeeeears ago, I'm talking 20~30,they (HD's) were cool......nowthat everyone has them I don't think there so cool.
Just like tattoos..............

I see a chick on a HD or a RUB blipping his throttle at a stop lite for the attention................I cringe.

Ooooh well.............flame me, it's Firday

Old 06-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Dinger
Road Master

My bike sounded like a VW with the stock exhaust. I couldn't even hear how fast my engine was runningat freeway speed.

I neverliked the look of stock Softail Exhaust...and It weighs a ton too!

Old 06-22-2007, 02:51 PM
ptabakaru
Advanced

A Harley is cool even if the pipes were made out of soup cans. The Coolness is much deeper than something a trivial as sound.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Ravens35
Cruiser

Nevermind the sound or performance gains with aftermarket exhausts, just look at the fact that HD exhaust look like they were welded in a 5th grade shop class. I don't see this problem with other companies exhaust.

My biggest problem with HD is that alot of the stuff that comesstock on the bike is just garbage and unacceptable for one of the most expensive bikes on the market. The grips, pegs, mirrors, exhaust, etc.. are all junk. I know most of us replace these things, but it would be nice if you could get away without replacing grips. Even the stock seat is pretty much useless for most riders. HD should just sell a frame, tins, and engine, and let the customer choose all the other stuff.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:26 PM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior

With or without pipes, a Harley is a Harley. I still have stock pipes, I may change them, I may not.

I would STILL own a Harley.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:27 PM
TXjammer
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: JohnT

Harley is all about image, so I don't think it would matter. Of the over 273,000 bikes Harley shipped last year in the US alone, how many actually get ridden much beyond the weekend trip to the shop, to a local bike night, or the occasional rally? For many new owners, they are a status symbol, like that fancy ski boat or jet ski that spends most of its life on a trailer next to the garage. As long as the 'bad boy' image retains its appeal, that machine with the Harley logo on the tank will command a premium dollar and there are those who will pay the price, no matter what it sounds like.
What in the world makes you think the "bad boy image" (which is crap BTW), won't go away with the sound of deep rumbling pipes? There is just as many bikes on the road that "look" like Harleys as there is Harleys. Sound from the pipes is the only thing that tells you the difference when they're passing by.....IF and ONLY if you know the difference between the two.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Bluerose

I only changed my pipes so I could fit decent sized saddle bags. Notice...I put nice big muflers back on. I must admit I love the look too....but it had not much to do with sound.

If I had bought a Touring Bike or even a Heratige, I probably would have never changed them.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:54 PM
DocHarley
Outstanding HDF Member

Theres nothing nicer thenthe sound of a loud Harley. That is why there is a patent. :/

Perfect example, my neighbor bought a Royal Star and tried to make is sound like my Road King. What a joke, he sold the bike and bought a Harley, I asked him why, he said the sound man, the sound!!!

Old 06-22-2007, 04:02 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DocHarley

Theres nothing nicer thenthe sound of a loud Harley. That is why there is a patent. :/

Perfect example, my neighbor bought a Royal Star and tried to make is sound like my Road King. What a joke, he sold the bike and bought a Harley, I asked him why, he said the sound man, the sound!!!
There is no such Harley patent. They filed for a trademark but later withdrew the filing. Read this for the real story. And even so, there is no patent or trademark on "loud".

Again, rumble is good. Loud is crap.

Quick Reply: Would a Harley still be cool if we couldn't put pipes on?