General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hauling bike in truck bed.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 11:20 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by jt metal
So, I see you guys take bags off. I guess that makes sense. One less thing to get in the way.
I leave the bags on as well.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:13 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,138 Likes on 2,682 Posts

Please don't judge my sanity.....

I have an 19' v nose enclosed. @/*?:!&)#!!!! Only gets 8.5mpg pulling trailer. Driving appx. 3000 miles total. Truck will get 15mpg without.

I have to go to Texas, then n.c. then n. IL. Seems like a lot of senseless b.s. to be pulling a trailer.
Didn’t know if you had a hitch or not. I asked because u haul makes a small single one. Your truck is probably wider and definitely taller. Wouldn’t be as much drag. Would be easier if you’re unloading along the way to ride. Plus I’d rather have that weight bouncing around on something made for it. Just a suggestion, ymmv.

I hear you on the mileage, I have a 4 door Silverado. And for the record we’re all nuts!

The following users liked this post:
jt metal (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 04:20 PM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,578 Likes on 679 Posts

I had no problems hauling my SGS in the back of my 2017 RAM with a 6.5' box. Used a Harbor Freight wheel chock in the front and the rear tire rested on the gate. No damage 500 miles each way to Daytona and back. The entire weight of the bike is not on the tailgate. Loaded it at the dealer here and unloaded it at Rossmeyer HD in Daytona. When I left, I saw people loading bikes in the back of trucks at this hill in front of an RV park and did that since it was closer to the house.

Hauling bike in truck bed.-img_1984.jpg

Old 04-07-2018, 04:25 PM
sbarron
Road Master
Received 200 Likes on 143 Posts

A sheet of plywood is awfully cheap insurance.

Old 04-07-2018, 04:32 PM
jt metal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

I've got most everything. I'll jig something up and post pics. I have to give it a try.
The only thing is riding up the tailgate with all that load on the t/gate cables.

Old 04-07-2018, 05:30 PM
67Shuv
Road Master
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 407 Likes on 249 Posts

Measure and make your own cables. I have used suspension limiter straps as well. Bolt them on and never think twice about them.

Ive even seen eye bolts and turnbuckles in place of tailgate cables.

and again, please secure the ramp to the truck somehow. If your front wheel makes it into the truck and you some how need to give it a little throttle to get the back the rest of the way in, you'll spit the ramp right out from under you. A quick and dirty ratchet strap from the ramp (anywhere near the center'ish) down to your hitch (chain hook loops work well) and you avoid an expensive and dangerous situation.

Last edited by 67Shuv; 04-07-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:04 PM
sbarron
Road Master
Received 200 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 67Shuv
Measure and make your own cables. I have used suspension limiter straps as well. Bolt them on and never think twice about them.

Ive even seen eye bolts and turnbuckles in place of tailgate cables.

and again, please secure the ramp to the truck somehow. If your front wheel makes it into the truck and you some how need to give it a little throttle to get the back the rest of the way in, you'll spit the ramp right out from under you. A quick and dirty ratchet strap from the ramp (anywhere near the center'ish) down to your hitch (chain hook loops work well) and you avoid an expensive and dangerous situation.
I had that exact thing happen while loading a riding mower. A few seconds of sheer terror.

Old 04-07-2018, 06:22 PM
jt metal
Road Warrior

Rachet strap built into ramp. Attaches to hitch.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:58 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,748 Likes on 3,108 Posts

1) does the tailgate generally support a 900lb street glide to ramp into bed?
It might. Not something to rely on though. Easy enough to remove/replace when loaded up though.
2) what, if anything do guys use (wheel chock) on front tire of bike? My truck has a plastic bed liner.

Chevy with 6.5' box
Most people use 4 tie downs, or PitBull anchoring hardware. You might need a truck with an 8' box. "Wheel chokes"(sic) aren't really necessary, unless you don't use tie downs.
Might want to "test fit" your bike to see if the front fender edge touches the back of the cab before/during the synching process. Had this happen on my ZX12R when I did track days.

A plastic liner is ok, but sprayed on rubber liners are a lot better for things that you don't want to slide.

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 04-08-2018 at 11:59 AM. Reason: speeling! LOL
Old 05-24-2018, 09:42 AM
jt metal
Road Warrior

Ok, well back to this again. That last trip was 3300miles of towing. So, I backed out and used enclosed. Going to use a piece of 3/4" from front to back. Bolt down wheel chock. And see where it gets me.

How to you guys keep the plywood to stay center?

Quick Reply: Hauling bike in truck bed.