General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The $700 Speeding Fine

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 06:53 AM
AceHog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The $700 Speeding Fine

Mike

There's something I don't understand and I just don't get it? WHY would you even post something like this on the forums? I mean don't you have family and friends you can confide in, instead of spelling your guts to total strangers. I have no idea why people on these forums have to tell personnel stories then get their ba**s kick in.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:53 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If I got a ticket for 20 over, I would lose my job. Our insurance company (the City's) has a policy regarding violations/accidents, or OR off duty.

Disqualifiers from being insured to drive a city vehicle? DUI, reckless, fleeing the scene, open container, and ANY speeding ticket for 20 or more over the speed limit.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:01 AM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Broken Leg Rider

ORIGINAL: dynamike74

ORIGINAL: Broken Leg Rider

Fraid in my opinion you got what was deserved, although $400 seems more in order that $900. Why do you need to go 90? 60 behind a few trucks just until a nearby exit is no good reason to hit 90 and pass them.
I have no problem going 60 behind some trucks until I come to the exit I need to get off at. The problem is that I would've had to slow to less than that to allow them to pass so I could get behind them in the first place. 55 in the left lane on that part of i-75 is suicide.
Sorry. It seems YOUR only correct alternative was to miss the exit. No immediate danger would have resulted, simply an inconveniance.

So, you chose 90 to avoid inconvenience. Didn't work that time, huh.

$700 is a bit over the top, agreed.

Doyou conclude that those who dissagree with you are simply evincing "Holy-er than Thow attitude?" You were looking for sympathy and are surprised to find so many with very little? That should tell you something unless you are too proud to listen. I'm certainly not holy-er than thow.

I had one ticket for going135 (we were going faster than that actually) in Mississippiwhile runningmy hopped 77 Trans-Am against a Shelby Mustang and aboss Camero. We weren't even tooled up yetwhen they sprung the trap (were onto our radio frequency). Shelby was up with my Trans real close and gainin! Camero was lagging. Then the lights came at us barreling down an entrance ramp. This was a $200 fine each, paid on the spot to the judge's name- and not considered especially reckless .No traffic late at night. But I didn't go around looking for sympathy. That ticketnever wasreported tomy insurance. I think the cop's name was Bubba Jr. BubbaSr. and the rest of the guyswere at the next exit in casewe decided to out run the cruisers. Woulda landed in the klinker for that. Racing not so bad. Running- very, verybad.
I'm not looking for sympathy and have no problem with people who think I made a bad choice. Not everyone posting dissident towards me is being extreme. Some are and some aren't.

And no, I'm not too proud to listen to those who are not too almighty to offer sound advice, criticism, or encouragement.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:03 AM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member

That's an interesting way to look at it.

ORIGINAL: jimbo21165

Mike, here's how you gotta take the ticket....

You stated, so it's on record now, that you often drive over the posted speed of 70, correct?

Ok, now we are getting somewhere....let's say, for example, you drive on the interstate, ohhhh...40 times a month. Not 40 days, but 40 times.

12monthsX40 instances=480

Now, you say that you haven't had a ticket in 17 years....

Let's multiply 17 years by 480 instances....

We get 8160.

Now, we divide $700 by 8160 times you sped.

It cost you $.085...that's 8 and a half cents....each time you sped, and broke the law. Consider this a speed tax.

You owe, dude!

Old 06-23-2007, 11:05 AM
floydpink
Tourer

Ace,

Good question about why post the story here. My guess, based on others he has posted, is it is a way to create controvery, which in turn creates attention. That might frive people to notice him and ultimately sell subscriptions to the magazine he is affiliated with.

The most ironic thing about the whole story is he is affiliated with a magazine called BRAIN bucket!!!!

Old 06-23-2007, 11:07 AM
floydpink
Tourer

I mispelled drive and put frive. Sorry. I am sure I am misunderstanding the whole situation as I haven't read the whole post.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:16 AM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ouch, that is alot on money[&:]

Old 06-23-2007, 11:20 AM
dan69co
Tourer

Look at it this way. Could have been much worse. IE,speeding through Denver ,at this speed ,on your bike ,with aftermarket pipes.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:32 AM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: AceHog

Mike

There's something I don't understand and I just don't get it? WHY would you even post something like this on the forums? I mean don't you have family and friends you can confide in, instead of spelling your guts to total strangers. I have no idea why people on these forums have to tell personnel stories then get their ba**s kick in.
That's a good question and one that some of my family struggle with from time to time. I blog ( http://www.brainbucketmag.com/Blogs/...=dynamike.html ). It's part of what I do.

Some of the topics I post are not comfortable discussion for everyone. Sometimes, they are a little personal. Sometimes they are a little controversial. Nevertheless, they sometimes get people talking about stuff they would not otherwise discuss, which is good.

Why do I post personal topics? What some may consider personal to them, others may not. Evidently, I don't consider this topic personal. You and others might.

I know for some it may be a difficult concept to digest. That's why they accuse me of trying to stir up controversy and publicity for Brain Bucket. Several more will accuse me in the future as well. There are much more effective ways to drive traffic to my site. This is not a publicity stunt.

I have been blessed with a platform most others do not have. I would like to think that I have some sort of civic duty to open certain discussions. You might think that is a self righteous point of view.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:33 AM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: floydpink

I am sure I am misunderstanding the whole situation as I haven't read the whole post.
Only you can fix that. Go back and read the whole thread.

Quick Reply: The $700 Speeding Fine