General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain sock on my sporty air intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 04:56 AM
micathia
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rain sock on my sporty air intake

hi
Really really newbie/silly question: I just bought a second hand Harley Davidson Iron 883 with stage 1 upgrade. New to cruiser too.

On the bike the air intake looks like this:
http://www.harleyheaven.com.au/for-t...-end-logo.html

It has a filter cover I believe. My question is, can I ride in the rain with this cover? Or I need a rain sock.

I actually bought a rain sock today, but it's not big enough to put on. Is there supposed to be a bigger size rain sock I should buy? or I don't need a rain sock at all if the cover itself can let me ride in the rain? Or.....shall I take the cover off and only use the rain sock? or......I should take the cover off, put the rain sock on, then put cover back on again?

Next week gonna be a raining week in Melbourne Australia, but I need this bike for commute.

thx
Xin

Old 04-14-2018, 05:27 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,144 Likes on 3,668 Posts

Yes you can, you might feel a light gurgle throttle in real heavy down pouring rain if you give it gas but it has to down pour...for most part you should be fine, is the filter element dry or oiled?

Old 04-14-2018, 05:39 AM
micathia
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thx

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Yes you can, you might feel a light gurgle throttle in real heavy down pouring rain if you give it gas but it has to down pour...for most part you should be fine, is the filter element dry or oiled?
thanks for the answer. Really appreciate! You wouldn't believe I was jumping between another two forums and two discussion groups for this question but no answer.

As for the Rain Sock, I already bought one today, but I did not mention the size of it, I only showed picture of my bike to the staff and he gave me this one. It's not big enough. Does that mean I bought a wrong size? or I am supposed to fit the sock inside the filter cover? or it's like "sock or cover but not two at the same time" thing?

many thx.
Xin

Old 04-14-2018, 05:52 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

I would say if it covers most of the holes you should be ok...the mesh kind of makes the water just bounce off ...mine was a round stock looking one and the rain would hit it sideways, if I would really throttle hard, I would bog down because of water getting in the intake but I’m talking a shitload of rain in a frog strangler downpour...

The following users liked this post:
sportglide (04-15-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 06:12 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

IMO...rain socks aren't necessary. They inject high-performance engines w/water to cool induction parts & increase power. Unless you're driving in a full blown monsoon, bike will run fine and, new/old rider wouldn't ride in a downpour anyway...very dangerous conditions. If you get caught in heavy rain, find cover until it passes & then ride on.

sportglide (04-15-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 06:26 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Iceman24
IMO...rain socks aren't necessary. They inject high-performance engines w/water to cool induction parts & increase power. Unless you're driving in a full blown monsoon, bike will run fine and, new/old rider wouldn't ride in a downpour anyway...very dangerous conditions. If you get caught in heavy rain, find cover until it passes & then ride on.
The time when it happened to me was a 8 hour ride in pouring rain to get home...no Dodge it... it was an exception, not a normal thing.

Iceman24 (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 06:48 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
The time when it happened to me was a 8 hour ride in pouring rain to get home...no Dodge it... it was an exception, not a normal thing.
You're a better man/rider than me...I'm too old for that crap. Would've bailed to the 1st hotel room and waited it out. Totally understand tho...gotta get home.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:23 AM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,962 Likes on 1,160 Posts

I agree with the others about the rainsock not being necessary. I have a Big Sucker open filter on my RK with the K&N filter that I keep cleaned and oiled. It has gurgled a time or two in prolonged heavy rain but still no real problems.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:26 AM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Looks like you are getting good advice. Not a stupid question. Agree rain sock not required.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:01 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,174 Likes on 12,044 Posts

Moisture is good for power, riding in the rain increases performance.
Back in the day, water injection was a power adder.

Quick Reply: Rain sock on my sporty air intake