General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hauling bike in truck bed.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 11:03 PM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 33,004 Likes on 12,902 Posts

I'm lucky to have a local spot for such activities

Old 04-06-2018, 12:44 AM
hoakken
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I rent a motorcycle trailer from u haul when needed. They have two options to rent- one being a motorcycle only trailer( pulls well, low enough to load easy) and one more like a utility trailer with tie down points. Costs about $15 a day. Way easier than loading in a truck. I usually tow with my motor home as I’m to old for those ten hours in the saddle days and sleeping on the ground invariably with a rock in the middle of my back!

Old 04-06-2018, 06:23 AM
2goldens
HDF Community Team
Received 315 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by jt metal
Please don't judge my sanity.....

I have an 19' v nose enclosed. @/*?:!&)#!!!! Only gets 8.5mpg pulling trailer. Driving appx. 3000 miles total. Truck will get 15mpg without.

I have to go to Texas, then n.c. then n. IL. Seems like a lot of senseless b.s. to be pulling a trailer.
I know what you mean. But I had to haul 4 bikes on vacation so the trailer was mandatory.
8.5 MPG with 7x18 enclosed, 4 bikes and luggage for 5. 14.5 MPG local driving when I unhooked everything at Daytona.
But if only hauling 1 bike, Uhaul does have a galvanized open trailer for bikes. A friend hauled his TriGlide home with one a couple of years ago. I'm thinking the MPG would be much better than your enclosed.

Last edited by 2goldens; 04-06-2018 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:52 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

This wasn't the question but many times I hear folks say that getting a motorcycle into or out of a pick up is a harrowing experience. I guess you could say that about anything if it isn't done with a little forethought.

I move motorcycles with a pick up truck more often than most. I buy and sell them so I typically have the equipment with me all the time to put one in the bed (cable locked). I don't need a slope, loading dock or anything else. I have an 8' bed and my tailgate is in the shed at the back of my house. I won't ride anything into a pick up bed with the tailgate on it that weighs more than 300 pounds. The bed is half ton, the tailgate cables, not so much. The supports that go around the tailgate latch pin and attach to the tailgate via the handle latch mechanism? Meh......the latch mechanism is usually plastic or pot metal. That really doesn't add any more strength or stability in my book. If you have a bed shorter than 8' and have to have the tailgate on, I guess I'd use them but I'd surely have a plank or something running from front to back to distribute the weight.

What I use:

A set of arched folding ramps from Discount Ramps (I don't remember the model). It's a 3 piece design that is held together with a long rod and a cotter pin (transversely).

Two Ancra tie downs to draw them against the back of the bed using the trailer hitch mount.

A wheel chock that isn't bolted to the truck bed. The one I most use is called an LA Chock but Condors are nice too.

Four Power Tyte ratchet straps with soft attachments.

A thin piece of closed cell foam from a sleeping pad 12" W x 24" L

A tennis ball cut in half.

How I do it:

I put the ramps together and use the Ancra tie downs to secure them to the truck.

I place the chock in the truck bed and attach the ratchet straps with the approximate length I'll need already set.

I place a cut in half tennis ball (bright green) on the roof of the cab, directly over the wheel chock. This keeps the head and eyes up and allows for perfect alignment.

I remove the seat from the motorcycle and place the foam pad on the seat rails. If it's a bike with a Tour Pak/top case I empty it completely.

If a bike is fuel injected I will start the bike and let it warm up for a moment. If carbed, I will warm it up even more to avoid a cough on the ramp.

I start at the bottom of the ramp, about 3 feet back from the edge with both feet down and 2 fingers on the front brake. I slowly ease out the clutch and climb the ramp looking at the tennis ball (especially important with fairing bikes). If you can't ride a motorcycle very slowly using the friction zone of the clutch you shouldn't try to put a motorcycle in the bed of a pick up until you can.

Once I'm up the ramp I gently apply the front brake and use the throttle, clutch and front brake simultaneously to put the front wheel into the chock. I kill the engine, leave it gear and reach down and attach the two front straps before I get off the bike. Then I tighten them up and add rear straps that PULL THE BIKE FORWARD. Re-adjust the straps all the way around, load the ramps and use the Ancra straps to keep them from sliding out of the bed.

Re-install the seat.

I drive a little ways and then check the straps again, especially if it's raining. They seem to stretch a little when wet.

What I do to get it out:

Park truck so rear of truck bed is sloping down hill. Opposite of what most people want to do but I'm a one man operation. I have to be able to get the bike out of the chock without someone to push me.

Install/secure ramps.

Remove seat/install foam pad.

Remove rear straps, straddle bike and remove front straps.

Rock the bike out of the wheel chock (in neutral) and back the bike to the lip of the ramp and stop it with the front brake. Put the bike in 1st gear and hold in the clutch. TAKE YOUR HAND OFF THE FRONT BRAKE AND CLOSE IT AROUND THE THROTTLE; IT'S USELESS GOING BACKWARDS ON RUNG STYLE RAMPS.

With the engine NOT running, the bike in 1st gear and the clutch in; walk the bike backwards and use the clutch to slow or completely stop the bike as you back down the ramp with both feet on the ramp(s). When you get near the end transition point fully engage the clutch and let the front wheel roll clear of the ramp. Put side stand down, install the seat and put away your equipment. No drama, no big deal and no Youtube "Watch this" video.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 04-06-2018 at 08:14 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Campy Roadie:
jt metal (04-06-2018), mo cajun (04-08-2018), rideon (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 07:42 AM
jt metal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Fredh
Here’s my setup, you can see the rear wheel isn’t right on the tailgate. This is the 6 1/2 foot bed
What are you using to support, plywood?

Ok.....I have a bolt in wheel chock. That I can bolt to a piece of plywood. I have the soft ties and straps. Also have a folding ramp with 1500lb capacity.
I will give this a try. And see how it goes.

Thanks to all responses. Joe

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-24-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:55 AM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 33,004 Likes on 12,902 Posts

here's another look at mine. the angle of the camera doesn't quite tell the whole store, but all of the weight of that rear tire is firmly in the bed. With the Wheel Dock up front, that bike didn't move a 1/16th of an inch the whole trip

Old 04-06-2018, 08:09 AM
Fredh
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jt metal
What are you using to support, plywood?
that’s a piece of 3/4 “ plywood with a homemade chock bolted to the front. It sits in the bed and I tie the bike to the bed tie downs

The following users liked this post:
jt metal (04-07-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 08:36 AM
jt metal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

So, I see you guys take bags off. I guess that makes sense. One less thing to get in the way.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:43 AM
67Shuv
Road Master
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 407 Likes on 249 Posts

I've always left the bags on, while hauling. But loading/unloading I'll pop the left bag off so I don't have to dodge it walking next to the bike.

Another option is a bike dolly that pins into your hitch. My dad uses one a lot. He pulls a 16' toy hauler camper and has a hitch on the back of the camper. He'll put a bike inside the trailer and dolly another or his trike behind that. Been cross country that way a few times. He just rolls the belt off the bike being dollied, zip ties it out of the way, and on the road he goes. It's about like this one. Super easy to use.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F323181538406

Old 04-06-2018, 08:59 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,880 Likes on 19,352 Posts

Originally Posted by 71on72
Be careful strapping down too tight in front. I’ve seen people bend front of bed. I put a 1 inch board (shelving) across the front. Or chocks.
Be careful strapping down too tight in front. I’ve seen people bend front of bed ... Yep, I've seen this happen many times !!

Quick Reply: Hauling bike in truck bed.