General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Load equalizer question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 01:23 PM
4 inch pistons
Road Master
Received 142 Likes on 82 Posts
Default LED Load equalizer question

My bike is an 01 Softail with a custom rear tail light assembly. It is LED brake light with LED turn signals built into the whole assembly. Very clean looking, but not really as bright as what I like. I should also mention that when the brake is applied the brake light will flash 3 times before going solid and everything in the rear works perfectly.

Here is my question. My front turn signals are standard amber bulbs with a smoked lens. All of the turn signals work fine----so did the previous owner have an equalizer hidden away somewhere? Or should I plan on buying that also when I change everything to LED? Since the brake light flashes, I would think one is there somewhere, but does that not affect the standard incandescent bulbs up front? They work normally.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:28 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 734 Likes on 564 Posts

Are there other rear signals other than the ones in the brake light? If not or there are also other LED signals in the back then there is a load equalizer somewhere. If there are also ambers in the back then there is no load equalizer. If you switch the fronts to LED then I suggest you find the current load equalizer and find out what it is as there are some that can adapt to the load needed (active) and there are some that can not (passive).

Old 04-11-2018, 02:28 PM
4 inch pistons
Road Master

There are 2 different groups of amber LEDs built into the brake light assembly--one right and one left. The brake light itself DOES NOT serve as the turn signals. I will try to post a picture when I get home.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:37 PM
DanRC
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 74 Posts

Must have a load equalizer, check under the seat. It would be plugged in between your main harness connector and rear light connector.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:11 PM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,552 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by DanRC
Must have a load equalizer, check under the seat. It would be plugged in between your main harness connector and rear light connector.
Yepper look under your seat. I think it's a 6pin connector I bet you have a equlizer for the back.

Last edited by Nokkon Wud; 04-11-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:20 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 734 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 inch pistons
There are 2 different groups of amber LEDs built into the brake light assembly--one right and one left. The brake light itself DOES NOT serve as the turn signals. I will try to post a picture when I get home.
I understand. I have the same brake light. I am asking if there are any OTHER turn signals on the back other than those inside the brake light assembly.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:50 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,365 Likes on 2,540 Posts

you may not necessarily have a load equalizer. my 2013 cvo came with led signals in the rear (integrated, brake and turn), and regular incandescents in the front. everything worked fine, until I added custom dynamic signals up front. then I would get some wonky behavior. added a cd signal stabilizer and that set everything back to normal. I also have the cd brake light flasher hooked up.

Old 04-11-2018, 04:33 PM
DanRC
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 74 Posts

2011 and newer Softails came with Can Bus, no need for an equalizer.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:00 PM
4 inch pistons
Road Master

I have traced it and there is NO equalizer to be found. I am thinking one is built into the housing. Anybody else have one of these?

Attached Thumbnails LED Load equalizer question-image.jpg  
Old 04-11-2018, 08:25 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,365 Likes on 2,540 Posts

easy way to find out. do you know anyone who has front leds? if so, borrow them and see if you have any fast flashing going on... if you do, then you don't have a load equalizer.

Quick Reply: LED Load equalizer question