General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ANOTHER HD Oil Temp Dip Stick Failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 11:47 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: ANOTHER HD Oil Temp Dip Stick Failure

I wonder about something...

My bike has the true duals, so that cross-over exhaust pipe from the rear cylinder doesnt pass within inches of the cap/head of the oil dipstick (and the resulting heat that radiates from it). I wonder if that is what makes them not last long?

How many of you with failed digital dipsticks have that crossover exhaustpipe right there? I bet that could be the problem...

Old 06-22-2007, 12:07 PM
99_percenter
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: cubcake1

I bought it on May 27th and yesterday it failed. Just stays on and flashes ERROR and 888 for temp all the time.

Less than 30 days and I have a receipt and the packaging. They should give me another one right?
The stealership will probly just give you another one, since its not been 30 days. Looking at some of the reponses to this thread, and from my own experience with the digital temp / dipstick...... I'd get a store credit and buy another mod.

I got one for my 02 Dyna, but the taller/bulkier cap wouldnt clearmy V/H 2into1. Even if I could getit to clear, like other reponses, it looks WAY to close to the pipe for any kind accuracy or life of product.

The analog ones are superior, but my understanding is.... if your factory dipstick is jointed... then there is NOT an analog one made for it as the jointed part will not show a correct reading to the dial ... Thas why there's only the digital ones.

I've also read in other threads and from stories at the stealerships, that in some area's ... its just like puttin a hundred dollar bill on yer seat and walking away. Keep your old one in yerbag, to avoid a messy ride home.

gn

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
--unknown

Old 06-22-2007, 02:28 PM
ptabakaru
Advanced

Hi,
888 means the thermocouple is open, check that the TC wires aren't broken or the connection is loose, They are solid wires and don't handle vibration well.
If it read ambient temperature this would mean that the TC is shorted.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:29 PM
cubcake1
Tourer

Update, I have gone thru 3 dipsticks in 6 weeks. Dealer refunded my money and will not sell me another one.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:02 PM
YTHOG
Cruiser

I bought one and it didn't work from the beginning. Just kept scrolling ERROR and would not read any temps. I took it back to the dealer and they gave me my money back. I also bought the analog one and it works just fine.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:50 AM
kmm
Road Captain

I think Arizona is on to something with the heat and stock pipes

Old 08-09-2007, 06:10 PM
DocHarley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine failed because the oil seal broke or what ever. I cleaned the oil from the electronic componets and made a new seal. It's worked ever since.

They do suck for sure. POS.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:52 PM
sandjbikes
Stage II

I was talking to the parts mgr at my dealership and he says there is a known problem w/them ie. its a piece of crap. you should try an after market one.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:56 AM
JohnC88
Tourer

There is no after market one for the 07 touring bikes. There is no analog one for the 07 touring bikes. If you want any gage at all for the 07 touring bikes it has to be the digital one. Mine's about two months old and still working. (Fingers crossed)

Old 08-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Fishguy001
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read about all the problems with them and bought one anyway. Worked for about 80 days. The 90 day warranty period was just long enough for me. Parts person at local dealer said they get a lot of them back and gave me my money back - didn't even ask if I wanted another.

Quick Reply: ANOTHER HD Oil Temp Dip Stick Failure