General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The $700 Speeding Fine

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 01:23 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The $700 Speeding Fine

This past weekend, I went to my brother's house in Nashville, TN to pick up two of my nieces. I keep them for a week each year. It's a blast! We have so much fun going to the Jacksonville Zoo, the Gator Farm, visiting family, and generally hanging out.

The are five years old and ten months old. You can imagine how traveling with them is a chore. The drive from my brother's house to mine can be made in eight hours, but with the girls, it'll take a little longer. We gotta stop to pee and feed the younger one every two hours.

On my way back from my brother's house on Sunday, I was passing through Tifton, GA on I-75. The older one said she had to pee and the 10 month old was starting to get really fussy. I don't have any children of my own, so I was beginning to unravel a little. We were going to stop by my Grandmother's house in Tifton for a short visit and were going to be there soon.

I knew the exit was coming up, but I wasn't really sure the exit number. All I knew was that it was 8th Street. I started seeing signs for Tifton and thought I should merge over.

I-75 is three lane right there and I was in the far left with my cruise control on 80 in a 70 mph zone. There was a line of trucks in the tow right lanes. I could've either slowed traffic by waiting for them to pass or pass them myself and keep things flowing smooth. I chose to pass them myself.

That choice got me the blue light special. The officer stopped me and a corvette at the same time. I was clocked at 90 mph.

The officer was very courteous. He asked me for my license and registration. I asked why I was stopped and he said, "You were doing 90 in a 70 with two little babies in the back."

I didn't argue or put up a fight. I was courteous right back to him and handled our affairs very businesslike. I never apologized or offered any explanation.

He handed me the citation and told me to call a number to find out how to pay my fine. There was no amount on it. I called on Tuesday and was connected with the Tift County Clerk's office. I was told the fine for that citation was $700.

I asked her if she was serious. She stated that she was. I asked her if there was a school I could attend to reduce the fine and she said no. The only way to reduce the fine would be to go to court.

Now, I'm all for people obeying the law and taking others' safety into consideration and I have no problem with owning up to my bad decisions. But $700 seems a little excessive. Looks like I'll be going to court over this one.

Hopefully the officer won't show and it'll be dropped, or I can plead my case and the fine will be reduced.

I wonder how many people in Tift County don't end up paying the fine and are driving around on suspended licenses?

Old 06-21-2007, 01:29 PM
ckgdrums
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The $700 Speeding Fine

Holy Crap!!! That's ridiculous. [:@]

Old 06-21-2007, 01:31 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I wonder how much of this excessive fine is because you're out of state and they figure they can screw you and you won't come back to contest it. $700 for 20 mph over the speed limit is insane.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:35 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike, I'm glad I know you, I don't know many RUB's that can afford that kind of a fine.

[sm=confused06.gif][sm=gears.gif]

Old 06-21-2007, 01:43 PM
JHeiser
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IN Florida they just started Enhanced Fine Speed Control Zones along l-95. If you get caught in one of those areas doing 20 over the posted speed limit it is a mandatory court appearance with zero tolerance and the fineSTARTS at $500 plus court costs and it doesnt matter if the trooper shows in court or not. They just started doing this and FHP is very serious about enforcement in those areas. If you are caught doing 25 or more over the posted speed limit you will have your vehicle impounded and you will spend the night in a cell or until the judge can see you in court. These enhanced zonesapply to everyone equallyregardless of being an instate or out of state resident.

2 years back my brother-in-law got a ticket on l-75 just outside of Macon $850 for speeding in a construction zone - same thing didn't know the amount until he called the court house.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:44 PM
XL1200N
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the LEO add child endangerment or was it just a 20 mph speeding ticket? Either way that's very high I would think.

Brian

Old 06-21-2007, 01:53 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

Received 24,091 Likes on 5,311 Posts

It sounds to me that the officer made a point of the fact that you were not just speeding, but speeding" with two little babies in the back." In your particular case, there was no real issue of irresponsibility. In other cases, however, there could have been, and LEOs in general are not too happy about small children being involved in what could be interpreted as rash behavior.

You said you "never apologized or offered any explanation." Although generally the best way to handle these situations is the way you handled it--say as little as possible and treat the officer courteously--perhaps an explanation might have helped in this case.

In any event, if I were in your shoes I would definitely follow up with a court date, and an attempt to explain your actions to the judge. It can't hurt, and may help get a reduction in the fine.

Either way, good luck.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:09 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You were doing 90? cut across 2 lanes of trafficto make an exit?with 2 kids in the car? Sorry, I don't feel bad for yea.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:11 PM
LowriderFXRS
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a good thing you have all those $5 donations rolling in.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:13 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Ka-ching, Ka-ching $$$. Does the goverment's need to steal every last nickel from youever end? Of course, this is about "safety". Please. Ifit were about safety, they'd be lookingfor the nitwits that drive likemaniacsand almost kill people by cutting across 3 lanes at 90mph and cutting someone off. But this would maketoo much sense, involve too much work and not be nearly as lucrative as what the Enhanced Fine Speed Control Zones. If they thought they could get away with it, they'd have the right to sieze cars and sell them for any speeding offense. But it's all about "safety" and"for the children". [:@][:'(]

ORIGINAL: JHeiser

IN Florida they just started Enhanced Fine Speed Control Zones along l-95. If you get caught in one of those areas doing 20 over the posted speed limit it is a mandatory court appearance with zero tolerance and the fineSTARTS at $500 plus court costs and it doesnt matter if the trooper shows in court or not. They just started doing this and FHP is very serious about enforcement in those areas. If you are caught doing 25 or more over the posted speed limit you will have your vehicle impounded and you will spend the night in a cell or until the judge can see you in court. These enhanced zonesapply to everyone equallyregardless of being an instate or out of state resident.

2 years back my brother-in-law got a ticket on l-75 just outside of Macon $850 for speeding in a construction zone - same thing didn't know the amount until he called the court house.

Quick Reply: The $700 Speeding Fine