General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The $700 Speeding Fine

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 04:35 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The $700 Speeding Fine

ORIGINAL: murph3204

i don't understand why people have to drive sobloody fast. I've beencruising along at the speed limitplenty of times, 65 or 70 and it's inevetable that someone will pass doing 90+ mph. Someone else sees them and goes by even faster. The problem is there aren't enough LEO's out there enforcing the laws and ensuring the public safety for the benefit of others. This isn't Germany and it's not the Autobahn. just my .02
I wholeheartedly agree. Driving back from Dallas today, it seemed like a perpetual task just to get the helll out of the way of the guys running up on you and riding your tailgate. I'd be going 70 and folks would routinely pass me up going upwards of 90 or better. And more than likely, these are the same folks who would **** and moan were they to get ticketed for same.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:45 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok, never mind.......

ORIGINAL: dynamike74

ORIGINAL: petemac

I wonder how much of this excessive fine is because you're out of state and they figure they can screw you and you won't come back to contest it. $700 for 20 mph over the speed limit is insane.
My driver's license is a GA license and my residence is in GA (albeit the very far Southeastern corner). I just tell people I'm from Jacksonville, FL 'cause no one knows where St Marys, GA is

Old 06-21-2007, 04:49 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I have to be in agreement with the others. Whatever the situation 90mph in a 70 with 2 kids is ridiculous for any reason. I-75 has many exits, if you miss one, take the next and go back. 10 minutes max lost and the kids are still safe. You were exceeding the speed limit and are crying about the fine. I guess this will put a dent in your Sturgis trip or will we see a thread of "send $5 to pay my fine"? If you're going to spped, you gotta be willing to pay the fine. My question is, if you knew you were approaching the town and your exit, why didn't you move to the right lane a few miles before you thought the exit was coming up?

Kids come first Dude. 90mph is too fast

Bubba

Old 06-21-2007, 04:50 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

I thought we drove fast here in MA. 80 in the left lane and you're pretty good for not being run down from behind. Everytime I go to CA if I'm doing 80 it better be in the breakdown lane or I'll be run off the road!

ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007

ORIGINAL: murph3204

i don't understand why people have to drive sobloody fast. I've beencruising along at the speed limitplenty of times, 65 or 70 and it's inevetable that someone will pass doing 90+ mph. Someone else sees them and goes by even faster. The problem is there aren't enough LEO's out there enforcing the laws and ensuring the public safety for the benefit of others. This isn't Germany and it's not the Autobahn. just my .02
I wholeheartedly agree. Driving back from Dallas today, it seemed like a perpetual task just to get the helll out of the way of the guys running up on you and riding your tailgate. I'd be going 70 and folks would routinely pass me up going upwards of 90 or better. And more than likely, these are the same folks who would **** and moan were they to get ticketed for same.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:52 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

I don't think the point was paying the fine, but how high the fine was. And I agree....$700(or more) for 20 mph over the speed limit is excessive. But hey, they have to pay those gubmit salaries somehow.

ORIGINAL: 55Bubba

I have to be in agreement with the others. Whatever the situation 90mph in a 70 with 2 kids is ridiculous for any reason. I-75 has many exits, if you miss one, take the next and go back. 10 minutes max lost and the kids are still safe. You were exceeding the speed limit and are crying about the fine. I guess this will put a dent in your Sturgis trip or will we see a thread of "send $5 to pay my fine"? If you're going to spped, you gotta be willing to pay the fine. My question is, if you knew you were approaching the town and your exit, why didn't you move to the right lane a few miles before you thought the exit was coming up?

Bubba

Old 06-21-2007, 04:59 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not pissing and moaning. Just stating the facts and my point of view on the fine.

I routinely travel 10 mph over the posted speed limit. Rarely do I travel faster than that. I also respect the fast and slow lane rules. If you're in the slow lane and want to go 10 under, than that;s your business. If I'm in the fast lane, I need to be traveling fast enough so that I'm not being passed by others on my right.

Also, the father of those little girls is an LEO. That's how I know how to act when I get stopped.

Mike

Old 06-21-2007, 05:06 PM
floydpink
Tourer

The father is LEO? You shoud be paying a doctor to be removing the nightstick from your ****, and he shouldn't let you within a mile of his kids when driving.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:09 PM
notorious
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: dynamike74

Not pissing and moaning. Just stating the facts and my point of view on the fine.

I routinely travel 10 mph over the posted speed limit. Rarely do I travel faster than that. I also respect the fast and slow lane rules. If you're in the slow lane and want to go 10 under, than that;s your business. If I'm in the fast lane, I need to be traveling fast enough so that I'm not being passed by others on my right.

Also, the father of those little girls is an LEO. That's how I know how to act when I get stopped.

Mike

Now I'm not saying that speeding is right, but defense of Mike.In and aroundI-75you will get run over if you don't travel the speed of the traffic. You may have to exceed 90 at times to get over into a turn lane. The last time I drove through I passed my exit x4 before I could get over and I was well in the 90mph range, white knuckled and my passenger (from up north) didn't speak for nearly an hour.

Yea, the ticket is kinda steep though.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:16 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: petemac

I don't think the point was paying the fine, but how high the fine was. And I agree....$700(or more) for 20 mph over the speed limit is excessive. But hey, they have to pay those gubmit salaries somehow.

ORIGINAL: 55Bubba

Bubba

Yes, that was the point. Most people posting in this thread don't get it.

And since EVERYBODY posting here obeys the posted speed limit all the time, they don't care that GSP will issue you a $700 fine for speeding. Good for them, they don't need my warning.

For those of you that do get it and appreciate my warning, thanks for the kind words and support.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:19 PM
fordpartsguy
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: JHeiser

IN Florida they just started Enhanced Fine Speed Control Zones along l-95. If you get caught in one of those areas doing 20 over the posted speed limit it is a mandatory court appearance with zero tolerance and the fineSTARTS at $500 plus court costs and IT DOESN'T MATTER IF THE TROOPER SHOWS IN COURT OR NOT. They just started doing this and FHP is very serious about enforcement in those areas. If you are caught doing 25 or more over the posted speed limit you will have your vehicle impounded and you will spend the night in a cell or until the judge can see you in court. These enhanced zonesapply to everyone equallyregardless of being an instate or out of state resident.

2 years back my brother-in-law got a ticket on l-75 just outside of Macon $850 for speeding in a construction zone - same thing didn't know the amount until he called the court house.
The first time someone challenges that on Constitutional grounds the state of Florida will lose big time. The last time I checked we have the RIGHT to face our accuser. I've had several tickets thrown out over the years simply due to the fact the officer was absent.

Quick Reply: The $700 Speeding Fine